• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop It's loading day

Shop

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
After months of staging stuff into the garage here in town while my shop gets completed at the rural property, I finally have the soldiers lined up for their move. And loaded.
loading_day.jpeg loaded.jpeg
The gantry didn't fit around the trailer's wheelbase, which added some challenge loading the hammer. Rollers and pry bars to the rescue. Somehow I read the cargo dimensions instead of the wheelbase when I booked the thing. This also means it doesn't fit on the landing craft, which means instead of a drive-on tomorrow we get to mess around with a crane for each of the 5 pieces packed on there and two in the pickup. The tarps are covering toolchests, empty, and so mercifully light. The new coal forge is just peeking through in orange - it's the pallet the hammer came on, repurposed.
I still have to figure out how I'm going to break down the gantry for transport once I'm done loading the trailer. That probably means dropping it off its casters *again*, getting it back into the garage, strapping the beam to the rafters, ratchet-strapping the legs down, and then lowering the beam on ratchets.

The lathe stays in town, though I've got my eyes open for a lathe and mill to bring out the cabin.

I'm very much looking forward to making noise in a place where I don't have to worry about my neighbors.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
"doesn't fit on fit on the landing craft"?????

What manner of Landing Craft?
It's a relatively small boat I've hired for the job:

51642parksvilleChetlo.jpg

Can only manage 7'2" wide loads. But it does have a handy hiab if you can get your trailer up on it.
Being a catamaran, it's also fast, which makes it pretty cost-effective for equipment moving.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
How do you normally get to said "rural property"?
We have our own considerably smaller boat. The power hammer would make my self-bailing deck not bail. It's only a 20 minute boat ride, but the end point is off-grid. Solar and batteries, rainwater collection.
And my nearest neighbor runs a sawmill and an excavator, and the next neighbor is far enough away not to hear either of us!

The gantry didn't fit around the trailer's wheelbase, which added some challenge loading the hammer.

I had the same problem unloading my Bridgeport. The Princess Auto gantry cranes are not quite wide enough to fit the large UHaul trailers under them. Just short by a few inches but its enough to cause big trouble. I need to find a trailer rental where the trailers are just a few inches narrower! We did manage to get just the very end of the trailer maybe a foot or two of it under the gantry. Just barely enough to swing the mill off with the crane.

Looks like an exciting move! Hope it all goes well for you!!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The gantry didn't fit around the trailer's wheelbase, which added some challeng

No sweat. I think everyone makes that mistake. That's why I ended up making my own crane. The rental places should tell you that ahead of time. "Are you sure that's the size you want? Will the wheels and fenders go through there?"

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The Princess Auto gantry cranes are not quite wide enough to fit the large UHaul trailers under them. Just short by a few inches but its enough to cause big trouble. I need to find a trailer rental where the trailers are just a few inches narrower!

I bought a boat crane and modified it. It's similar to the Princess Auto Cranes but a bit heavier. They are used to lift boats out of the water. Sometimes they are on rails so you can also put the boat onto a trailer with them too.

I think the PA cranes could be widened with a new bigger I-Beam. (not just longer but bigger section too). I'll shy away from providing more info for liabity reasons, but I'm sure you get the idea.

The only things more regulated than cranes is elevators.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I bought a boat crane and modified it. It's similar to the Princess Auto Cranes but a bit heavier. They are used to lift boats out of the water. Sometimes they are on rails so you can also put the boat onto a trailer with them too.

I think the PA cranes could be widened with a new bigger I-Beam. (not just longer but bigger section too). I'll shy away from providing more info for liabity reasons, but I'm sure you get the idea.

The only things more regulated than cranes is elevators.
Yes, it's easy enough to do the beam calculations for a wider section.
My bigger frustration is that it's 2 inches taller than my garage door opening. It needs to be at the cabin anyways, and the engine hoist needs to go from there to here.
Recommendation: no not spread your shop over two islands, even if only an hour apart.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Did I get any pictures afloat? Of course not, I was on the boat.
But this little hammer sure looks lonely in its new spot.
lonely.jpg
It is nice having neighbors with heavy equipment:
light.jpg
The engine hoist portion of the move was not nearly so pleasant. But that's the worst of it done. We ran out of tide before we could offload any more of the equipment so I have some waiting to do now.