• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

How often do you sharpen your lawnmower blades?

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm just curious how often you sharpen your lawnmower blades?

Honda dual blade if that matters.

File, flap disc, or grinder?

Proxule

Ultra Member
Depends on how often I mow. Or how many rocks I hit.
I do it twice a growing season. With my flapper wheel. Nothing crazy or fancy.

Prior to this new toro mower I had a old beater. I was tired of sharpening constantly so I hard faced with some hardcover 460.
In theory it was an awesome idea, But it made the balde very brittle and did not deform with it snagged or hit a rock, In the end it was a good experiment but not worth of the gold.

GLuck

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm just curious how often you sharpen your lawnmower blades?

Honda dual blade if that matters.

File, flap dis, or grinder?
I just did blade sharpening yesterday. 3 blades from tractor deck mower and 1 blade from push mower. The push mower I sharpen every couple of years and keep it pretty fine/sharp as it cuts only nice lawn grass. The little ride on tractor mower blades got sharpened the first time by me just yesterday. While I think they are still considered a "finish" blade and not a "rough" mowing blade they are a much more thicker, steeper angled sharpened edge than a little push mower. I wouldn't ever call the edge on them "sharp". I'm not sure what they were like new as I've did not own the tractor new. Other than grass, I mow gopher mounds, gravel, beer/pop cans and various other detritus, none of which a finely sharpened blade tolerates real well.

I started with bench grinder, did a bit on belt sander but mostly used angle grinder with abrasive disc and sanding flap disc. I think next time I'd just use angle grinder.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Once or twice a year. Usually in the spring after the first few mowings and I've hit all the roots, rocks, branches, and limbs I haven't picked up yet :D. Then again midway through the year. I cut a lot of grass though (about 3-4 acres), and most of it's rougher cutting/reclaimed pasture. I just use a flap disc/angle grinder and I don't put a dead sharp edge on it though, as it will just roll over in my experience. More of a slight flat. Different grass and tolerance for having a beautiful lawn require different approaches. A friend of mine changes?sharpens his push mower blades every other week or so. Beautiful lawn though. I have slightly different (lower) expectations......

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Don't forget to balance it afterwards.

This thing just came up in my youtube shorts reel. Seems like it would be pretty easy to make, and be a bit more useful for other things that need balancing. I'll admit I only use a screwdriver, and really don't fuss to much about balance when I sharpen. I do more damage to my spindle bearings hitting stuff, than running out of balance lol.

Engmaxx

(Michael)
1684443325617.png This is what I use. As cool as the one you show with the magnets, I bet it is way more expensive and takes longer to setup. In seconds I am done with this little gem.

View attachment 34619 This is what I use. As cool as the one you show with the magnets, I bet it is way more expensive and takes longer to setup. In seconds I am done with this little gem.
I used to use one of those, but I *started* (hee hee, started, my azz), finding it increasingly difficult to find a clear spot to put it, so, I am back to the nail on the wall that I started with.....:p

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I picked up a spare set of blades, so I have a sharp set ready to go.

I'm in full gardening / landscaping mode, this week I made a little 50' meandering path of pavers that passes through a trellis (Clematis) on the way to the creek in what will be the back edge of forest shade garden, formerly the no go zone 6' tall of every conceivable type of weed. First time I walked there came out covered in weed burs. It's all cedar mulched now. Weather has been cooperating.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I have a Hustler Raptor mower, and 3 acres of lawn. But I have clay, and very few rocks. But I am caring for a neighbors place and he imported rocks for a mud free driveway...rocks, not gravel.:mad:
After a good hit, I examine the blade and if damaged, I pull over to the shop and remove and grind them on the belt grinder. I have found the fuel consumption goes up and grass clumps are dropped like wads of cow poop with a damaged blade. A sharp blade blows out individual blades of cut grass which are easy to deal with.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I mow about 5 acres, maybe 6 if you include the sides of my driveway/laneway. Maybe 8 if you include farm field lanes and the machinery yard.

I generally sharpen only when badly needed - grass looks like someone used a sickle on it. My mower is 62" and has 3 blades. The hardest part of keeping the blades working is keeping the grandkids away from stones and farming impliments. They all love to cut grass and machinery. I figure I'm lucky if I can get a season out of 6 blades. I always replace them over the winter to start the following year with a new set.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
This thing just came up in my youtube shorts reel. Seems like it would be pretty easy to make, and be a bit more useful for other things that need balancing. I'll admit I only use a screwdriver, and really don't fuss to much about balance when I sharpen. I do more damage to my spindle bearings hitting stuff, than running out of balance lol.

Decades ago now, we dropped by my parents with our two dogs. (Burben and Wiski both from Cambridge Bay, NWT).

Regular Saturday coffee morning I think. Anyway, my dad was in the garage. He'd just finished sharpening his lawnmower blade. Wiski, our younger all white female was off wandering around. Burben and I were standing there watching my dad spin his blade on ball bearing based balancing mechanism. My mother came out and laughed at how the boys, (my dad, me and Burben) were all staring at this spinning blade while the girls (my wife, wiski and her were off doing other stuff).

This post just reminded me of that. Pleasant memory from so long ago.
Thank you.
John

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The discussion here makes me wonder how many of you actually balance your blades?

I confess that I sharpen but never balance. The only time I ever noticed that balance was a problem, the blade had a huge missing piece.

For those that do balance - can you really tell? Or is this a feel good thing?

I guess I've always assumed that chopping grass on mostly the leading part of the blade rotation, was a way bigger off balance load than an off-balance blade could ever be. Who cares if it vibrates a bit when it's just sitting there? Either way, I've never noticed a problem even just sitting there. Yet I can easily feel a rough engine.

What's your opinion?