• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

It Looks So Easy and Straightforward ON Paper But...

Hi All,

Moving on.

The partially made valve handles shown are not Superscale but I liked the look so I decided to make up something in that style. They were "eyeballed" from the Superscale photo posted early in the thread.

Construction wise, they were first roughed out on the bandsaw and then contoured on the belt sander. Just careful work but it left a lot of grit to clean up.

Attachments

• 242 Valve Bodies Fixtures and Part Machined Handles.jpg
    242 Valve Bodies Fixtures and Part Machined Handles.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 9
Hi All,

Moving on with the valve layout.

Initially, when I did this to the LBSC drawing dimensions, it didn't look anything like what was shown so after some head scratching I decided to make a revision. Some of the dimensions given do not seem to be correct but we shall see.

My rough sketch, with the revised dimensions, are seen in the first photo along with the layout tools used. The odd shaped scrap piece of bronze first had to be machined along two sides at right angles to provide the needed reference straight edges for the layout.

I often use a draughtsman's plastic circle template for small laying out and the toolmakers clamp is seen as one needs three hands to align the circle template to the scribed centreline of the part and I only have two. Also, use good lighting and an eye loupe for this type of fiddly work.

This is another part which is going to be more difficult to machine than what is shown on paper.

Attachments

• 243 Layout Tools and Revised Sketch for Laying Out the Valve Body.jpg
    243 Layout Tools and Revised Sketch for Laying Out the Valve Body.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 244 The Revised Valve Layout.jpg
    244 The Revised Valve Layout.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi All,

The machining of the valve. I knew this part, though it looked so simple on paper, was going to present me with a lot of machining difficulties. It had two internal features, a 7/64" through square hole and a flat bottom circular hole. The flat bottom hole I can deal with as, in the past, I have needed to made up a number of flat bottom drills which, can be a problem to produce in their own right if one does not have the right grinding equipment but fortunately I do so...

To have a chance with the 7/64" square hole, a new single lip square broach needed to be made. This size was smaller than any which had been made before and the start was not good as in the first go around I snapped off the pilot section of the broach while trying to machine in the undercut.

After that I reasoned why not try and machine a two piece broach as it would be much easier and simpler if it was done this way. And it worked! See the first photo. The undercut could now be simply formed through the use of a number 0 or 00 centre drill as seen in the second photo. The centre drill was drilled into the square end of the broach until the 60 degree centre hole just met the edge along the four sides of the square. No back relief was put on the square cutting end. The material was then hardened in oil but not tempered. The pilot piece was left soft as machined.

The broach also uses a head steady as seen in the second photo for reasons which will become clear. The third photo shows the square end test piece which I machined to exactly .1093"(7/64"). I use a spin index in the mill and sharp cutters to produce all of the square sections which I think is quite straightforward to do so no photos.

The setup for the actual broaching operation is seen in the next three photos. The bench arbor press may seem to be standard and nothing unusual but it has a number of features which make it rather unique together with all of the special fixtures made for it over the years so maybe I will describe all of this in a separate thread.

One not often seen feature is the ram has a reamed 5/8" dia. centre hole which is very useful when attempting a broaching operation like this as the broach head steady fits precisely in this hole and as a result one is able to precisely hold, locate and turn the broach to whatever position is needed quickly and accurately. I found out the hard way that small commercial multi tooth broaches are very delicate when pressing them and the slightest misalignment or arbor press ram slippage/wobble will result in a broken tool - hence the head steady. Also, not seen but the ram has been shimmed to eliminate any and all side play.

Another feature is the arbor press base had been drilled (square to the ram and how to set it up this way is another interesting operation) when I got it so special locating/holding fixtures could be used. One of these is being employed here in the broaching operation where there is a slot and centered hole in the fixture (which was designed for another entirely different operation) giving the broach clearance when it passes through the work.

The actual broaching technique needs a few words. It is best if the arbor press lever arm can be horizontal or near horizontal when broaching but things work out that this is rarely the case with these small cheap bench units (not being of the ratchet type) but clever people have figured out a modification to overcome this deficiency which involves a ram modification which I have not yet done.

Do not try and press through at one go. Carefully align the broach first in its required orientation and press slowly into the work ensuring that the pilot end of the broach slides down into the pilot hole in the workpiece without hanging up anywhere on any edge. Press firmly and release, pressing through the workpiece in small incremental stages. After the initial pressing, the pilot can be removed and the broach used without it as it will stay aligned and the open end of the broach allows for the displaced metal to more easily move into. When through gently tap out the broach with a non metallic small hammer as without any back relief the workpiece and broach are now firmly set together. As I have said before this type of broach has its limitations one being the metal thickness which limits it to a maximum of 1/8" thick.

The result is what is seen in the last two photos, a perfect square hole. As an aside, the pilot stem (being so slender in this case) did not survive but it is quite easily remade.

Attachments

• 257 The Valve Blank After Broaching.webp
    257 The Valve Blank After Broaching.webp
    77.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 256 The Valve Blank Back Face with Inserted Broach.webp
    256 The Valve Blank Back Face with Inserted Broach.webp
    55.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 255 Closeup of the Broaching Arbor Press Pieces.webp
    255 Closeup of the Broaching Arbor Press Pieces.webp
    48 KB · Views: 5
  • 253 The Broaching Operation.jpg .webp
    253 The Broaching Operation.jpg .webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 254 The Bench Arbor Press Used for the Broaching Operation.webp
    254 The Bench Arbor Press Used for the Broaching Operation.webp
    113 KB · Views: 6
  • 252 The Precisely Machined Test Square.webp
    252 The Precisely Machined Test Square.webp
    74.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 248 The New Two Piece Undersize Square Broach with Head Steady for the Arbor Press.webp
    248 The New Two Piece Undersize Square Broach with Head Steady for the Arbor Press.webp
    94.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 245 The Revised Two Piece Undersize Single Tooth Square Broach with the Older One Piece Squar...webp
    245 The Revised Two Piece Undersize Single Tooth Square Broach with the Older One Piece Squar...webp
    279.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hi All,

Just for completeness, there are other ways of "broaching" miniature square holes. On Youtube:

1- Clipspring Spare Parts # 13,
2- Joe Pie Mini Milling Machine The Three Ball Crank Arm,
3- Joe Pie Can you Grind Tools on a Milling Machine? YES--Take a Look!,
4- Course You Can How to Make a Square Broach to Cut a Square Hole.

On some of these videos I would use the term "Square Hole Slotting" instead of broaching although a square hole single tooth broach is being used as a slotting tool. I am not saying anything at all negative about these methods as I have used them in exactly the same way to produce true miniature rectangular slots.

Hi Dabbler,

Yes, I know but I didn't remove them. They are gone for me also. Apparently, it is a server update issue now being looked into.

Last edited:
Hi All,

The valve flat bottom drilling and depth check.

Do not try and drill directly with the flat bottom drill as a drill ground this way will jump all over the place. A flat bottom drill is just used to produce a flat surface on the end of a drilled hole.

So, the sequence of operations was centre drill followed by a 5/32" dia. regular jobbers drill followed by a 5/32"dia. end mill and finally the 5/32" dia. flat bottom drill. Depth had to be closely controlled so a small plug gauge in conjunction with the micrometer dial on the quill of the mill were used in combination. Preparation is everything so...

Attachments

• 258 The Flat Bottom Drilling Operation.webp
    258 The Flat Bottom Drilling Operation.webp
    312.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 259 Flat Bottom Drilling Depth Check.webp
    259 Flat Bottom Drilling Depth Check.webp
    198.7 KB · Views: 2
Back