• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Keeping old outdated tools in the shop

Tool

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just swapped two rear tires on my side x side. Needed both tire changers i have in the shop, one is a very old (coats) it is a manual machine with the bead breaker on the side. Lay the tire on the floor and swing out the arm and put air pressure to it and it comes down to break the bead. We use this feature a lot as my other machine a coats 40-40 has a leak in the bead breaker air system. The 40-40 machine won't work on the atv tires anyway as they are to small in dia. to reach the breaker arm.
I have looked at the old manual tire machine several times with the intent to remove it, then think of the number of times i still need it. Old and outdated kind of like the operator, but useful in a pinch.:)

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Old and outdated tools and equipment are still useful for working on old and outdated machines, and vehicles :D.

I'd really love to have a rim clamp tire changer here. I'm tired of doing it the old fashioned way. But I'd take an old coats center post for the right price, and modify it to work if needed. Anything is better than spoons, and a 2x6/car bead breaker.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
When I retired I was fortunate enough to be able to keep all my equipment, new and old. There have been many times that I was able to still do my own repairs on old or specialty items that I would otherwise be forced to take to another shop. If you have the room for it, keep it. The only thing I have sold was my drum/disc truer. It was taking up room and I had not used it in years. Hated to let it go , but....

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
A young bull and an old bull stood at the top of a hill, looking down upon the valley below where hundreds of cows were grazing.

"Hey! Let's run down this hill and get one of those cows!" exclaimed the young bull.

"No." stated the old bull. After a moment he continued "Let's walk down the hill and get all of them."

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A young bull and an old bull stood at the top of a hill, looking down upon the valley below where hundreds of cows were grazing.

"Hey! Let's run down this hill and get one of those cows!" exclaimed the young bull.

"No." stated the old bull. After a moment he continued "Let's walk down the hill and get all of them."

I heard that a bit different.

A young bull and an old bull were watching a hundred cows grazing in the field. The young bull says to the old bull - look at that heifer over there in the back corner! I'm gunna race out there as fast as I can and do her good! The old bull looks at the young bull and says - you go right ahead there young fella, I'm gunna walk out and do em all!

BMW Rider

Super User
I am the old outdated tool in my garage.

And while we're telling bull stories, One day the farmer brought home a new very large fine looking bull to help service his herd. Among the younger smaller bulls one particularly small fellow started stomping and pawing the ground and acting very tough and feisty. The other young bulls watched this in confusion asking him if he really thought he could challenge the large newcomer to a fight. To which the small bull responded, "I'm not challenging him to a fight, I just want to be sure he knows I'm a bull".

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
If we telling farm stories- friend of mine came along on a road trip through some small towns. One barn had “Nelson Limousin” in big letters on it. My friend asked me why there was a limousine service in the country. I was gonna let it slide but he kept on asking why farmers would need limousines, so I explained it

Funny how that extra “e” on the end completely changes the context

Brian H

Super User
Along the lines of old tools, I have a selection of hand tools I inherited from my grandfather. Many get used regularly some sit on a shelf of honor on the wall. One specific tool is a small hand crank drill that I use specifically for the tiny drills. It has an amazing feel and I have yet to break a bit with it. Another is a small upholstery tack hammer that he taught me to hammer nails with
Now my granddaughters are using it to drill holes and are learning to hammer nails with that same hammer.

Ziggy

Premium Member
Along the lines of old tools, I have a selection of hand tools I inherited from my grandfather. Many get used regularly some sit on a shelf of honor on the wall. One specific tool is a small hand crank drill that I use specifically for the tiny drills. It has an amazing feel and I have yet to break a bit with it. Another is a small upholstery tack hammer that he taught me to hammer nails with
Now my granddaughters are using it to drill holes and are learning to hammer nails with that same hammer.
Yes, old mechanics have old tools. I also have a hand crank drill as described by Brian that I use with a reamer bit. Also a 1 ounce hammer.

Attachments

• P1020574.JPG
    P1020574.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 10

trevj

Ultra Member
Yes, old mechanics have old tools. I also have a hand crank drill as described by Brian that I use with a reamer bit. Also a 1 ounce hammer.
I did a lot of aircraft repair work using a little egg-beater drill like that. You could be doing paperwork, by the time the other guy got the air hoses strung out and was getting ready to start!

I have two larger, two-speed crank drills, both with chest braces (for applying pressure to the dill), that I found un-loved, in our Farm Shop. A little TLC, and they were my cordless drill and cordless screwdriver, for a lot of repairs and projects! Sorta like marriage, sometimes it's nice to not have to listen to high pitched screeching noises, or have to wear ear protection to get things done!

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I too appreciate old tools. Solid and well built. This is my Stanley model 905. No batteries to recharge. I just need to get aroundtoit to make the side handle.

Attachments

• 71990827-85F2-458B-85FF-43036DCDA83E.jpeg
    71990827-85F2-458B-85FF-43036DCDA83E.jpeg
    679.3 KB · Views: 4

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Also on the topic of old tools (machines) - i have acquired a couple of 13” bench top drill presses. A Japanese made KIRA (almost an antique) that i got from @Rauce (from the forum Classifieds). Also I just got a much newer King Canada (China) press i found on Kijiji. I got the King for it’s pulley cover since that was missing on the KIRA. I’ve disassemble both for a good cleaning, greasing and making ready for paint. In the picture below - the column on the left is from the KIRA. It’s a single piece of machined cast iron and weighs 28.2 pounds. The column on the right is from the King. It’s made from a piece of pipe threaded into a steel base. It weighs 9.4 pounds. The other castings and parts of the KIRA are similarly beefier than that of the King.
Speaking of beefier - True story: an old bull and a young bull came over a hill top and saw several cows in the valley. The young bull got all excited and said he was gonna run down there, jump the fence and bang one of those cows. The old bull said he was going down the path, through the gate and would bang all of ‘em. The young bull took off in a cloud of dust and jumped the fence. Unfortunately the fence was a bit higher that he had expected and the barbed wire ripped off his balls. As the old bull walked by, he said to the agonizing youngster- don’t worry sonny, you can always be a - - - - (fill the blank ie politician, accountant, lawyer, consultant, or whatever your brother-in-law is)

Attachments

• 53F245B3-1F51-4513-833A-6881A483B573.jpeg
    53F245B3-1F51-4513-833A-6881A483B573.jpeg
    670.6 KB · Views: 12

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Me too. This one I inherited from my Dad. The hammer is from my IBM OPCE tool case.
1686168030159.png

This one I bought from the wooden boat shop and still has a $50 sticker on it but I don't think I paid that. The hammer I've had since my '64 MGB bought in 1974. It's 17.5" long compared to the red handled one that is 10.5" long.
1686168155202.png