How much power is enough?

Hacker

Super User
The other place to look for motors is at an auction sale. I just picked up two Baldor motors, 2 hp three phase 240/480V and a 180V DC 2 hp motor for less then $50 including tax and fees.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Unless I'm missing something, the input is also 3 phase on this particular unit
Best is to give them a call, tell them what you need and let them find it. I had to call them to find the single phase version of my VFD, the web site doesn't show all the configurations they have.
I think @Dabbler has the TECO VFD spec you're looking for on one of his machines.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Dude where did you get yours Barnes lathe? I acquired mine from an old employee who worked at IBM. My friend bought his house from the gentleman and told me that the guy was selling off his equipment. He kept his stuff in pristine condition. I wish I'd have bought his quorn grinder too
My Barnes lathe came from the old blacksmith shop in my local town, the owner said he bought it during WW@ to repair shafts as new parts were scarce. Not sure where it came from originally, was wore pretty bad but got me started.

deleted_user

Super User
My Barnes lathe came from the old blacksmith shop in my local town, the owner said he bought it during WW@ to repair shafts as new parts were scarce. Not sure where it came from originally, was wore pretty bad but got me started.

Ah I was hoping you ended up with our old lathe. I wish I knew where it went but I never met the buyer.

Thomas

Unless I'm missing something, the input is also 3 phase on this particular unit. Mind you if it goes up to 599 Hz then you could theoretically get a lot more speed out of a motor than it's nameplate indicates. ;) That said I'm not sure how things like bearings and armatures would hold up at those speeds.
You can overspeed an electric motor on a VFD but your torque drops off quickly, the high frequency that drive is capable of is for high speed motors( i.e spindle motors) which are designed to function at that output having different core / rotor designs, higher tolerance balancing and precision bearings.

I think your going to want slower speed higher torque for your application, line shaft speeds of 200 to 250 rpm were common.

Hacker

Super User
This is one that a few of us are using with great success to do 1PH to 3PH adaption.
That is the same VFD I have and it has been a great unit. Can't believe the price. I think I paid that much in USD when I bought it five years ago.