• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Insert sources

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm looking for some CCMT 21.51 inserts that are decent quality but don't break the bank.
Korloy from KBC are $14 each which is just ridiculous.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've had good luck with Ebay & AliExpress. Mainly Ebay sometimes they are one & the same. But its not a delivered tomorrow type thing if you're in a rush, but I'd guess 2-3 weeks has been my average.
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=CCMT+21.51&_sacat=0
If you feel you want to specify a brand (and you believe it actually IS that brand) you can sub filter with checkbox. The first 3 have been good from my experience.

The main thing is what do you want to turn, mild steel, aluminum, stainless....
Personally I like uncoated & sharper radius for aluminum. Some recent ones I got for stainless had a sharper nose than the usual offerings. Some sort of mystical magical coating which I didn't really care about or pay attention to. But they actually cut mild steel better than my previous gold go-tos. I can find the specific purchase if you're interested. Personally I think it pays to experiment a little. Our machines are typically not turning or feeding at cnc speeds which is where these come from.

1620775200280.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The hardest part is sorting through the different classifications to see what you are even looking at. Particularly on Ali they use 0602 format vs the ASA (21xx). Some have a cross reference table, many don't. Here is one of my cheat sheets

1620775914031.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The ones I've been ordering from Amazon are labeled Mitsubishi seem pretty decent.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here are the most recent Ebay ones I bought... oops a year ago now. Not sure if the seller or numbers are still current. But I like them for steel, stainless & mild

1620776440568.png

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@gerritv I connected with CTP. Quite impressed with the service. I have some Ceratizit CCMT21.51EN-29 AMZ inserts on their way.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I got to both ends of the spectrum. for nondemanding things like aluminum and brass I use Bangood.

For everything else I pay the price and go Kinnemetal. I find it is really worth it for me, especially when cutting 316 or 4140. I extend the life of my good inserts using a diamond file, I get 2 or 3 touch ups before they're done.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I got to both ends of the spectrum. for nondemanding things like aluminum and brass I use Bangood.

For everything else I pay the price and go Kinnemetal. I find it is really worth it for me, especially when cutting 316 or 4140. I extend the life of my good inserts using a diamond file, I get 2 or 3 touch ups before they're done.
My Bangood inserts seem to crumble at the sight of 1018. They do ok in aluminum and soft stuff like cream cheese though ;)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've had good results with banggood inserts, but I treat them like they are fragile - as I said brass and aluminum.

I've moved away from discount inserts because I've had very bad luck - broken inserts, bad finish, ruined parts, etc. The expensive stuff sounds expensive but I get very long life out of them.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've had good results with banggood inserts, but I treat them like they are fragile - as I said brass and aluminum.

I've moved away from discount inserts because I've had very bad luck - broken inserts, bad finish, ruined parts, etc. The expensive stuff sounds expensive but I get very long life out of them.
The fragility of the BG inserts is the basis of my hesitation to spend big/bigger dollars on name brand inserts such as Kennemetal/Korloy etc. But if they are more durable then it makes sense.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think it has more to do with the grade of carbide more then actual brand. Frequently the imports (cheap) from China are simply low grade - not meant for hard work. If you buy premium you get relatively good results.

For me top of the line premium is usually $3 per insert in carbide (not ceramic). For normal size inserts $3 gets you like ferrari. Last very long time. No issues cutting 4330 at all, even no issues with some abuse.

For tiny inserts premium is around $1.5. This includes best brands like Kennametal etc.

For ceramic there is hard life - you usually cannot go much under say $3 for smaller ones. But most pp don't use these anyways.

I would have rather low expectations of bottom of the barrel pricse wise stuff such as https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I mean you are paying few cents per insert. Obviously no real coating and other cost cutting. Excluding shipping you pay less then 4 CAD per box, maybe actual price is like 35c CAD per insert.

You can go pay like 2x as much and go with Israel - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Or go with Mitsubishi.