• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Jet engine for Peters lawnmower?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here is the manufacturer’s website:

https://alturdyneint.com

There seem to be a few parts missing… look on the accessory case side. The big flange would be connected to the load. The smaller one above was probably the FCU (fuel control unit). The oil pump seems to be there (For bearing lubrication). Also a bunch of wires are cut off (probably for the igniters and fuel shut off solenoids).

The fuel injector nozzles and the igniter plug are still in the combustion chamber/turbine housing.

There was probably an electric generator coupled the the gas turbine.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Please, Bill, chime in.

I just looked over the supplied picture(s) and ran through what makes a turbine engine go in my head. I could recognize a few of the components - some I was guessing at.

Then luckily, found the website of the OEM and just put two and two together.

@Dusty , you have perhaps worked on turbine engines - I on the others hand just watched technicians work on them (and trying to stay out of their way).

I am curious about all things cool so hence me “sticking my nose into everything”.

I do apologize for jumping the gun.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Unfortunately I have no experience with this particular kind of apparatus although fully concur with @RobinHood observations. My take is this, it's a turbo charged engine most likely diesel with no idea as to which industry would use same. I assume it would be a huge fire hazard within the oil industry? Closest I ever came to a turbo charger being changed out was on a Mustang aircraft driven by a v12 Rolls Royce Merlin engine. It was an air racer swinging a huge four blade prop.

Clearly the seller incorrectly listed the engine as being jet, not even close as to what I know as pure jet engines. However, modern day commercial carriers do use turbo fan (jet) engines.

So I'm going to leave it there along with this old saying. After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

THE MORAL; When your full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I did some searches for hydrostarter wondering what this was for. Found some links for a hydraulic system to start big boat diesels. Would this ad be a starter of some kind? What would it be for?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I did some searches for hydrostarter wondering what this was for. Found some links for a hydraulic system to start big boat diesels. Would this ad be a starter of some kind? What would it be for?

Perhaps @Brent H (the old sea dog) could answer this question.

On the flip side someone with facebook could ask the seller what it came off of.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Back in the Comet/Caravelle days there was always something parked and plugged into them as soon as they docked.

Yup, we still use those today: external electric power carts, or ground power (if not allowed to use the on board APU or it is broken), external air conditioning units (again, if restricted to use the onboard APU) and even external high pressure air carts (for engine starting with an APU u/s).

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Ok, I thought some sort of portable APU or what ever used in the aviation industry. Back in the Comet/Caravelle days there was always something parked and plugged into them as soon as they docked.

Hey Craig, wife (with child) and I went overseas on one of the RCAF DH-106 Comet's that was long after de Havilland fixed the problem of passenger windows blowing out as you waved good by. The Comet was the worlds first commercial passenger jet and the RCAF was the first air force to operate them, they never lost a passenger although baggage was something else. LOL

So we departed Canada from Uplands Ottawa, stopped over at Shannon, Ireland for fuel due to strong head winds then on to 1 Fighter Wing, Marville, France. Probably one of the nicest rides we ever experienced.

LotImg15259.jpg

External APU's what Robin Hood says.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Craig, wife (with child) and I went overseas on one of the RCAF DH-106 Comet's that was long after de Havilland fixed the problem of passenger windows blowing out as you waved good by. The Comet was the worlds first commercial passenger jet and the RCAF was the first air force to operate them, they never lost a passenger although baggage was something else. LOL

So we departed Canada from Uplands Ottawa, stopped over at Shannon, Ireland for fuel due to strong head winds then on to 1 Fighter Wing, Marville, France. Probably one of the nicest rides we ever experienced.

View attachment 15902

External APU's what Robin Hood says.

That's so cool. I now know someone else that has flown on one of those things. London to Dar-es-Salaam in the mid 60's for me. EAA East African Airways. What was the RCAF flying back then? Voodoos?

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
That's so cool. I now know someone else that has flown on one of those things. London to East Africa in the late 60's for me. What was the RCAF flying back then? Voodoos?

The Voodoo entered service with the RCAF prior to our return to Canada was never used in Europe with the RCAF.

RCAF Fighter Wings #1-2-3, & 4 Europe basically flew two types of aircraft during the 'Cold War' years. The F-86 Sabre had six 50 Cal. machine guns in the nose three to each side, and the CF-100 Canuck all weather interceptor had rocket pods plus 50 Cal. machine guns in the belly pack between the two engines. I was attached to 423 Squadron CF-100's at 2 Wing Grostenquin, France. 1st photo of the CF-100 has it with long range wing tip fuel tanks as they were flown to Europe, and yes our aircraft were camouflaged. CF-100 armed with rocket pods as viewed in 3rd photo although while in Canada. Note the front aircraft serial number 16(423) with our squadron. For me a little bit of nostalgia.

LotImg18568.jpg

canuck5.jpg

arch69.jpg

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Pretty cool Bill.

Cool perhaps although not lacking danger for one's family. Had anything serious erupted between the USSR and NATO forces our families were more-or-less looking out for themselves while we went off to war.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Ok, I thought some sort of portable APU or what ever used in the aviation industry. Back in the Comet/Caravelle days there was always something parked and plugged into them as soon as they docked.
A little before my time, but I always thought those Comets were sexy looking aircraft.