• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

I would love to hear thoughts on this ad for material.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
All I would say is try & check the alloy because some SS is not particularly great for hobby machines & you can waste a lot of time fighting mystery metal. Otherwise looks like a decent score.

Crankit

Round bar looks like 400ish grade SS from the look of the rusting, hard to tell on the square depending on how long it's been outside.

Perry

Ultra Member
I know this post is a little old. The ad is still on kijiji and it does look like the material has been marked. Maybe the seller will take a few better photos of the markings. Might help you out.

I found this post searching mystery metal. I have a piece I'm trying to identify. There are a few markings on it but nothing stands out to me. Maybe the collective knowledge of the group here will figure the puzzle out.

Here are a couple images.

DSC_3910.JPG DSC_3909.JPG

Looks like a stainless of some type. It had been outside for a longtime. There is a few markings that I can barely read. The top line is 1" T, next line 4" X ?? (48"). The piece is 1"thick by 4" and 48" long. The last line is probably the material spec. I see HT F?2302 , maybe HT F92302? The one inch sides have a hard crusted scale to them.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
It looks like stainless and it has been plasma cut off to that size. If the last numbers are 302 it is likely to be 302 stainless:

“Type 302 is an austenitic chromium-nickel stainless steel that is available in the annealed and cold worked conditions. Type 302 is a higher carbon, earlier version of Type 304 stainless steel, and many 302 applications have switched to Type 304 with the improvements in melting technology.”

Perry

Ultra Member
Brent, that might be it. I never thought about the edge being cut, but that would answer the scale. I was searching around last night and came up with GH2302. A stainless alloy.

The HT might be heat treated?