• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Kijiji drill press

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
6F106B7D-06E0-4E27-9B83-C73358A37039.jpeg
Grabbed this last night. Came with the stand on the left.

$150

Maybe not a screaming deal but I’m happy.

I guess now I need a vise for it...

trlvn

Ultra Member
With that stand, $150 sounds damn good to me!. That looks basically the same as my Delta 15 inch. Mine has speeds from 250 to 3,000 RPM which has been pretty reasonable. Similar for this one?

BTW, is it just the picture or are one (or more) of the spindle handles bent? Not a difficult fix unless they've used some really wacky thread to attach them.

Craig

Chicken lights

With that stand, $150 sounds damn good to me!. That looks basically the same as my Delta 15 inch. Mine has speeds from 250 to 3,000 RPM which has been pretty reasonable. Similar for this one?

BTW, is it just the picture or are one (or more) of the spindle handles bent? Not a difficult fix unless they've used some really wacky thread to attach them.

Craig
I think it’s just the picture.

To be honest I got it home and unloaded, that’s as far as I got with it.

Well, I did plug it in, to make sure it works. Other than that it’ll have to wait until I’m home again

trlvn

Ultra Member
I hear you. We had friends over for a BBQ this weekend and my son and his girlfriend are moving into an apartment this week. Shop time is going to be hard to come by for the next while.

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
So if you put a bit of slope in the shop floor, and line up the machines, will they all come to you in the right order for the next operation? ;)

Craig

Chicken lights

So if you put a bit of slope in the shop floor, and line up the machines, will they all come to you in the right order for the next operation? ;)

Craig
That would be ideal, just stand in one spot and let the machines move to me when I want them ;)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
You guys have NO idea how nice that is to have a drill press

Yes, I do! I went with out one for years. After I got my metal lathe I realized having one was essential. Got mine off Kijji for $60. Not great but better than nothing. Was going to ditch it when I got my mill/drill but common sense kicked in. It's just too handy for those jobs that are too big or a PITA to setup on the mill and I'm not always drilling metal.

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Yes, I do! I went with out one for years. After I got my metal lathe I realized having one was essential. Got mine off Kijji for $60. Not great but better than nothing. Was going to ditch it when I got my mill/drill but common sense kicked in. It's just too handy for those jobs that are too big or a PITA to setup on the mill and I'm not always drilling metal.
My life was very easy today having a drill press, bandsaw and a vise set up. I’ve been working towards this for a long time now and it’s nice to see the seeds have borne fruit

Tom O

Ultra Member
Just be careful when it bites into your piece and spins it definitely leaves a mark!
I have been thinking about stops for the t slots on my drill press table it would be a easy fit.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have some of these vise grip drill press table clamps. They come in different reach & depth capacity. They are not for all applications but relatively quick to set up & mitigates the 'make a propeller out of your work' syndrome. Also what helps with metal on metal is a piece of paper or thin card stock sandwiched between the work & table.

Attachments

• SNAG-8-19-2019 0000.jpg
    SNAG-8-19-2019 0000.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Until I got a drill press I though bits were supposed to break.
I have a crossslide vice mounted on mine. For larger pieces I have a table that mounts in the vice.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I use my a lot too (I drill very little on my mills). I wouldn't call it a precision instrument, and it needs a tune-up, but for pounding out holes in mounting plates it is invaluable.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
A V Block is a nice to have. Note the table clamp in this pic., it's a must have and cheap at PA.

VBLOCK.JPG

A drill press vise is essential. Easy to setup with table clamps.

DVISE.JPG

Last edited:

Chicken lights

C1E51ED7-DAE6-4164-B64A-21B689A23193.jpeg
Ok so here’s a dumb question

So usually no matter what I’m working with, once you drill through material there’s a burr or chips left proud of the hole. Now I’m not that fussy on some things but there has to be a way to clean up the hole besides a Roloc disc or sandpaper disc in a die grinder

I’ve heard to use the next size bigger drill bit to chamfer the hole that was drilled

I mean it’s not the end of the world but like in the picture if I could avoid the sanding/grinding marks I’d prefer that