How much to you pay for a haircut? How much per year?

darrin1200

Darrin
Couldn’t tell you the price. My wife has been cutting my hair since I married her, 30 years ago this month. (She cuts her own hair as well). including through 18 years of my military career, every two weeks wether I needed it or not. Less time if a special parade was on the calendar.
She has saved us a small fortune.

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
I can't remember the last time I actually paid for a haircut. My wife has been cutting what little hair I have for as long as we have been together. A ways back when I was cruising around the Pacific ocean on my sailboat there was another Canadian fellow that was usually traveling in the same area and he had worked as a barber. We had a deal. I supplies the generator for him to cut a few peoples hair and mine was free. It was usually done on a log or big rock or an upturned bucket on the beach. That would be good for Paul because the hair would just blow away.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Haircut? Nope. Beard trim? Yep. Every 3 or 4 months or whenever, 15 bucks a pop. While I'm there she trims the split ends off the little hair I got left.

When I still had my business open, I paid w/ a dozen fresh donuts. Her customers that day loved 'em. Those I could write off. I mean, allegedly write off. (checks nervously over his shoulder...)

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Before pandemic was $30/cut every 5 weeks and the person came to my house to do it (was a former receptionist where I worked). Since pandemic, wife started doing it and so now it's free :)

trevj

Ultra Member
Last haircut I paid for, was so bad I bought a set of clippers and shaved it off.

Been cutting my own hair for about 20 years now. First time was with a set of dog grooming clippers, as an emergency measure, had a Parade to be on, in the Military, and had forgot to get a cut, so I did it myself. Nobody said anything about it, so it was passable enough.
Eventually got some decent clippers, and even did a straight razor trim around the back and neck.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Now is about the time of year I buzz it myself with a #2 (1/4") clipper. Rest of the year is walk in at a first choice for around $20 every month/1.5 or so. #2 on the sides, as close as you can with scissors up top. Blend it in, and square up the back. I do the beard myself. I figure it's only 6-7 more years and there wont be much left to cut.

I also cut my Sons hair. After about 30 years of getting pretty much the same haircut aside from those long hair highschool years.....I figured out how to do it by watching. It's not that hard and I'm to the point I can do a really good job, but now HE'S in the the long hair years, so I'm not allowed to touch it, even though I think he looks like a muppet. The girls at school love his flowing locks, and I know the genetic time bomb that awaits him, so grow it now while you can lol.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The girls at school love his flowing locks, and I know the genetic time bomb that awaits him, so grow it now while you can lol.

I've heard it said that you inherit baldness from your mother's side, not your dad's.

My dad's side were all bald. My mother's side was mixed. I have two brothers that are bald and there are 3 of us with hair. LOTS OF HAIR. My bride's family is all hairy and so are all of my boys.

Don't know if it's true. But the anecdotal evidence in my family supports the idea.

Your son may keep his hair yet.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've heard it said that you inherit baldness from your mother's side, not your dad's.

My dad's side were all bald. My mother's side was mixed. I have two brothers that are bald and there are 3 of us with hair. LOTS OF HAIR. My bride's family is all hairy and so are all of my boys.

Don't know if it's true. But the anecdotal evidence in my family supports the idea.

Your son may keep his hair yet.
My Dad's Father died at 91 with a head full of jet black hair. My Mothers Father was bald (same pattern as mine....) for as long as I can remember. I've always heard that too, and have no reason to believe otherwise. Wife's Father is getting pretty thin all over, but it's all there still. He may have a good chance of hanging onto it.....

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Y
My Dad's Father died at 91 with a head full of jet black hair. My Mothers Father was bald (same pattern as mine....) for as long as I can remember. I've always heard that too, and have no reason to believe otherwise. Wife's Father is getting pretty thin all over, but it's all there still. He may have a good chance of hanging onto it.....
Yes I think there is something to the baldness coming from the mother's side. My mother's brothers were all bald as biĺlard balls and I seem to have got those genetics also. However I have four older brothers that all have more hair than me and although I am younger, I was at least 25 years earlier than them to show a significant receding hairline.

I might be bald but I lucked out and got all the handsome genes.
gettyimages-3176-000008-612x612.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I might be bald but I lucked out and got all the handsome genes.

My dad used to say that God made many different heads. Some were handsome and some were ugly. He felt sorry for the ugly ones so he put hair on them to hide their ugliness.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I worked in one of the 'big 3' consulting firms for 17 years. During that time, my grooming and clothing had to be immaculate. A trim every 3 weeks and a stable of suits costing a couple of months wages. And still they complained. Sn in the last 2 years I started to grow it out and trim every 6 weeks or so, The grumbling continued, but at the same rate. Saved hundreds per year on cuts.

I left due to (their) dubious business practices, so that points at who they were.

.... I don't go in for one very often, but when I do, the exchange goes something like this:
Hairdresser: good day sir, how can I help you today?

Me: Well, I would like you to tighten up the part line a few inches and style it like I did back in the eighties.

Hairdresser: (confused) so you want a cut?

Me: please, the one on the right as well as the left one....

Last edited:

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I spend around 40 bucks a year, 2 hair cuts at 20 each. A good friends wife whom i've known since the dark ages cuts for me. I get to catch up on the gossip then have coffee with my buddy. Hair shop is in the basement of their house. :) My parameters for a hair cut is when hair is sticking out under my hat at all angles, side hair grows well the stuff on top is getting rather thin.

Stellrammer

This cost $15 Amcn , after a day of diving and drinking with my taxi driver in Dominica. His wife had a hair shop next to the pub. Almost missed the cruise ship departure.

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 8

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My biggest issue with hair is not on the top of my head, but in my ears. What in evolution hell causes your ear hair to explode while the stuff on top dies?

140mower must have the answer.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
My biggest issue with hair is not on the top of my head, but in my ears. What in evolution hell causes your ear hair to explode while the stuff on top dies?

140mower must have the answer.
It's evolution's last ditch effort to convince you to NOT put Q-tips in your ears before you die.
Screw them in now and you will regret trying to pull them out.