Just got my first lathe, and can’t find metal stock to practice!

Smi_tty

Hello all. I just got started in this hobby - i have a myford ml10 lathe which I have been learning alot on. So far i have just been practicing on some iron pipe and a couple of pieces of aluminum I happen to have on hand from other projects.

i’m having a difficult time finding solid steel bar here in Calgary. Do any members here have some off cuts I can purchase via social distancing lol?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I'm not in Calgary but I've been going to a local fab shop and picked up end cuts. Works out about the same cost or less as the MSM but I don't have to drive 2 hours ( round trip) to get material. Rigid plastic pipe is a good practice material, it's cheaper than metal and rel easy to clean up.
Have you got a shop near by?, all they can do is say no.
And welcome to the playground, what lathe did you get?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not in Calgary but I've been going to a local fab shop and picked up end cuts. Works out about the same cost or less as the MSM but I don't have to drive 2 hours ( round trip) to get material. Rigid plastic pipe is a good practice material, it's cheaper than metal and rel easy to clean up.
Where are you going @YotaBota?

Everett

Super User
If you swing by a heavy truck shop with some doughnuts (ok, or home-baked cookies since sometimes even Timmy's isn't going) and talk with the owner or shop foreman you might be able to pick through their bin. Things like S-cam shafts, old spring u-bolts, steering linkage, etc. are good material to work with. You might need to wire wheel some corrosion from the outside of them but with the price like that it's worth it. Heavy truck shops are part of the "essential industry" so like our shop many are still working.

Smi_tty

I defi
There is a whole topic area of this forum dedicated to sourcing metal stock.

https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/forums/sourcing-metal-stock.34/

Do you have the means to c

lengths down to size?[/QUOTE

Yes i have the means to cut down stock no problem. Were the end cuts you got playe or pipe? I’m looking for solid round tubing.

I checked the scrap metal thread, and most of those places I have used in the past. I figured someone on here would have a “map” of where to go scrounge this week so I don’t hit and miss!

Smi_tty

Its a myford ML10 lathe. I’m trying to keep the costs low right now with all the covid stuff going on, so i’d rather stay away from buying in bulk just at the moment.

That being said, I do not have a problem paying for offcuts from any of you guys.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Its a myford ML10 lathe. I’m trying to keep the costs low right now with all the covid stuff going on, so i’d rather stay away from buying in bulk just at the moment.

That being said, I do not have a problem paying for offcuts from any of you guys.
I don't know if Metal SuperMarkets in Calgary is open (I'm hoping yes as they are classified as an essential service) but they have lots of off-cuts. Pricey, but good for off cuts.

If you let us all know what you want, steel, AL, pipe, solid, etc., that helps. I can look through my bin as well. @YotaBota 's suggestion of rigid plastic pipe is a terrific one, and cheap. Home Reno stores are open. Additionally if you prefer shipment, look at solid acetal round stock; it's inexpensive and cheap to ship. Great to practice on. In fact I turn more acetal than steel on my lathe I think. Super good material for practice and practical for bushings, offset plates, etc. Move up a step to Delrin (POM H) and you great pretty indestructible plastic.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
well yah. Steel Inc, or Federal Metals, smaller diameter round won't set you back too much. Other stuff available at the hardware store: rebar, gas pipe, electrical grounding rod.

10' feet of 1/2" round at Federal is $5! 10' of 1" is $20.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Socially distance yourself on a walk in new construction areas, scrap steel always around, usually in the mud, that’s free to anyone who picks it up, from the recycling bin might wanna ask but most would say yes. in a dumpster? Take it! Saves on weight just don’t hurt yourself is all I’ve ever heard

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Before I had a powered metal saw, I was buying cylinder pins from PA to feed my mini-lathe:eek: They come in diameters and lengths a mini-lathe can accommodate without cutting. I didn't know MSM existed at that point in time.... Well that's not quite true, I knew it existed but most of the discounted cut offs were too long to use without resorting to the hacksaw:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Smi_tty

Where did you find the myford ML10?
It was actually given to me by my boss, who acquired it from another fellow. I have been using it for things here and tgere which we can use at the shop. Win win!

i’ll definitely hit up federal for those sizes of rod. Didn’t realuze it was that cheap.. Im looking more for like,1.5” solid bars.

Smi_tty

Before I had a powered metal saw, I was buying cylinder pins from PA to feed my mini-lathe:eek: They come in diameters and lengths a mini-lathe can accommodate without cutting. I didn't know MSM existed at that point in time.

aren’t those pins hardened steel?? Do you have a link?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A Myford lathe certainly is a nice lathe for a lathe to "learn" on! You wont be needing to upgrade to improve quality, as that wont be done in a small new lathe anymore. Enjoy.

I'd suggest getting as much aluminum as you can to practice on, it usually turns easy and beautiful. Scrap steel tends to be more hit and miss as to how it turns and finishes ( at least in my experience)

Brian H

Super User
Just my 2 cents. I have had the same problems here in SK. I took some time to build some relationships (including showing up with donuts) with some of the manufacturing business' for access to the scrap metal bins. I also stop by the local metal recyclers every month or so. It does take time.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Aircraft Spruce (Canada) sell 6061 & 2024 aluminum at pretty decent prices. I had to get some specific diameter/alloys in the past so stocked up on various sizes in same 1 ft length just because it was going to cost the same to ship. I can't recall if it was DHL or similar service but shipping cost from wasn't crazy. Depending on what you are after vs. local pickup might offset one another but a good link to keep in mind. Not much in the way of steel rod (solid) mostly tubular alloys. https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/menus/me/aluminum.html

Another source of good quality steel depending on the diameter & length is bolts, new or used.

Some guys here on the forum are auction savyy. Mostly looking for tools & equipment but you also see example of obscure things like 'pail of rods' that doesn't attract much attention & could be had cheap. Just have to be careful about mystery metal or if its been hardened or grades of stainless that can be a pita that may discourage learning.

A nice steel to machine is 12L14 also available at Metal Supermarket in certain diameters.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have had a very different experience with my local Metal Supermarket.
Earlier this year I bought a few various lengths and diameters of 6061, 1018 and 12L.
When I compared the prices I paid against several online retailers in the US and accounted for exchange rate the prices were within pennies per ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smi_tty

I don't know if Metal SuperMarkets in Calgary is open (I'm hoping yes as they are classified as an essential service) but they have lots of off-cuts. Pricey, but good for off cuts.

If you let us all know what you want, steel, AL, pipe, solid, etc., that helps. I can look through my bin as well. @YotaBota 's suggestion of rigid plastic pipe is a terrific one, and cheap. Home Reno stores are open. Additionally if you prefer shipment, look at solid acetal round stock; it's inexpensive and cheap to ship. Great to practice on. In fact I turn more acetal than steel on my lathe I think. Super good material for practice and practical for bushings, offset plates, etc. Move up a step to Delrin (POM H) and you great pretty indestructible plastic.

Best of luck.
I’m looking for solid mild steel. Round bar, 1”-2” preferably. Really anything will help me. I really want to try and make some items on it. I’ve been messing around with garbage tubing I habe laying around, so I’m ready. 0059684D-07C9-48C0-968A-512B0D951899.jpeg 31143C59-A299-4616-AC79-46EE424B3636.jpeg D5D85720-FAD3-4734-BA13-F78C7F6D4788.jpeg