• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Intro to welding course?

Terminus

Hi all,

Anyone know if there's any public offerings of intro to welding courses? I'm interested in learning to weld mostly out of interest, I'm a mechanical engineer and weldment designs comes up a fair bit at work, where it feels weird designing for something I have no idea how to do. I'm basically looking for either a college night class or community program or something that has equipment and someone who can teach me the basics in a hands-on way. I've never been great with learning from youtube and would love some feedback as I learn. Googling "intro welding course Toronto" or similar just brings up diploma-level college programs for master welders, which I'm not really interested in.

I'm located in the Guelph area but would be willing to do anywhere in the GTHA.

Thanks!

Aliva

Super User
Possibly check with a local welding shop, maybe they'd give you a crash course for a case of beer. Or at least let you watch and ask some questions.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm like you. I mostly learn nothing from youtube except for new reasons to hate it. I'm also a very crappy welder. I'd love some hands on lessons. I'd drive to London for that. It's about equidistant for you coming from Guelph.

Maybe some hands on stuff delivered by a member is possible. A previous member in the Cambridge area who was a military welding instructor gave me a few lessons but it was just enough to get me going. I need Soooo much more.

Anyway, this is just me asking you to keep us posted on what you find. Maybe if there is enough interest we can make it happen.

Rauce

Ultra Member
Hi all,

Anyone know if there's any public offerings of intro to welding courses? I'm interested in learning to weld mostly out of interest, I'm a mechanical engineer and weldment designs comes up a fair bit at work, where it feels weird designing for something I have no idea how to do. I'm basically looking for either a college night class or community program or something that has equipment and someone who can teach me the basics in a hands-on way. I've never been great with learning from youtube and would love some feedback as I learn. Googling "intro welding course Toronto" or similar just brings up diploma-level college programs for master welders, which I'm not really interested in.

I'm located in the Guelph area but would be willing to do anywhere in the GTHA.

Thanks!
I did a fantastic TIG course at the Conestoga Guelph campus in I think 2018. No prequisite required, it was Wednesday nights 6-10pm I think for about 10-12 weeks. Covered steel and aluminum.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I did a fantastic TIG course at the Conestoga Guelph campus in I think 2018. No prequisite required, it was Wednesday nights 6-10pm I think for about 10-12 weeks. Covered steel and aluminum.

Wow. 6-10. I go to bed at 7. I'd sleep through most of that course and then die too young on the 401 during the 2.5 hour drive home. But maybe they have something around here on Saturday or Sunday after lunch.

I've seen some of his TIG welds and they looked pretty dam good. Now I know why!

Well I must say you YouTube watched correctly is as good as a class as you can see different approaches to the problem from different view points and pick the pne that best works for you.

What convinced me to get and try TIG was The Fabricator (Justin), he had a simple no nonsense approach that made it look easy and it is. Now it just comes down to torch time as with anything else.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I think it can be tough for someone to learn off YouTube because there is no feedback, I'm not saying it can't be done, the road is just longer, as a guy needs to try it, watch a video, and figure out what he/she is doing wrong

I have instructed and been instructed, I will often let someone go at it for a bit before I help, if they are having problems I will stand right beside and watch as they weld, and tell them WHILE welding...immediate feedback....normally that's "slower" or "push it in" or "more pedal", most guys/gals catch on real quick when someone can tell them exactly what they may be doing wrong while they are doing it...a few times is normally all it takes, then just practice

Thats where a course, or someone to instruct you personally helps, but welding is mostly just practice, it's a hand skill like painting, you can't think your way to it, you just have to practice and developed those motor skills and learn the visual cues

That pisses a lot of young guys off, they think there is some magic trick, some guys get real agitated when you tell them "you just need more practice"

curmudgeon

(Steve)
I took a continuing education MIG class from our local college about a dozen years ago. The guys that could weld before the class, welded better afterwards. The guys, like me, that were new, could weld safely but poorly afterwards. The instructor was able to describe and demonstrate good welding techniques. But, he was not interested in or able to provide individual feedback. I knew I wasn't doing it right, but he couldn't describe what I needed to change - he'd just demonstrate again how he does it without any detailed explanation; "do it like this..."

It was nice to have good equipment, lots of practice material, and to work with great ventilation. I think I would have done much better if I had someone that provided feedback during, or immediately after my practice sessions.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
he instructor was able to describe and demonstrate good welding techniques. But, he was not interested in or able to provide individual feedback.

that's frustrating, that's literally what your paying for, he should have been able to pop in and give each guy 5 minutes, at least to the guys who were struggling

but, unfortunately some guys have the knack and desire to teach, and some are just there for a paycheque, that's the sad reality of the education system in general

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I took a "Industrial Welding" course in High School in the 1970s. It included Oxy/Acetyline 3 position, stick, and brazing. That was more useful to me than any of my University courses....

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
have you thought about putting a wanted add up in marketplace or Kijiji?

I have seen adds before of people looking for someone to teach them how to weld on more than one occasion, you may not net any responses, but you never know... at least you will get 1 on 1 if someone replies

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
When I started welding back in the late 70's, the local community college had a drop in program that I think was about $5 and hour including supplies and instructor. Wouldn't even try to guess what that would be in today's $.

Terminus

@Terminus I took my course at the local community college... so I concur with Canadium... check local colleges. Conestoga has a short industrial maintenance welding course, 40 hours.
Thanks for the info everyone. I looked at the Conestoga college course and will go with that or the Mohawk one depending on my schedule. Conestoga one is a bit more expensive, but you get more hours out if it if I'm reading correctly.