• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Jet engine for Peters lawnmower?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Can you make this one a hover craft? That way it’s a lawnmower AND a hedge trimmer :D
I actually made small a small hovercraft once, just to understand the principles—with the thought of building a full size one. That was a huge lesson in provincial government bureaucracy. I made some inquiries WRT licensing, use, insurance. That turned into six months of my life I'll never get back. No one knew if it was classified as a watercraft or vehicle. Everyone pointed to each other for an answer when it came to where they could operate. No one would commit to an answer.

Hovercraft are so cool. Not many prairie hovercraft pilots though. Kind of like The Last Saskatchewan Pirate I guess.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Hovercraft are so cool. Not many prairie hovercraft pilots though. Kind of like The Last Saskatchewan Pirate I guess.
Honestly, think of how that might change farming if instead of dragging a seed drill it’s a hovercraft that plants. Probably too far fetched to really talk about but farming no till has come pretty far, there’s only so much left they can do to improve.

having a hover craft lawn mower would pretty much cement you as the neighborhood genius for quite some time

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Our 3rd year design project was a human powered hovercraft. Dating myself (1980) but this was the era of human powered attempts in the news - Gossamer Condor, Albatross... Ours was redneck, beer budget contraption. Dual furnace fans blowing into the skirt. As if hovering wasn't enough challenge, the task was also forward propulsion & steering. So it had about 8 foot diameter semi variable pitch prop & rudimentary rudder. Humans actually make pathetically low power in most forms, but I seem to recall like 300-400 watts in sustained pedaling. Maybe more peak, but the mechanical losses are high. Which is why manpowered endeavors are so challenging even with high end components. Think of 3 x 100 watt lightbulbs dimly glowing while the skinny athlete is almost passing out- impressive huh. That's where we had difficulties. What we needed was the equivalent of an anorexic helicopter swash plate to transition from zero prop pitch while power was first diverted to levitating, then slowly phase in the prop to start propelling forward. This was before composite materials or ability to making things outside of common shop tools. So we got it lifting with mild fixed pitch, gave it a kick across a polished gym floor & called it good enough for pass grade. But the project was a blast. You could see who built go-carts & toy airplanes & repaired farm machinery... and the others who were.... destined to become managers HaHa.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Our 3rd year design project was a human powered hovercraft. Dating myself (1980) but this was the era of human powered attempts in the news - Gossamer Condor, Albatross... Ours was redneck, beer budget contraption. Dual furnace fans blowing into the skirt. As if hovering wasn't enough challenge, the task was also forward propulsion & steering. So it had about 8 foot diameter semi variable pitch prop & rudimentary rudder. Humans actually make pathetically low power in most forms, but I seem to recall like 300-400 watts in sustained pedaling. Maybe more peak, but the mechanical losses are high. Which is why manpowered endeavors are so challenging even with high end components. Think of 3 x 100 watt lightbulbs dimly glowing while the skinny athlete is almost passing out- impressive huh. That's where we had difficulties. What we needed was the equivalent of an anorexic helicopter swash plate to transition from zero prop pitch while power was first diverted to levitating, then slowly phase in the prop to start propelling forward. This was before composite materials or ability to making things outside of common shop tools. So we got it lifting with mild fixed pitch, gave it a kick across a polished gym floor & called it good enough for pass grade. But the project was a blast. You could see who built go-carts & toy airplanes & repaired farm machinery... and the others who were.... destined to become managers HaHa.
Wow. Good for you Peter—what a great project. I bet you learned lots and had fun at the same time.

I wish I could be young and ambitious again. I would seriously look at materials science as a career. Super fascinating how many power to weight ratio challenges disappeared overnight with the advent of composites. And I think engineers are just scratching the surface of this exciting field.

Since I am making wishes I'd also like to be thin again too.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well if your next project is a carbon fiber, pedal Pete powered, hover mower, then multiple wishes really could come true! LoL

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Ever fly on something like this? I have....:p

View attachment 15914

Hey Craig that's a de Havilland Dragon Rapide developed through the 1930's in Britain, primary user was the RAF.

Although I don't have a photo I did take a balloon ride across Regina south west to north east. With my military background the pilot asked if I would help fill the bladder with hot air then after our controlled crash landing (pilot upset the gondola on landing) I also helped to deflate and fold the balloon for transport. A highly interesting and most satisfying experience for me.

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Honestly, think of how that might change farming if instead of dragging a seed drill it’s a hovercraft that plants. Probably too far fetched to really talk about but farming no till has come pretty far, there’s only so much left they can do to improve.

having a hover craft lawn mower would pretty much cement you as the neighborhood genius for quite some time

Actually Dave, There still need to be a ground engaging tool to place the seed in the ground. The modern farming techniques that refer to "no till" and "air Seeders" are miss-nomrs. No Till just refers to no preliminary tillage (seed is deposited directly into last years stubble) before seed planting and Air Seeders still are ground engaging cultivators, The Air Seeder term just refers to the type of seed delivery/metering method used....the seed is air blown from carrying tank to the ground tool. Old seeders just gravity dropped seed to the seed boot.
There have been attempts to "broadcast" seeds for some crops but with limited success and still required a ground disturbing implement of some kind (usually harrows) to set the seed.