• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Howdy from southern Alberta!

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Wanted to send out a great, big fat hello to the forum members.

I'm in the Lethbridge area & I've been lurking for the last 4 or 5 months. I've been tapping into the knowledge pool already and can't help but think, man, if what I see here is hobbyist, holy hell... Not sure how much I'll be able to contribute, but I got a ton of questions.

As far as gear is concerned, I got hammers. Lots & lots of hammers. Big ones, small ones, new ones, old ones, sledges, rubber ones, even a brass one. And a broom & shovel to clean up the messes. Lotsa messes. I s'pose there's a few other tools & pieces of equipment here & there that'll probably come up in conversation in time.

JustaDB= Just a dumb biker. Been riding for a few.

Looking forward to this all.

PS Glad you got the registration issues figgered. For a day there I thought my reputation preceded me... ;)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome @JustaDB.

If I have to list all the hammers I own, I'm gunna need a much bigger screen..... :oops:

Especially if I have to include the ones I need to put a new handle on someday.

And then there are axes, mauls, adzes, hatchets, picks, etc etc. and all the other stuff one swings with a handle.

So let's not go there. It would depress me.

A huge big welcome to you from Ontario Farm Country.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hello neighbor. Welcome from probably even more south southern Alberta than where you're at....maybe...I'm in Warner.

Yes there are a few "posers" here that call themselves "hobbyists" but in reality they are far beyond many of us. Don't let them intimidate you. We wouldn't let them hang around here if they weren't so damn friendly and helpful.

You said you've rode bike for a few....I'll assume that means fossil fuel powered ones? Is that part of your aspirations in hobby metal working? With a gaggle of hammers I'm suspecting tin bashing or black smithing of some sort?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes there are a few "posers" here that call themselves "hobbyists" but in reality they are far beyond many of us. Don't let them intimidate you. We wouldn't let them hang around here if they weren't so damn friendly and helpful.

Remember. The more you know, the more you know you don't know. Therefore, those "posers" on here have more to learn than the rest of us...... LOL!

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Hello neighbor. Welcome from probably even more south southern Alberta than where you're at....maybe...I'm in Warner.

You said you've rode bike for a few....I'll assume that means fossil fuel powered ones? Is that part of your aspirations in hobby metal working? With a gaggle of hammers I'm suspecting tin bashing or black smithing of some sort?
I grew up in Cream Creek. ;) Very familiar w/ the area & the people. I knew some Pittmans from the area. Distantly related, actually. You local or an import?

Yes, bike as in Hawg, not bicycle. As for the hammers, no, just to break stuff that isn't cooperating. I mean, fixing things! No tin bashing/smithing.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Especially if I have to include the ones I need to put a new handle on someday.
I have a claw hammer that my Dad gave me. Two handles & a head replacement & he swore it was the same one that his father brought over from the old country. :)

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I grew up in Cream Creek. ;) Very familiar w/ the area & the people. I knew some Pittmans from the area. Distantly related, actually. You local or an import?

Yes, bike as in Hawg, not bicycle. As for the hammers, no, just to break stuff that isn't cooperating. I mean, fixing things! No tin bashing/smithing.
Interesting. Where is home for you now?

Yes, I'm pretty local here, been here all my life, my father was here all his life and his father before him homestead here.

You're probably getting anxious for spring/summer eh so you can get on that hawg.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Interesting. Where is home for you now?

Yes, I'm pretty local here, been here all my life, my father was here all his life and his father before him homestead here.

You're probably getting anxious for spring/summer eh so you can get on that hawg.
Rode school bus w/ Lyle's kids. Played in band w/ them, as well as Cam, Marcie, Laura. Worked w/ Toss @ Anderson Supplies.

Actually had a chance to blow out the cobwebs last Fri. Had to chip some ice away from the curb for safe egress/access after I rode down the sidewalk some. That got me access to a reasonably ice-free street, then a highway, then Ft Macleod for a beer at Stronghold. Did I mention I'm an unapologetic craft beer snob? Bit breezy, but temps were 12-ish. Decent enough for a January ride. Met a couple other guys riding en route.