Just able to revisit the forum, missed it immensely

historicalarms

Ultra Member
My first day at my computer in 3 weeks.
Well, 21 days ago I was the object of interest of a knife happy surgeon for 6 hrs...while he seems to have done his job quite very well, even a modest recovery will take a month or so yet.
Through a comedy of errors at the hospital office level, I was alerted at 430 pm with admitting instructions for 5:45 the next morning...short notice too say the least. We scrambled a bit but ended up making the appointment...3 hrs later I as on a table for triple bypass.
3 things I will forever remember about this;

The first is the indifference displayed by the subsequent attending doctors ( not the surgeon himself, never did meet that guy at all but he seems to have done a good job).
The second is the absolute dedication to the nursing staff in the cardiac recovery process. I had 24 hr observation and help for 12 days stay in hospital and cannot say I had one moment of feeling not cared for in every sense of the word...they were outstanding.
And the third...and this is a big one...my wife. Chicken Light is the only forum member that actually knows my wife and has witnessed our meaningless but sometimes less than flattering bantering back and forth a bit. 45 years ago we both said the words "for better or worse, in sickness or health"....had six drinks and carried on for that 45 yrs. I have to say that 21 days ago and every one since, she remembered every word she claimed back then....boys...."Florence Nightingale" are words that do not even come close to describing her.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey good to hear your on the mend. I think the indifference of the doctors might be partly due to the sheer number if patients they run thru. Kind of like the Walmart greeter, somebody else coming right up behind you.

Is this your first heart surgery? Did you know you had problems earlier?
Kudos to your wife.

Everett

Super User
My wife is a nurse in a neuro ICU, and she has an absolute burden to care for and love on her patients. Most nurses are like that, or else they move on. Indeed there are some who are just there for the money but thankfully they are not the majority.

She has an amazing patience for me too, even when I'm a miserable grump at times. Thankfully she isn't into this gig for the money, if she was she's sadly mistaken, lol! :p

Good to hear from you again @historicalarms , glad to hear you're on the mend, highly likely to your awesome Better Half!

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
My first day at my computer in 3 weeks.
Well, 21 days ago I was the object of interest of a knife happy surgeon for 6 hrs...while he seems to have done his job quite very well, even a modest recovery will take a month or so yet.
Through a comedy of errors at the hospital office level, I was alerted at 430 pm with admitting instructions for 5:45 the next morning...short notice too say the least. We scrambled a bit but ended up making the appointment...3 hrs later I as on a table for triple bypass.
3 things I will forever remember about this;

The first is the indifference displayed by the subsequent attending doctors ( not the surgeon himself, never did meet that guy at all but he seems to have done a good job).
The second is the absolute dedication to the nursing staff in the cardiac recovery process. I had 24 hr observation and help for 12 days stay in hospital and cannot say I had one moment of feeling not cared for in every sense of the word...they were outstanding.
And the third...and this is a big one...my wife. Chicken Light is the only forum member that actually knows my wife and has witnessed our meaningless but sometimes less than flattering bantering back and forth a bit. 45 years ago we both said the words "for better or worse, in sickness or health"....had six drinks and carried on for that 45 yrs. I have to say that 21 days ago and every one since, she remembered every word she claimed back then....boys...."Florence Nightingale" are words that do not even come close to describing her.
I would never want that lady mad at me. Ever. I can’t stress that enough, the “commander in chief” runs a tight ship. That’s meant as a compliment, just to be clear, I enjoy hearing the stories when I visit.

Glad to hear you’re on the mend!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Didn't even know till just now.

Sorry to hear about, but sooooo glad you are on the mend.

I learned a bit more about you from @Chicken lights. He was most complimentary. I hope I get to meet you someday myself. Glad you are doing well so that might actually happen.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
I had major surgery 20 years ago now - first time in my life to be in Hospital. I went in there, prepared for an "assembly line" and a bunch of indifference. I was completely wrong and actually quite "touched" at the amount of compassion and care I was shown. They really are "special people".

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Hey good to hear your on the mend. I think the indifference of the doctors might be partly due to the sheer number if patients they run thru. Kind of like the Walmart greeter, somebody else coming right up behind you.

Is this your first heart surgery? Did you know you had problems earlier?
Kudos to your wife.
yes, the surgery was not a surprise just the timing of notification. I've known since April that it was coming but twice because of covid operating room interruptions, it was postponed.

I guess i should attribute the Doc's indifference to thankfully, not a need by me for more involvement on their part... but a few moments for some info on what went down would have been nice.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I would never want that lady mad at me. Ever. I can’t stress that enough, the “commander in chief” runs a tight ship. That’s meant as a compliment, just to be clear, I enjoy hearing the stories when I visit.

Glad to hear you’re on the mend!
Thanks Dave, sure was sorry I couldn't meet up again if your planned trip west came about....I keep looking for your truck in the Ottawa news reports LOL

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
yes, the surgery was not a surprise just the timing of notification. I've known since April that it was coming but twice because of covid operating room interruptions, it was postponed.

I guess i should attribute the Doc's indifference to thankfully, not a need by me for more involvement on their part... but a few moments for some info on what went down would have been nice.
I've had stents put in a couple of times and the last time the surgeon had a harsh and negative bed side manner and made lying on the operating table that much more unpleasant. However he did procedures that I was told by the previous surgeons they could/would not. I guess skill is more imporant than personal or communication abilities. Never saw the guy again. And yes my nurses also were exceptional.

Good to see you back on the computer. Won't be too long now and you will be back rattling around in the shop.
Tonight is the end of isolation following a little bout with covid, the last couple days have been fun in the shop, I could have done without the first few days though.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Thanks Dave, sure was sorry I couldn't meet up again if your planned trip west came about....I keep looking for your truck in the Ottawa news reports LOL
You’re about the 9th person to mention me going to ottawa LOL

What’s the limitations on visits now, post surgery? I’m guessing you’re home and not feeling very strong?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@historicalarms wishing you a speedy home recovery after your triple bypass. Here I sit six months plus after my 4th right knee replacement surgery struggling with much water retention in my right leg and the lack of knee motion ability.

Last Thursday I started into massage therapy followed by leg taping to increase blood flow and water movement along with my water pills.

Thank goodness for a loving wife, 4 legged furry friend and exceptional surgeon.

Aging is not for sissies, they say life's a bitch then you die. Just saying!

Last edited:

LeakyCanoe

guess i should attribute the Doc's indifference to thankfully, not a need by me for more involvement on their part... but a few moments for some info on what went down would have been nice.

We all have our own "bedside manner" right ?

It is worth noting the criticism though and looking inward at the chances we each have in our own little "less important worlds" to perhaps take the time to recognize that basic civility and basic exhibiting of compassion and respect for someone undergoing some kind of trauma is a fundamental societal underpinning that keeps things well-oiled, just like our machinery. Just as we shouldn't let our hearts bleed for every situation and person outside of our own sphere of control, allowing our hearts to harden up to the point of demonstrable indifference (or worse) is equally wrong - no ?

Glad to hear you got what you needed and the system isn't all totally broken down. My mom had a very similar situation in November out in Vancouver (short notice surgery on something that was long overdue but was desperately needed... however, with that said some proper planning and reasonable measure of pre-prep would have been ideal. We are in times now though that are very far from ideal, and likely some guy needing a knee transplant didn't get the call because the pros deemed your situation more critical.

That doctor would probably have been right there for you, as you say, had there been complications. There wasn't, so he didn't need to be a further hero (although he is for what he did do successfully), and then he just didn't spike the ball by being well-rounded on the bedside manner front afterwards. Probably 2-3 minutes with you would have made all the difference...

further edit comment: Dusty's post came in while I was typing mine -Voila !