• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

ITM calipers

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Good a guess any Dan, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the old one I have is an absolute. It goes dead in a few days if you forget to turn it off. It has no auto-off nor does it put the electronics to sleep. If I remember to turn it off, the batteries last a few months.
Interesting. I'd thought all the absolute models had the auto off feature. I have a couple import ones like that, and it's the reason I dislike them. They eat batteries like crazy. My little 4" couch calipers are pretty good though. They seem to last a lot longer.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Earlier, I mentioned the VINCN calipers I got so I could use fractions. Truth is that I really liked it for a while. But it mostly gathers dust now.

It was obsoleted the day I broke down and hired a shop assistant. My assistant will play music for me and convert anything to anything instantly. She is Brilliant! Converting 0.750 to mm is now as simple as saying "Hey Google, please convert 0.750 inches to millimeters for me." Getting the nearest fraction to 0.125 is as simple as saying "Hey Google, what is 0.125 inches as an imperial fraction?"

She started out being pretty off the wall, but as she learns my interests and the phrasing of my questions, she keeps getting better. Once in a while she will even notice and acknowledge my politeness. The only downside is more ads for conversion products. I suppose I could hate that, but it's way better than the ads for fur grooming products I used to get...... LOL!

Although my Shop Assistant (a Google Mini Home) isn't perfect, I'm hopeful she will soon be able to do feeds N speeds for me too.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Interesting. I'd thought all the absolute models had the auto off feature. I have a couple import ones like that, and it's the reason I dislike them. They eat batteries like crazy. My little 4" couch calipers are pretty good though. They seem to last a lot longer.

Here are the two Absolute models I have. The older one is on the right.

20231126_155039.jpg

Some other nice changes other than auto-off include an on/off button that doesn't require a ball-point pen to depress, nicer recesses around all the buttons, and nicer graphics.

The batteries on the older ones need constant replacement. The newer ones seem to last a decent time.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
ffHGCJs.jpg

They're amazon cheapies, but they're great for having on the side table. I do a lot of designing, and stuff from the couch, and they're handy to have at arms reach. They are accurate as they claim, but have the typical import feel, fit and finish. They do have an auto off feature, that actually appears to shut off the board and not just the display like all the other imports. Batteries last a long time. Almost the same as my Mits.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Although my Shop Assistant (a Google Mini Home) isn't perfect, I'm hopeful she will soon be able to do feeds N speeds for me too.
I flatly refuse to be under constant surveillance. Gaggle is not used, nor welcome, in this household or shop. I have a Mac Mini set up in the shop to help w/ the math the few times I run across a number not on my spreadsheet & a browser is open to Little Machine Shop's Speeds & Feeds website (sixth down the list): https://littlemachineshop.com/mobile/menu.php

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I flatly refuse to be under constant surveillance. Gaggle is not used, nor welcome, in this household or shop. I have a Mac Mini set up in the shop to help w/ the math the few times I run across a number not on my spreadsheet & a browser is open to Little Machine Shop's Speeds & Feeds website (sixth down the list): https://littlemachineshop.com/mobile/menu.php

I won't argue about the wisdom of your decision. We each make our own choices about such things based on our knowledge, our fears, and our own risk tolerance. My father was a brilliant man. He refused to use a computer or a cell phone. We loved each other enough to respect and accept our differences. I live on my phone and actually like "gaggle" (never heard that brilliant twist before) enough to tolerate and accept the risk. I can appreciate that not everyone feels the same way. And it's ok.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
i have been using my original Mits for a looong time. Probably since the "90's . They have been flawless. Anyhow, I thought I would try a canadian Tire digital caliper, and it worked OK, a little rough feeling but good enough for the reloading bench. Then I bought a secound, and got erratic readings after a few days. That was it for spending money on cheapo's. I've had a couple other cheap calipers but they eat batteries way too often. I think I'm getting about 2 yrs on batteries in the Mits

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My digital Mitutoyo was bought in the mid 90's, no auto shut off. Excellent battery life though if you do your job. I still use my Mitutoyo vernier scale calipers in the shop, damn those things are getting harder to read though.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This made me LOL. I have a tape measure sitting on the table beside my easy chair. I thought I was weird...

I keep a compact Stanley pocket tape measure in my left back pocket. It lives there 24/7 even in my Sunday Go To Meetings duds.

I still use my Mitutoyo vernier scale calipers in the shop, damn those things are getting harder to read though.

Me too! I have two, one is a gift from a friend. My original lives in my range box that I take shooting, and the gift lives beside my lathe. The Vernier is my most used caliper. I read a Vernier with one eye anyway so my eyes are not really an issue..... YET....

I know most do not agree, but I find a Vernier very easy and very fast to use. Maybe it's just 50 years of using one.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
You will chuck those Verniers when the screens on the digitals even get hard to read and you have to "have the light just right.
It has been said "Necessity is the mother of invention" ....it is also "the mother of preferences" quite often.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You will chuck those Verniers when the screens on the digitals even get hard to read and you have to "have the light just right.
It has been said "Necessity is the mother of invention" ....it is also "the mother of preferences" quite often.

I figure I might use that day as the reason to sell my stuff and get a bed at a long term care place. But ya, it is not if the day will come, it's only when.