• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Keyless Chucks

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
yeah that is the one...
Or if you want new:

But at almost $800!! Ouch.o_O

(It says Royal, but Royal imports Albrecht into the US).

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Or if you want new:

But at almost $800!! Ouch.o_O

(It says Royal, but Royal imports Albrecht into the US).
yeah they are stupid expensive... but when you make models you want very accurate tiny holes.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
yeah they are stupid expensive... but when you make models you want very accurate tiny holes.

Why not go collet route - either jewelers collets or ER11 - the drill can be small but shank can be 1mm. Quality set should not have runout more than few tenths.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Why not go collet route - either jewelers collets or ER11 - the drill can be small but shank can be 1mm. Quality set should not have runout more than few tenths.

I don't have a drilling machine that is delicate enough, which is why the sensitive drilling shank is desirable more than the chuck itself.

What I really need to do is make george thomas' universal pillar tool with the sensitive drilling attachment... I've wanted one for at least 30 years

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I don't have a drilling machine that is delicate enough, which is why the sensitive drilling shank is desirable more than the chuck itself.

What I really need to do is make george thomas' universal pillar tool with the sensitive drilling attachment... I've wanted one for at least 30 years

Depending on what you are drilling, cannot you place a small drill in ER11 1mm shank and then have the ER11 as a straight chuck which is in a *well made* tube that attaches to say your lathe tailstock? You feed the drill by hand - so you feel it - sensitive drilling. the ER11 chuck is ground and the tube it goes into is at least reamed. That is setup similar to what I have and should allow drilling of tiny holes.

Or are we talking about same thing, just you call it differently and I have it horizontal and you vertical?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Depending on what you are drilling, cannot you place a small drill in ER11 1mm shank and then have the ER11 as a straight chuck which is in a *well made* tube that attaches to say your lathe tailstock? You feed the drill by hand - so you feel it - sensitive drilling. the ER11 chuck is ground and the tube it goes into is at least reamed. That is setup similar to what I have and should allow drilling of tiny holes.

Or are we talking about same thing, just you call it differently and I have it horizontal and you vertical?

I'm talking about vertical drilling using small drill press or similar device. If I make a pillar tool I can use any system with the spindle I want, so collets would make a lot of sense.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've been looking for a sensitive drill feed model used for several years with no success.

You mean this?

I gave up on finding a high quality sensitive chuck very early in my search and ended up making my own using a small Chinese chuck. I reasoned that the minute you start holding a darn small chuck in your fingers, the precision is all shot anyway. Maybe that makes sense, maybe it doesn't. But that's what I did.