Hot Start and Arc Force

Downwindtracker2

Gone are the days of wandering over to the industrial Miller, checking the polarity, cranking the knob and flipping the switch. I'm retired now, and have a KMS's Magnum Wave 200 TIG/Stick welder . It seems it's another thing that has to be programmed. I can't get an usable arc, much too weak . I'm using 7014 3/32 and I think I've adjusted it to 90 amps. 7014 is just a deluxe 6013, I know I could burn 7018 3/32 at 90 and weld. (but it's better at 110) I have used 7014 on this welder before but I must have thrown the setting off and can't get back there.

Downwindtracker2

It's on correct mode, I had to bring out the magnifying glass to check. Fresh and dry rods, who has those ? That's like getting 7018 out of an oven. I've heard of it but never done it. 7014 is one step up from 6013, the 'ol tinbasher rod . I got a bunch of it so I use it. It's not bad, it fills better 6013, but not as well as 7018 . But you don't have to run it as hot.

Downwindtracker2

Thank you, that one minute welding job is done. I didn't check the setting, it was hot, which was fine. I think the last time the welder was used for stick, my son welded a new tongue frame on to my utility trailer with 7018. I found I had a hard time welding overhead laying on my back. I wasn't strong enough to manage the arc. My son is millwright ,too.

At the time KMS was just across the freeway from me. A bit too handy, in fact. I was just looking for a simple stick machine, I had some stainless stick welding to do . Using the MIG would involve buying another bottle for the Tri-mix . When I saw the price , knowing KMS, they bought a bunch and needed to get some out the door to pay the banker. It was a very good deal. But it was also a bare machine, no stinger,no foot pedal or flow meter. A poor excuse for a manual. ESAB wrote a good manual for their Shanghai Electric 186i . A very similar machine . No mention of setting up Hot Start or Arc Force in it either.

Last edited: