• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Howdy

deleted_user

Super User
Added removable casters (they will come off when it's in position but gives me an option to move it around if I need to), stand painted, tool boxes screwed in, and lathe put on top and bolted down.

I love your lathe stand. I think we erred in keeping our Craftex CT041 on the original stands. They have little real storage and they're a PITA to attach whenever you move the damn thing.

I'll see if my brother wants to make something similar to yours.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I love your lathe stand. I think we erred in keeping our Craftex CT041 on the original stands. They have little real storage and they're a PITA to attach whenever you move the damn thing.

I'll see if my brother wants to make something similar to yours.

Yup, this is useful storage and easy to move around. I just put a normal floor jack under the low cross bar on each side one at a time, lift it up, attach the casters, screw the feet in a bit, and set it back down on the casters. . Also weight wise, the Craftex stands look to be around 75-100lbs depending on model of lathe. My stand is conservatively around 300lbs (including empty tool boxes but not any of the contents) and so adds a fair bit of mass to the overall picture.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Awesome stand for your lathe! Great idea building the frame and setting in the tool box drawers. Makes for such a professional looking finish. Way to think outside the box!

Gives me an idea.

Last edited:

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)
I'm digging your lathe "bench" - I had imagined a similar setup for my own (and a separate one for the mill) - is that 2"x2" or bigger? (skim reader, may have missed it)

- Johnathan (Cambridge)

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I'm digging your lathe "bench" - I had imagined a similar setup for my own (and a separate one for the mill) - is that 2"x2" or bigger? (skim reader, may have missed it)

- Johnathan (Cambridge)

Yeah, main structure is 2x2x0.125 square tube.

I'm in the same area as you, saw your intro post, welcome aboard...could be handy to have another newb machinist around here lol

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah, main structure is 2x2x0.125 square tube.

I'm in the same area as you, saw your intro post, welcome aboard...could be handy to have another newb machinist around here lol

There seems to be a number of members in the KWC area - both young (brain is well oiled) and well worn (experienced). I get up there every so often too. My mother in law is in a home in Waterloo and I'm not allowed in so my wife visits while I sit outside in the car bored to death. I'd love an excuse for a side trip to help out with anything any of you might need. I'm old but still strong and I've forgotten more than most people ever knew. ;)

That might sound backwards, but words can be deceiving. Unfortunately, my looks give me away every time! :p

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
There seems to be a number of members in the KWC area - both young (brain is well oiled) and well worn (experienced). I get up there every so often too. My mother in law is in a home in Waterloo and I'm not allowed in so my wife visits while I sit outside in the car bored to death. I'd love an excuse for a side trip to help out with anything any of you might need. I'm old but still strong and I've forgotten more than most people ever knew. ;)

That might sound backwards, but words can be deceiving. Unfortunately, my looks give me away every time! :p

Definitely went covid gets back under control it would be cool to meet a few people in the area.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
LoL that should have said "Definitely when..." oops

No worries. We are all used to that here. If it doesn't quite sound right, we all usually figure it out. Either that or have some fun with it. Search on "wench" for a good laugh. Just one of hundreds like it but it is the first that came to my mind.

But here is another tip. Within limits, you can edit and fix your post if you notice the error soon enough.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
No worries. We are all used to that here. If it doesn't quite sound right, we all usually figure it out. Either that or have some fun with it. Search on "wench" for a good laugh. Just one of hundreds like it but it is the first that came to my mind.

But here is another tip. Within limits, you can edit and fix your post if you notice the error soon enough.
Yup, just wish the edit would stick around longer than it does.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Hey guy,

How high did you make the top surface of your lathe stand? I want to copy your design for my wood lathe stand
It's 34" tall with the adjuster legs all the way in, goes to 36" roughly with them out (they're 3" bolts, so keeping at least an inch of thread engagement). I'm 5'9, call it 5'10 with my work boots on and I will probably always use it with the legs as short as they can go while staying level. If you're a bit shorter, I'd aim for 32", if you're a bit taller the height I did is great.

deleted_user

Super User
It's 34" tall with the adjuster legs all the way in, goes to 36" roughly with them out (they're 3" bolts, so keeping at least an inch of thread engagement). I'm 5'9, call it 5'10 with my work boots on and I will probably always use it with the legs as short as they can go while staying level. If you're a bit shorter, I'd aim for 32", if you're a bit taller the height I did is great.

I'm 5'10" and my wood lathe chuck centerline is 15" off the table. With a wood lathe you want the chuck just slightly below your elbow height. That puts the height at 26" or so for good working height.

Our metal lathe is on 3" high stands and those are on risers made from 2 1/2" square tubing. about 34 or 35" high I think. If I want to be able to use this for a metal lathe in future I guess I have a trade off, maybe make a platform under the table that slides out and has anti-fatigue mat on it.. Or compromise with a lower metal lathe in future.

Based on the drawers being 10" tall I thought your stand was a little shorter than it is.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I'm 5'10" and my wood lathe chuck centerline is 15" off the table. With a wood lathe you want the chuck just slightly below your elbow height. That puts the height at 26" or so for good working height.

Our metal lathe is on 3" high stands and those are on risers made from 2 1/2" square tubing. about 34 or 35" high I think. If I want to be able to use this for a metal lathe in future I guess I have a trade off, maybe make a platform under the table that slides out and has anti-fatigue mat on it.. Or compromise with a lower metal lathe in future.

Based on the drawers being 10" tall I thought your stand was a little shorter than it is.

Or just make some taller feet...the bolts I used to do that are 1" diameter, plenty of material to go another few inches longer stick out without much/any loss in ridgidity. Or if you want, do a shorter threaded section and weld a chunk of tube on the bottom a few inches taller down the road. Then you can just raise it up if/when you put a metal lathe on top of it. Basically, design in the adjustability so you can easily raise it up later.

And yeah, my pictures seem to be deceptive...someone elsewhere thought it was one of those little 7x14 mini lathes on top. I used the wide angle lens on my camera for a lot of the pictures, so it distorts what it actually looks like.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Or just make some taller feet...the bolts I used to do that are 1" diameter, plenty of material to go another few inches longer stick out without much/any loss in ridgidity. Or if you want, do a shorter threaded section and weld a chunk of tube on the bottom a few inches taller down the road. Then you can just raise it up if/when you put a metal lathe on top of it.

I'd recommend that you put BIG lock nuts on those Big Bolts. Even with all that weight sitting on them, the thread fit will provide for more vibration and loss of rigidity than you might think. A lock nut will compress the thread fit such that the bolts cannot move.