• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Howdy from southern Alberta!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Rode school bus w/ Lyle's kids. Played in band w/ them, as well as Cam, Marcie, Laura. Worked w/ Toss @ Anderson Supplies.

Actually had a chance to blow out the cobwebs last Fri. Had to chip some ice away from the curb for safe egress/access after I rode down the sidewalk some. That got me access to a reasonably ice-free street, then a highway, then Ft Macleod for a beer at Stronghold. Did I mention I'm an unapologetic craft beer snob? Bit breezy, but temps were 12-ish. Decent enough for a January ride. Met a couple other guys riding en route.
Cool. I look forward to meeting you in person some day (and maybe I already have?!) Apparently you were in band with my sister.

What sort of metal working projects are you planning or have done, we love pictures and there are a few motorcycle aficionados around here also.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Cool. I look forward to meeting you in person some day (and maybe I already have?!) Apparently you were in band with my sister.

What sort of metal working projects are you planning or have done, we love pictures and there are a few motorcycle aficionados around here also.
'K, now I know which family you're from. I don't believe we've met, but we probably will.

As to projects, this spring I picked up a SB 9A that I believe was the one from ERHS. Near as I can figger, it's early 60's vintage. Always wanted a lathe, got a call from a buddy about an estate sale out in Masinasin, two weeks later I owned it. Not a lot of tooling, couple 3 jaws, MT2 dead center, MT2 live center w/ shot bearings, Jacob's chuck on MT2 and a few broken teeth on two gears. I've replaced one gear w/ good used from eBay, the other is on the spindle back gears. That's a topic for discussion in itself.

The lathe was filthy, took me 3 days to clean it up and that was after my buddy spent a half day doing the same. It seems to be in decent enough shape, w/ the usual nicks & bites associated w/ student use.

My very first project was a stunning example of a spacer washer for my bench grinder to move the wire wheel outboard so it wouldn't rub against the guard. Put a taper on it, used the drill chuck in the tailstock & everything! I was giggling like a schoolkid, smiles a mile wide. Since then I've made a number of small pieces for projects here & there, nothing fancy but learning all the time. Latest was a spindle protecter made from a 1-1/2 x 8TPI hardened structural nut that I had to anneal first in the wood stove (on New Year's eve), 'cause it kept eating my HSS tool. Kiss my butt, world, I have annealed! [snort] Only problem was, it would no longer thread onto the spindle & had to work that out.

I'm just in the process of moving over from the lantern toolpost to an AXA QCTP & look forward to the challenges & opportunities therein. Still smilin'...

As to photos, we'll see. I'm an organized chaos kind of guy & not sure if I want to broadcast that worldwide or not.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
As to photos, we'll see. I'm an organized chaos kind of guy & not sure if I want to broadcast that worldwide or not.

No worries broadcasting that your shop is organized chaos on here. You are in GREAT company! It was a total surprise to me, but it turns out that the greatest majority of us identify with that remark.

See the following thread. I extended the deadline so that you and other new members can participate and be counted. I'm not sure that was wise because I think it's common to start with great intentions and then give up and succumb to your genetic predispositions.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
'K, now I know which family you're from. I don't believe we've met, but we probably will.

As to projects, this spring I picked up a SB 9A that I believe was the one from ERHS. Near as I can figger, it's early 60's vintage. Always wanted a lathe, got a call from a buddy about an estate sale out in Masinasin, two weeks later I owned it. Not a lot of tooling, couple 3 jaws, MT2 dead center, MT2 live center w/ shot bearings, Jacob's chuck on MT2 and a few broken teeth on two gears. I've replaced one gear w/ good used from eBay, the other is on the spindle back gears. That's a topic for discussion in itself.

The lathe was filthy, took me 3 days to clean it up and that was after my buddy spent a half day doing the same. It seems to be in decent enough shape, w/ the usual nicks & bites associated w/ student use.

My very first project was a stunning example of a spacer washer for my bench grinder to move the wire wheel outboard so it wouldn't rub against the guard. Put a taper on it, used the drill chuck in the tailstock & everything! I was giggling like a schoolkid, smiles a mile wide. Since then I've made a number of small pieces for projects here & there, nothing fancy but learning all the time. Latest was a spindle protecter made from a 1-1/2 x 8TPI hardened structural nut that I had to anneal first in the wood stove (on New Year's eve), 'cause it kept eating my HSS tool. Kiss my butt, world, I have annealed! [snort] Only problem was, it would no longer thread onto the spindle & had to work that out.

I'm just in the process of moving over from the lantern toolpost to an AXA QCTP & look forward to the challenges & opportunities therein. Still smilin'...

Awesome it sounds like your off to the races with the lathe. It's very rewarding for most of us to make even the smallest thing.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Yes , I may as well blurt it out , I’m a long time bike nut / Harley rider , my preference is older stuff but it doesn’t hurt to have a turn key go anywhere , any time ride
Agreed. I like the older iron, too, but it sure is sweet to jump on something & just ride. My main ride is a sofa model: an Ultra. Crank up the tunes, lock cruise control on & watch the miles roll past.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver Island.
The government doesn't call them hammers, they are "Multi Directional Impact Generators" and cost $800 buck a pop, or that's what they cost in 1989.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver Island.
The government doesn't call them hammers, they are "Multi Directional Impact Generators" and cost $800 buck a pop, or that's what they cost in 1989.
Mill Test Reports and ISO certificates $137 extra

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
And OSHA certification for taking the course in "Safe use of Percussion Persuaders"

-- welcome to the forum!