Just able to revisit the forum, missed it immensely

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well
We all have our own "bedside manner" right ?

It is worth noting the criticism though and looking inward at the chances we each have in our own little "less important worlds" to perhaps take the time to recognize that basic civility and basic exhibiting of compassion and respect for someone undergoing some kind of trauma is a fundamental societal underpinning that keeps things well-oiled, just like our machinery. Just as we shouldn't let our hearts bleed for every situation and person outside of our own sphere of control, allowing our hearts to harden up to the point of demonstrable indifference (or worse) is equally wrong - no ?

Glad to hear you got what you needed and the system isn't all totally broken down. My mom had a very similar situation in November out in Vancouver (short notice surgery on something that was long overdue but was desperately needed... however, with that said some proper planning and reasonable measure of pre-prep would have been ideal. We are in times now though that are very far from ideal, and likely some guy needing a knee transplant didn't get the call because the pros deemed your situation more critical.

That doctor would probably have been right there for you, as you say, had there been complications. There wasn't, so he didn't need to be a further hero (although he is for what he did do successfully), and then he just didn't spike the ball by being well-rounded on the bedside manner front afterwards. Probably 2-3 minutes with you would have made all the difference...

further edit comment: Dusty's post came in while I was typing mine -Voila !

Well said.

But I would easily forgive him if he was running full out saving somebody else's life or even running at zero hugging the kids he didn't have time to hug while saving @historicalarms life.

Just my two cents for whatever it's worth.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Well

Well said.

But I would easily forgive him if he was running full out saving somebody else's life or even running at zero hugging the kids he didn't have time to hug while saving @historicalarms life.

Just my two cents for whatever it's worth.

Would also like to add if it wasn't for dedicated nurses one's hospital stay would be a night mare and yes right after my 3rd knee surgery I met the wicket witch nurse of the west. Telling me to put my hearing aids in and she didn't want to listen to the reason why because they squeal at each other soon as your head hits the pillow. I hope her broom develops early engine failure and she flames out behind the barn.
Devil made me say that. LOL

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think very many people get to call themselves old without staring death in the eye a few times. I've certainly done it a few times myself. It's always humbling to realize what many people in our world do to look after the physical and emotional needs of others, and also disheartening to realize that there really are people who don't care at all.

All in all, I am grateful to live in a first world country like Canada. The balance of life, and even the worth of life, is far too often so much different elsewhere.

trlvn

Ultra Member
the wicket witch nurse of the west.
Its a good thing...in a way! You need to interpret it that you're well enough that they know you can take some sh!t! If they're all super nice to you, you've got to wonder if you're going to leave in a box. ;)

Craig
(I had surgery just before Christmas 2020. Never saw any of the nurses for a second shift. Some were great. One was...a lot less great. The only repeat was the sweet lady that came around to take blood samples each morning.)

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm hoping for a full and speedy recovery! A friend of mine had a triple at age 80. He's 90 now and still going strong!

All the best
Yes it's amazing what they can do now and techniques and medicine improves all the time. My father died of heart disease and there was not the treatment options back then that there are now. I've inherited the disease in quite a bit worse way but modern medicine has given me life that surely would have ended without it.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
It sounds like we all have our experiences with the health system.

Covid or Not, there are many aspects of a hospital stay that can leave you with a feeling of helplessness while you await for your turn.
Doctors, Nurses and their Support Staff work in an environment that is critiqued constantly.
Put yourself in their shoes and try to picture the demands of their jobs.

While I spent a few days in hospital, I helped the Medical Staff test a scheduling software to organize their days and make better use of collaborating with other departments.

I have did my fair share of travelling and working in other countries and it is always a relief to get back to Canada.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
yes I'm home now for 12 days Dave. I can negotiate around the house with that damn walker but tire out very quickly.
I have had a couple visitors for a cup-a and appreciate them very much ...you plan'in in on being in the neighborhood ?

and thanks boys for all the well wish's
I’ll do my best next week to make it by the homestead, sir

Dispatch gonna be confused how I get lost but hey dispatch confused how velcro works so....

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I’ll do my best next week to make it by the homestead, sir

Dispatch gonna be confused how I get lost but hey dispatch confused how velcro works so....
Looking forward to a visit Dave if doable for you....just a heads up tho that I am unable to clean the snow from the yard to accommodate your outfit but you can just park on the side of the road for a visit. The road is clean at this time & you will have a mile & a half to go to get back to pavement

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Looking forward to a visit Dave if doable for you....just a heads up tho that I am unable to clean the snow from the yard to accommodate your outfit but you can just park on the side of the road for a visit. The road is clean at this time & you will have a mile & a half to go to get back to pavement

Sounds a lot like his visit to my place......

Chicken lights

I’ll plan for the worst

There’s talk of me being oversized heading home too, but there’s nothing between Edmonton and Alix I can remember being worried over

Dumb truck drivers that can’t read directions and get lost happens every day :D

Chicken lights

@historicalarms
How goes the recuperation?

I bumped into some SK cowboy shooters at a show last weekend and they asked why you hadn’t talked me into going to a match yet. There’s a match coming up this Sunday that, weather permitting, I’m going to try to go watch.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
You a member, too?

No, but I did link up with Doug a few years back at a CAS in Canmore. Reminded me a lot of Steel Challenge which I competed in for numerous years. I think there are small clubs all over AB. Getting Doug to take you to one will be a matter of timing.

Chicken lights

No, but I did link up with Doug a few years back at a CAS in Canmore. Reminded me a lot of Steel Challenge which I competed in for numerous years. I think there are small clubs all over AB. Getting Doug to take you to one will be a matter of timing.
Oh yeah that would be aligning the stars to have that happen. I’m gonna try to go to an Ontario match, hopefully the “easterners” show me a good time :p