How much to you pay for a haircut? How much per year?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
The other day when I was in Guelph I went to a combination cigar shop and barber.

I expected that the prices would be on the higher end and was not disappointed to see I was correct with a cut starting ay $40. I did not partake in a cut or a shave, I was there for the cigars.

But it go me thinking, what is the new average going rate for a haircut at a barber shop? I have only had one haircut at a shop since covid hit in 2019. I got the cut in 2020 after my first vaccine during the spring lull.

I am trying to see how much I've saved by cutting my own hair...

I already saved thousands by grooming my two shih tzu myself. It was hard to learn to get them looking like they did when they came from the groomers, but were pretty damn close except for the one dog who wont let me groom his front legs with clippers.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
You have enough hair to get an Actual haircut ! Lucky guy !

I don't know what a cut would cost, I haven't had an actual hair cut in 15 years or more, 40 a cut and shaved wouldn't seem out of line these days

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I only get haircuts at a shop when in foreign nations. Shave as well.

I remember prices for Nepal. At around 4500 meters, two days walk from the helipad / airport a haircut is around 11 CAD. Same for a shave.
Drop to 4000m and prices are about half that - same as in Kathmandu. I would not be shocked if you could get it for 3.5 CAD.

Pakistan and India are similar prices - I think I am getting a foreign extra price through. I don't remember exact $.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I only get haircuts at a shop when in foreign nations. Shave as well.

I remember prices for Nepal. At around 4500 meters, two days walk from the helipad / airport a haircut is around 11 CAD. Same for a shave.
Drop to 4000m and prices are about half that - same as in Kathmandu. I would not be shocked if you could get it for 3.5 CAD.

Pakistan and India are similar prices - I think I am getting a foreign extra price through. I don't remember exact $.
the airfare to nepal is a bitch though

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Never had a pro haircut in my life.
Dad cut until I was tired of whitewalls.
Mom cut it till I was a teenager.
I didn't cut it at all for a few years. My hair is curly so it mostly just got bigger instead of longer.
Yes, I looked like Bob Ross in highschool.
My wife fixed that mess for a few years and then said "Handle it"
Now it gets cut about twice a year. I shave it all off in the spring when the ticks come out and it gets too hot and then again at the start of winter so my toque fits. The seasonal transition gives the old boys at the post office something to talk about.
The Ronco Home Barber set cost me 19.95 decades ago.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I cut my own hair too. I got my hair cut at a salon when I was 19 or so. They butchered me pretty bad. I fixed it myself. I figured if I could fix that mess, why not cut it myself? Cut my own hair and beard ever since.

No idea how much I saved on haircuts. But at price of fuel to get there, I should be a trillionaire by now.

Biggest savings by far has been the time saved.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I get mine cut at the mall barber shop it’s always been around the $20.00 mark, I haven’t had a hot shave for years.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
When I was in Mississauga price was about $20-25, In Ottawa I found a guy close to home that does a great job, this guy definitely marches to his own drum. $11.50, so I leave a generous tip.

Stellrammer

$20 in the small town of Dutton in SouthWestern Ont, I leave a tip of $5-10 depending on the bill denominations and change back, it’s a 10 minute job.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
$20 plus another $10 for the beard here in Victoria. I can do it myself, but I hate cleaning up the mess.

Upnorth

Last time I got my hair cut where I live it was $15 that was about 6 months ago though.

Cheapest haircut ever was in n'Djamena in Chad. 40 cents. I do not recommend going there.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
$25, but during the haircut I get all the local gossip and often get restaurant reviews, so not a bad deal.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Last year my barber hooked me up with a restaurant in Nice. There's value there. :)

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Yeah, that hot shave is a lost art. My barber of 20 years has passed and I miss that velvet cut. Need to train my wonderful wife for that i guess.

Newcomers don't seem to have the touch yet. :(

Engmaxx

(Michael)
LOL. She used to own the shop in the mall across the street. Been doing our hair for something like 20 years Fished with her husband. Long family friend. It certainly is convenient as I work from home and get haircut at home. Jeez I order most things online now. I go out to grocery shop or Home Depot just to get out of the house!

Tom O

Ultra Member
LOL. She used to own the shop in the mall across the street. Been doing our hair for something like 20 years Fished with her husband. Long family friend. It certainly is convenient as I work from home and get haircut at home. Jeez I order most things online now. I go out to grocery shop or Home Depot just to get out of the house!
I go to Timmies for that reason free wifi for checking out the posts and $1.90 for a medium double double