• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop It's loading day

Shop

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Ginger ain’t getting no love I see :confused:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess y’all were around for black and white TV’s....:D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ginger ain’t getting no love I see :confused:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess y’all were around for black and white TV’s....:D

We didn't have a tv in the prairies because there were no stations. Colour didn't really become popular till the late 60s. It wasn't till 1970 that they sold more color than B&W. The first TV my wife and I bought together was still B&W.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Uphill, both ways, in the snow.
Mary Ann in reruns.

But I will say, having put a pile of stuff in the new shop, I can't believe the difference of "a few of feet, twice" makes on total shop space. My previous spaces have been 18x20 and 16x22. This new one is 24x24, twice (once up, once down, on account of unavoidable grade changes). The extra 6' and 4' each way add so much space. I should have bought a bigger hammer ;-) I do know that when I find the right lathe and mill for here they will fit.
space.jpg
Still a ton of work to get the electric fitted (upgrading the solar on the property), and then I have a lift of sheeting to go up on the walls thoughout.

Paul

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
In a previous life, I owned a similar shop for a rock drilling business (insulated Butler building). We installed 1/2" plywood around the perimeter walls to protect the plastic of the wall insulation. Good idea but not the right thing to do! I hope that the "sheeting" you mentioned above is either fire-rated drywall or better yet steel sheeting. (We just did the lower 10 ft but should have done all interior surfaces. Not sure what new building codes require, our building was 1970s. The soot sticks like a magnet to the nice white plastic - it soon becomes dark & ugly and pretty much not cleanable. Also - at least we painted the plywood a light grey. Painting is easy when the building is empty and it brightens things up and is somewhat resistant to getting dirty)
Craig

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Looks like a nice shop. Nice tools too, looking forward to seeing it all take shape and some of the work you do. I'm a machinist, but currently venturing down the blacksmith path, so I love these types of threads.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Good idea but not the right thing to do!
Can you elaborate on why this was the wrong thing? I'm looking at essentially the same thing - ply up to the lower girt, then drywall above. I like to be able to cleat tools and storage to any wall section.

Paul

Brent H

Ultra Member
In the area of your forging/weld splatter etc I would be inclined to 1/2" ply and then go over that with some 1/2" cement board, just for the fire rating issues.

My current shop is 1/2" ply 8' high and then dry wall. Works great. The welding places are drywalled and no wood but that is my garage and not desired really for what I am doing in it - typically I like to move the fire outside

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Can you elaborate on why this was the wrong thing? I'm looking at essentially the same thing - ply up to the lower girt, then drywall above. I like to be able to cleat tools and storage to any wall section.

Paul
Yes plywood makes a good wall that you can attach things anywhere and is much better than drywall for that. It is also much stronger/tougher and dent resistant. Our shop involved a lot of welding. Plywood is not good around sparks/open flame. You will not likely find a welding shop with plywood on the walls. If you are not welding then ok with plywood. It might just be a question you don’t want to ask your insurance agent.
You shop looks great. I’m jealous.
Craig

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Yes plywood makes a good wall that you can attach things anywhere and is much better than drywall for that. It is also much stronger/tougher and dent resistant. Our shop involved a lot of welding. Plywood is not good around sparks/open flame. You will not likely find a welding shop with plywood on the walls. If you are not welding then ok with plywood. It might just be a question you don’t want to ask your insurance agent.
You shop looks great. I’m jealous.
Craig
Yes, I don't do a ton of welding/fabrication, and have the luxury of taking it outside, on the whole.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
If you have plywood walls, there is the option of covering the welding area only with an additional layer of drywall....

When I built my garage over 30 years ago I *should have* covered the walls and ceiling in plywood. It would have saved me hundreds of hours of work over the years mounting stuff and adapting cupboards and shelves. I used drywall only, to my regret.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you do want to get inside out of the wind (MIG or TIG) - suggest you get a couple of portable free standing welding screens to isolate your inside welding area.