• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

How much should I sell my old mill for?

Looking close at the photos, whomever built it was a true machinist if not even tool and die maker (likely old school European), The details for where the precision and strength counted was there, the short cuts to get it running but will updated it later (never) where also there.

Nice little versatile machine overall that saw use.

Not sure if you can tell in the pictures but one neat thing about it is that instead of milling things like the dovetails and the table from solid pieces they are all built up out of pieces of 1/2" plate/flat bar. The dove tail is a piece of flat bar with the angle milled on both sides then bolted down to a wider piece creating a dovetail. this was done for all 3 axis. The table is also built by sandwiching many layers. the tee slots are made the same way using cold rolled flat bar. A small piece with a larger one centred on top creating a "T" with counter sunk fasteners every few inches down its length. The entire mill is bolted together mostly with counter sunk fasteners. I don't recall seeing a single weld on the entire mill other that the stand it is on. It really was incredible well made and worked very well. I enjoyed using it. Sadly I am not smart enough or a good enough machinist to modify it and add a quill so it was replaced. I have some pictures of it taken apart into manageable size pieces from when I first bought it. I had to take it apart to get it out of the basement that it was built in. If there is any interest i can post them.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
He used fasteners as welding distorts things. Yes you could weld but then you need to post machine and the thing could AFAIK still later on change shape. I assume some things, like the table, were made out of layers due to simple reason he had such stuff in stock or cheap.