• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

ITM calipers

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Questions, questions, questions...

In the reading that I have done, it seems that calipers are regarded as a rather crude form of measurement that should be used to ballpark & then confirmed with micrometers.

That said, is there really an advantage with a high end caliper vs my $30 Princess Auto Titan special?

In the reading that I have done, it seems that calipers are regarded as a rather crude form of measurement that should be used to ballpark & then confirmed with micrometers.

That said, is there really an advantage with a high end caliper vs my $30 Princess Auto Titan special?
I think that you would have to hold one in your hand and compare the smoothness of the movement and locking mechanism, then you can decide if the extra cost is worth it to you.
I've had both a Mitutoyo and a middle of the road Chinese one. I'd love to ram the Chinese one down the crackheads throat that stole my Mitutoyo. When I feel that I can make it a priority, I will replace the Mitutoyo with another.

.... I think that for 90% of the work most hobbiests do digital calipers are more than accurate enough, and for 50% of that, a ruler and spring calipers are probably accurate enough..... For the other 10%, out come the machinist clamps (micrometers).
That's how it goes in my shop anyway.....

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wonder how long the PA ones will last after years of use.
I’ve had a pair of PA ProPoint (I think they are now called Titans?) calipers for 7 years. They work as well today as they did when new (smooth & accurate). The biggest difference between them and my Fowlers (the best quality ones I have) is the battery life. A battery in the Fowler calipers lasts about a year. In the ProPoints, a battery is dead after about 4 months. Yes, they take the same battery.
It seems that the stand-by power consumption of good quality calipers is lower than in cheap ones.
I have heard of this before: I expect a set of Mitutoyos would be even better as far as battery life is concerned.

Last edited:
I have from cheap to expensive.

Differences are:

Consistency
Accuracy (some on this site have actually calibrated them and done comparisions)
Build quality

Generally speaking calipers do the dirty work in a shop, they are the work horse of measurement as they get things done. From setup, to layout, the interm checks and quality control.

Micrometers are the fine quality control if and when needed. Micrometers can not setup, layout.

You should be able to get the same measures with both.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
$30 Ultra Pro calipers have served me well for the last 20 years. They are my general usage, knock around, calipers. My Mitutoyo's are for special occasions. They read within a half thou of each other, which for everything but bearing fits, is good enough. Thats what mics are for. 1700974801923823608510118290998.jpg

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I love my Mitutoyo calipers, excellent battery life and smooth, the PA ones i have to remove the battery after use or it's dead in a month. As for accuracy, both serve the purpose i use them for.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have heard of this before: I expect a set of Mitutoyos would be even better as far as battery life is concerned.

My biggest complaint with my 20 year old (a guess at their age) Mitutoyo Digital calipers is their battery life. If I don't remember to turn them off, they are dead in a few days. My new one is MUCH better but still not as good as my Fowler or this crappy one (edit - a VINCN) I bought cuz it had fractions as well as imperial and Metric.

I think the under-rated benefit of calipers over mics is their flexibility and ease of use: inside, outside, depth, butt, ledges; then there is fast, convenient, reasonable accuracy, overall working length vs mics, etc etc.

As far as cheap vs quality. The cheap ones are as good as the quality ones - until they are not. A few of my old cheapos are still going. Most are not. It's a crap shoot. ALL 3 OF MY MITUTOYOS still work as well as the day I bought them. Only about half of the cheapos do.

It's easy to conclude that cheap is better since they cost less than half what the good ones cost. But that is not true. When the cheapos go, they don't usually go fast. They just become unreliable. The numbers start drifting and you don't even notice till you validate the measurement. Then crap flies - especially on a work in progress.

My own practice is to keep a good one nearby and use it when the numbers matter. I usually use a cheapo for everyday use because both cheap and expensive break or deform when dropped. The rate of dropping seems to have an exponential relationship to my age.

Same goes for dial calipers. My cheapo has an intermittent needle and my older mitutoyo still works great.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Vernier Calipers here.

Verniers cannot go dead, do not drift, are accurate to +/- a thou, and are dead reliable. They are also pretty "bulletproof". I have a 60 or 70 year old pair in the shop and a 50 year old pair in my gun room that goes with me to the range. Impervious to weather and bulletproof as they say!

The only time I use a micrometer is for very critical work and then only when the final goal is 3 passes away.

Except for thread mics which I use all the time cuz I hate thread wires.

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I have had one Mit caliper and it worked very good....until I dropped the dam thing on a concrete floor never worked again but i have droped several of the Chinese copies and every one worked after a drop as it did before.
As for accuracy, I used to continually check my Chinese models against the Mit and of the dozen or so sets i used, only had one that read .001 off the Mit.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought my Mitutoyo in Sept. 2020. I use it every single day, constantly throughout the day. I occasionally forget to turn it off and is left on overnight. It is still on its original battery!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231126_091829_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126_091829_Chrome.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 5

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I love my Mitutoyo 6" calipers. I've had them for about 16-17 years, and the batteries last about 8-9 months of daily use. Good thing because I got some thinners on the case about 10 years ago, and solvent welded the battery door closed lol. I have to take them apart to change the battery, but they still work great.

I have the previous generation mits at home, and the batteries don't last as long. I usually use my dials at home because of that.

If you work in a mix of metric and inch you can't beat good digital calipers.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought my Mitutoyo in Sept. 2020. I use it every single day, constantly throughout the day. I occasionally forget to turn it off and is left on overnight. It is still on its original battery!!

I am given to understand that the new Mitutoyos are all like that. I have no idea when they fixed it.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I am given to understand that the new Mitutoyos are all like that. I have no idea when they fixed it.
I think it was the switch to the "absolute" model that didn't need zeroing every time. I have both models, and bought my Absolute ones in 2007 I think? Can't remember exactly. I got them for $60 Brand new from SB :D. Right place, right time........

I have both digital and dial calipers. The digitals collect dust and never get used because I hate fussing with batteries. I am firmly resolved to never get another one. The dial caliper gets used all the time and I wish I had more of them.

terry_g

Ultra Member
I have a very old NSK vernier caliper that is my go to. I have a Starret digital caliper that I seldom use.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think it was the switch to the "absolute" model that didn't need zeroing every time. I have both models, and bought my Absolute ones in 2007 I think? Can't remember exactly. I got them for $60 Brand new from SB :D. Right place, right time........

Good a guess any Dan, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the old one I have is an absolute. It goes dead in a few days if you forget to turn it off. It has no auto-off nor does it put the electronics to sleep. If I remember to turn it off, the batteries last a few months.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
The biggest difference between them...is the battery life.
I bought my Titan this spring. Within a few weeks the display started flashing (low battery). Couple months back I picked up a card of name brand batteries on sale on Amazon & replaced the low one. We'll see how long it lasts.