• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Kijiji lathe

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/kingston-on/metal-lathe/1421560358

Not a lot of info in the ad. No pictures. Asking $950

Emailed the owner, the reply was “i’ve had offers up to $1100 already, when can you come look at it?” “It’s a south bend”

Is this something I need to book tomorrow off and jump in the truck to go buy?

I WAS in Kingston Tuesday night around 8:00 pm but he didn’t email me back until later, then today the road took me into New York and across to Buffalo so the wrong way completely

Emailed him back today, sorry dispatch sent me the wrong way, if it’s still for sale by the weekend I’ll swing up then to look at it.

Got back “ok” as the reply

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
There are a lot of SBs out there for parts. Frankly it is such a simple, reliable lathe that parts are fairly easily made for them. They are overbuilt so not much can go wrong with them if cared for.

As a starter lathe, they just can't be beat. If I had to choose between a SB9a and the 'high-end' busy bee lathe, I'd take the SB in a hearbeat.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
There are a lot of SBs out there for parts. Frankly it is such a simple, reliable lathe that parts are fairly easily made for them. They are overbuilt so not much can go wrong with them if cared for.

As a starter lathe, they just can't be beat. If I had to choose between a SB9a and the 'high-end' busy bee lathe, I'd take the SB in a hearbeat.
I will try to snag this one, I hope to get there fast enough

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well don’t buy some clapped out piece of crap. Be careful. There’s articles on the web that describe what to look for. Go read some. No photos is a turn off to me and if he says I’ve been offered more than asking already why isn’t it sold already? Seems fishy to me

trlvn

Ultra Member
I saw that listing. With no pictures, it could be anything from a smashed, rusted-out hulk that's been in a fire anywhere up to NOS!

If you do get a chance to look at it, we all like pictures! ;)

Craig

GlenB

Well I'm not smart enough to add a link not computer savvy but to my Ontario brothers if you go on govtdeals .ca there are 4 Harrison L5 up for bid ranging around 300.00 I'm having a hard time not biding as they say not to remove lathe from the bench in everything I've read which won't work to go into my basement

trlvn

Ultra Member
The serial numbers on the Harrison L5 lathes suggest they are all from 1965. Wonder if there are any goodies inside the cabinets??

Also offerring a shaper:

6343_888_3-1.jpg

https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=888&acctid=6343
current bid $150

And a horizontal milling machine:
6343_886_3-1.jpg

https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=886&acctid=6343
Current bid: $150

But many days to go in the auction.

Craig

GlenB

Well if I could separate lathe from cabinet I would be bidding they are 11"swing nice lathes
But all I read from our brothers across the water were the lathes come from said that they are married to the base at factory

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Bargains. You guys out east have a lot of opportunities. GlenB buy a lathe. Nice shaper. I don’t want a shaper but they are cool and that one is in nice shape.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'd love that shaper, but I have more things that I can manage right now. besides transportation to Alberta would cost a fortune!

trlvn

Ultra Member
Bargains. You guys out east have a lot of opportunities. GlenB buy a lathe. Nice shaper. I don’t want a shaper but they are cool and that one is in nice shape.
Let's wait until the auction ends before making that call. Sometimes the price zooms out of the stratosphere and other times the item goes for chump change. I'll bet the lathes will attract a lot of bidders as they aren't too big for a home shop. Don't know about the shaper or milling machine.

For giggles, I'll bet each of the lathes goes for about $1,200 hammer price. With buyer's premium and tax, that's about $1,400 out the door. I think they'd go for more if they had more tooling. As shown, there is no tool post of any kind and only a 3-jaw chuck on each. Unless the buyer has compatible stuff already, they are going to have to spend several hundred more before they can do much of anything with the machine. And who knows how much damage the kids have done to these machines over the past 50+ years!! Maybe my estimate is too high.

Any other guesstimates?

Craig

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've ssen really beat up school lathes go for $$$ here in alberta. Almost unusable junk in the several K dollars.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I haven't followed that govdeals.ca site before. Is it common that there is no inspection? I'd have a hard time bidding serious money based on the few, poor, pictures in the listing.

GlenB

I'm going to say not much more than 600 and usually you can inspect them this one not sure why you can't on this one there was 3 standard moderns in thunder bay couple weeks back reserve was 2000 for 13/40s 2 didn't get bids that's close to our Alberta brothers

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Looks like some great possible deals in Hamilton, ON.

Here in AB we only get deals on very large lathes - 26in swing ones went for 1000 a piece with all fees in.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I passed on a 16X60 YAM lathe with all the accessories last year for 2500, but it weighed nearly 3 tons and the cost to bring it from Edmonton to Calgary was huge. (and it looked like it was used quite hard).

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
16x60 not so bad - are you sure it was 3 tons - my 16x75 is just 1.5 or so. Just checked - http://www.permach.com/manlath/1026.htm 16x40 is just 3000 lbs so 16x60 should be around 3500lbs ... that is not a big deal - I am sure its in better condition then my peace of shit lathe.

The cost from Edmonton is few hundred $$$ - at auction place they usually load it up for you and then you can get it home. I.e. its price of gas for the distance factoring about 20L per 100.

So including few packs of beer the total cost for you would be less than $3000.

If at home you want the easy way of unloading it then rent a gantry crane. Trailer goes under it few movements of the winch and its off, few movements more and its down. Renting is under $200 per day for the largest size available. At Rogers rent all.

I passed on few Harrison 16x60 or so lathes but they went for over 5000 - like 6000 CAD.

I also foolishly passed Czechia made lathes (excellent - better then British) b/c I was not looking for a large lathe then and it seemed "big".

Well that is the punishment for me - I should have spent 4000-5000 CAD and get something decent not a beater for around 1800. But the beater covered in all that oil looked so good... maybe should have watched that video on "how to buy a lathe" first. This way I would not have to read "in defence of a clunker".