• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

I traded a case of beer for a lathe

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
How is this for a trade. I picked up this late in Edmonton last night it needs some fixing but the guy only wanted me to bring him a case of beer and I could haul it away. I have all the parts for the lathe. I need to clean it then reassemble it and machine a new nut for the X lead screw.
20160217_151938.jpg

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Some of these parts are rough! Any great ideas for cleaning these extra change gears? They have paper and old grease stuck to them. I think I may try cleaning this machine with a can of WD40 20160217_204844.jpg 20160217_204913.jpg

sorrelcreek

That's a sweet deal I would have done the same and made the drive up. What size is it? looks like it's got a nice long bed on it.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
The lathe is 19" swing and 72" bed. It is a gap bed lathe. I have not tried removing that piece yet. Where can i buy evapo rust?

L

Louis Dusablon

Nice score
I can see you have a lot of work ahead of you but it will be worth it in the end.

EricB

Whoa, nice haul man! Where'd you find that deal? I didn't see it come up on Kijiji

You going to do a CNC Retrofit to it?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I herd about it through a friend. The guy I picked it up from bought it at an edmonton machine shop called Frontier Valve. Then while they were moving the lathe it tipped over. For one rason or another it never git fixed. The only thing that is broken is the nut that moves the tool in X that will be an easy fix. I already picked up a new motor for it and once my mill cnc conversion is finished I am going to patch this machine up so that I can use it in my garage.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Boiling the gears in water-tsp will remove the grease. It's great for removing paint as well. I've never used evapo-rust

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Cool score. Look forward to the refurb. I finally realized what was bugging me about the pic. What's up with the compound handle on the 'other' side of the lathe?
Voest looks like quality iron in the day. What size is that one? Are the dials & gears metric?
http://www.lathes.co.uk/voest/

Attachments

• 2-24-2016 0000.jpg
    2-24-2016 0000.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 36

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Im not sure why that compound rest was spun all the way around. Here is a picture with it in a better position. This machine is imperial.
20160221_111658.jpg

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
So this project has sat for about a year now. I am just getting around to rebuilding this lathe or at least fixing it up enough to use it.
I bought this 5 hp single phase motor at princess auto because it was cheap and should work.
20170217_202113.jpg
Then I needed a tool post so i bought one as seen here. Message_1487198516795.jpg
this turned out to be too big so i had to get a smaller one.
1487288657948.jpg
This smaller tool post is the exact size I needed. I am still working to disassemble and fix things but this is a start.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I pulled the old motor out. It is 575V three phase so it wont be usable.
20170220_201249.jpg
Then after looking at this gear box I decided I would pull the front off the motor so I could use it as some sort of adapter. I still don't know how i will attach the new motor
20170220_201919.jpg 20170220_201935.jpg
20170220_203006.jpg broke the front of the motor loose with a puller and some hammer blows.

20170220_203621.jpg It was pressed on really tight but slid off without heating.

Attachments

• 20170220_203621.jpg
    20170220_203621.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 20170220_203805.jpg
    20170220_203805.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I had to take the Tailstock apart because it wouldn't move at all. It reminded me of @Janger "lathe problems". This time it was because the end of the thread was bashed badly. I quickly fixed this with a small air grinder.
20170311_181328.jpg Next i had a buddy help me lift the 5hp single phase motor into position. Tomorrow i will try wiring the motor up to a switch and see what happens. The motor mount is from the junkyard and needed to be modified. My concern right now is about motor alignment, time will tell but it is in there now.
20170304_025233.jpg Message_1489258609606.jpg

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I got the lathe going. I think I should have used a soft start motor because after about 4 hours of use the gearbox broke. Right around the same time I was offered a smaller lathe that was in working condition. I sold this machine for parts/repair and moved in the much smaller manual lathe that I still have today. I don't know what became of this big lathe but I kept the 5hp single phase motor and it is still working great 4 years later. Just for fun here is a picture the new owner sent me of him pressure this lathe it in the alley before bringing it inside his garage.
lathe.jpg