• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Images Not Displaying Today

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
MILs make a lot of sense to me but even the aviation industry hasn't converted yet.

Really??? It's hard to believe that a discussion of metric, SAE, and imperial actually positioned you to be able to understand MILs. My mother in law has never made any sense to me at all......

Sorry, I knew what you really meant, I just couldn't help myself...... :D

Brent H

Ultra Member
I think my biggest “pet peeve” with the whole thing is that the original metric concept was sound and could work. Then they went and f’d it up by removing fractions, ratios and perspectives that made things work for real humans. Seriously- screw these science guys that believe in tiny measurements- beyond everyday life - yes, serves a purpose for the absolute nerds, medical fields etc but “practically” total BS
Recently we had parts machined - needed to be accurate to 0.001 mm. (Manufacturer is Euro) That is total BS. You fart in the area of that part and the heat is enough to “blow” it out of spec. Plus it needs wear clearance and fitment.

Cost tax payers $$ and no issues with original parts. Asked to see final measurements- denied - metric is flawed - total crap

Sorry @Janger - LOL - I guess your original thread has gone metric

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Fun fact somewhere around -36 C and F cross over.

Ya, it's actually - 40 that they are the same. That always seemed weird to my American colleagues too.

I'll add another fun fact. You can carry propane in a pail at -42. Looks just like water after the butane boils off.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Recently we had parts machined - needed to be accurate to 0.001 mm.

You still cheesed off about that prop hub? Gotta let it go Brent...... Stupid people can't help it.

Let me explain.....

When you die, you don't know you are dead. It's just hard on everyone else around you.

It's the same when you are stupid......

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Really??? It's hard to believe that a discussion of metric, SAE, and imperial actually positioned you to be able to understand MILs.

What's to understand? 1000 increments vs 360, which is going to be more accurate.

I once mapped out an orienteering course using a MIL compass. When the time came for the candidates to navigate the course they were somehow issued a mix of MIL and DEG compasses. What a fiasco that turned out to be:p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What's to understand? 1000 increments vs 360, which is going to be more accurate.

I once mapped out an orienteering course using a MIL compass. When the time came for the candidates to navigate the course they were somehow issued a mix of MIL and DEG compasses. What a fiasco that turned out to be:p

You missed the joke.

MIL is also short for Mother In Law........ :D

Understanding MIL angles is easy. Understanding a Mother In Law requires Superhuman capabilities.