• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

introductions

67Hardtop

Hello all.
My name is Jeff, I am a machinist (mostly manual) by trade. I am a bit of a car guy (old Mustangs and BMW's) and I also am capable of light fabrication.I have a small mill/drill and lathe at home and also a Miller welder.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey Jeff,

Welcome to the forum! I assume you're in the Calgary area like the majority of us, correct?

Any projects on the go?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Hey Jeff. Good to hear your into cars too. I like to go for the occasional rip in my second gen z28. Cars and machining are two hobbies that go well together.

67Hardtop

Yes I am in Calgary and my current project is to get my garage set up to the point that I can get some projects done.I also have a motorcycle, it's a bit apart right now but it is a motorcycle. Kawasaki 1972 H2 triple 750.
What kind of shape is the Z28 in?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
It is in excellent shape. I attached a photo so you can have a look for yourself. It has the original 350 in it and th400. The interior is as nice as the outside.

Attachments

• resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 9

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
This is John. I'm new to machining but recently purchased a lathe & mill cx701 and cx600. I've got some small welders too including a ac/dc Tig. I like sketch up for designing stuff. I'm looking to learn lots and make more things with metal. Combining my IT programing background with CNC home brew looks pretty interesting. I'm an analyst in IT at an oil company. Things I have made so far: motorcycle dolly, a stool, lumber racks, curtain holders for a exhibit booth, some tool holding odds ends. I need some good references on design, mechanical design practices. Things I want to build:
Motorized power feed for the mill
Motorized lift for the wood band saw
Motorized beveler or metal edger
Powered lift for lifting up / down tires for the truck.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I'm thinking power feed for the mill too using a car window motor/gearbox from Princess Auto they have a removeable gear that sits in a gear shaped pocket so if I cut a spur gear on the end of a shaft I can extend the drive shaft. The motor turns at 60 rpm

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I had similar ideas! I was going to buy one of those motors and try it. Better get on it!

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I'm thinking power feed for the mill too using a car window motor/gearbox from Princess Auto they have a removeable gear that sits in a gear shaped pocket so if I cut a spur gear on the end of a shaft I can extend the drive shaft. The motor turns at 60 rpm
Take lots of pictures and post it as a project. Would love to see any pitfalls you overcome.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@Tom O - I put up some photos on the Project thread of the power feed project using that princess auto motor. ...