Shop Inheritance Machining Episode

Shop
I'm looking for the collective wisdom of the group:

On a couple of episodes he talks about his grandfather's wisdom in putting wheels under the lathe and milling machine. I always thought the conventional wisdom was bolt it down tightly.

Generally, the IM guy is pretty spot on with about everything he does, so this has me wondering.

I'm getting my new-to-me Ex-Cell-O 602 and King 1236 delivered by HIAB this next week. Should I be looking at keeping them off the ground with the idea of putting a heavy wheeled (Machine skates) frame under them, or drop them on the cement? Easier to do it now when the crane is here. (the mill is currently on a pallet, and has lived there for the last few decades. The guy who is selling is a retired tool and die maker, and had no issues with it on a pallet.

Lifting the lathe is less of an issue that the 1 ton mill.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Put the Excello where it will not be needed to moved

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Put the Excello where it will not be needed to moved
Done. (I think)

I removed it from the pallet it was on when I bought it. The rigger let me do it while it was just off the ground.

I placed it on a couple of 2x10" with heavy rubber pieces under the feet.

Things were a bit out of alignment, and I was surprised how easily I could lift it with a 5' pry bar to straighten things out.

Not worried about having to move it anymore.

Andy G

On a couple of episodes he talks about his grandfather's wisdom in putting wheels under the lathe and milling machine. I always thought the conventional wisdom was bolt it down tightly.

Generally, the IM guy is pretty spot on with about everything he does, so this has me wondering.

I'm getting my new-to-me Ex-Cell-O 602 and King 1236 delivered by HIAB this next week. Should I be looking at keeping them off the ground with the idea of putting a heavy wheeled (Machine skates) frame under them, or drop them on the cement? Easier to do it now when the crane is here. (the mill is currently on a pallet, and has lived there for the last few decades. The guy who is selling is a retired tool and die maker, and had no issues with it on a pallet.

I do use wheels on my 16" drill press, and on my 20 ton arbor press. How ever I have levelling legs that are used. The only time the wheels touch the ground so to speak is to move the machines. My lathe and mill sit on their levelling pads at all times. I do not bolt anything to the floor at all. Where I live we have four seasons, and cement does move during those seasons.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member

I found this (non-graphic) lathe accident interesting… Not sure if it was bolted down or not. I suspect it wouldn’t matter.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I would never put wheels under anything in a machine shop. My mill and lathe are 40 ft apart and I had to swap positions in the shop. Weight alone, my mill is 3500lb and wheels would have destroyed the floor. My lathe is about a ton and the mill and lathe both have been scooted around in a 40 ft long area, in one afternoon. The solution is to learn a little about rigging and moving heavy stuff. I used a 12 volt quad winch and a 12 volt battery, a sheave, and a few floor anchors and had 85 ft of 1/4"cable to do it with. Heavy machines slide easily and if they don't lay down some grease and they will scoot along.
The heaviest thing I have moved with cables was a 40 ton ball mill that had been set down on a swamp and then spring arrived.:mad:

I found this (non-graphic) lathe accident interesting… Not sure if it was bolted down or not. I suspect it wouldn’t matter.
I've had this happen to me once on the Logan lathe about 30 years ago. Even at lower RPM any whip in the material regardless how stiff can lead to this happening. In my case all that happen was the material bend and nothing else.

Abom79 does a video on how to turn long material.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well, that's the end of the day. Yikes.

I like how he gets all excited at first and then just calmly walks away like it doesn't really matter. In my minds eye, I can hear him muttering about having to call his wife now to tell her he is getting fired. He isn't really worried about the razzing he is gunna get from the other guys.

The other guys are all just glad it didn't happen to them.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Good video, thumbs up and subscribed! My next house/shop I am hoping to replace my home made benches with something like what you show in the video.
Well poop. I thought it was going to be a big lathe, not something that sits on top of a toolbox.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
there are smaller lathes? :oops:

Actually I'll be looking to acquire a watchmakers lathe someday soonerish. just because.

LoL in the grand scheme of things 500lbs like mine is light for a lathe...some weigh 10's of thousands of pounds.