• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hot Start and Arc Force

I would never buy any kind of chineese welding machine.
You can weld all day long with this one, no digital display or electronics here kids.
Ive restored it, cleaned, painted and lubed the adjusting mechanism.
Put a stand and casters under it. Theres over 200ft of cable some is brand new.
If anyone likes this machine PM me.
I've used those Idealarc, very nice, and holy shit heavy

the real problem with the old transformer machines is they are horribly inefficient and require huge breakers for the same output as an inverter machine, the size and weight is an obvious second issue. They are not entirely bullet proof either, the scr's/rectifiers do go, although they are still very reliable.

i have used the ideal arc series, the dial arc's, the bullet style machines, sa200/300's, and some of the old Hobart's, they all weld really well, but very soft, even if you set it up on the two ranges to be as crisp as possible they were still very soft, also more difficult to teach someone with the lack of hot start. But if you have one, the breaker, and the space, no reason to get rid of it.

OK, no defection then. But not touchin it either.
LOL! So strong, yet...weakness! :P

There are a few so called 'local delicacies that I have no desire to bother with, like, Balut, ferinstance, or witchetty grubs, but pretty much anything that is meat and I wasn't trying to pat on the head or scritch under it's chin, I'll probably try!

Not keen on insects, but have ate my fair share of lobster, crab, and crayfish... fwiw...

I've used those Idealarc, very nice, and holy shit heavy
Ayup. But they also depend on your being able to find a decent one, as well as to be able to handle the logistics of moving it, as well as powering it. Everybody 'should' have a pickup truck and a shop hoist, but not everyone does! :)

The Chinese welders fit in an odd spot, in my field of view. They are too much money for me to be comfortable risking on a crapshoot, despite the capability they offer.

I got a diesel Miller Bobcat 225D (in Acklands Orange) with a TIG HF/gas control box and 12 whole hours on the clock, for under a grand a while back. Needed two hours of internet homework, and a bit more than that of actual shop time to get it to weld, but it does.
For about half that price, I got a Miller HF250 (250HF?), AC/DC welding power source that runs off the 50A plug I have available. Too big for the crackheads to steal, too ugly to expect it to sell anyways, but deadly reliable for AC and DC TIG and stick.
To round out the collection, I had bought a Red-I-Arc ex rental unit that came with a fairly well equipped Lincoln LN25 suitcase MIG unit. The welder found a new home, making my cost on the LN25 a little over $400.

I'd love to have a little TIG unit that was portable as well as capable, but the brand name stuff comes too dear for my blood new, and some of that actually has a pretty poor record for repair costs or simply no support, and as I said, the Chinese stuff seems too much a crapshoot for my comfort levels

This puppy is 50 yrs old solid copper windings, u can fry large rods with it all day long and it wont pop a board. Nice stable arc with dig.
Chicken cordon blue baby.
Save your tough steak and snakes for stew
A transformer based unit also uses more power (wasted in the TX as heat), but no capacitors to dry out over the years.

If I had access to a tombstone buzz box, I'd open it up and put in a $20 aliexpress 200A heavy duty rectifier/heatsink and 24v fan and quick connect females. Maybe a pair on the AC side (aluminum?) and a pair of DC to reverse if needed.

Arc force is also called dig, for the reason of the crater. It senses when the arc is shortened and cuts volt and boosts amps. Hot start is just that, and for lo-hy rod should be 30-40%. Lower makes a smooth buttery weld
Interesting. I wonder if that and graphite gouging rod would be good for blowing out crap welds at inside corners.

I tried using the TIG mode at full amps with the gouging rod and got up to like 2" arcs all over the place, gouging nikola tesla style, except the for the DC thing...

Are you saying this for that particular machine ? Or are you saying this in general for yourself

If you find you need to run 3/32 7018 on that machine at 110 it's quite possible the displays are out to lunch, 110 for 3/32 is practically incinerate for that size rod

The "amp" setting on these cheap IGBT machines seems to be less actual amps and more a linear % of full power.

IE my machine went up to "200" (actually about 150A measured with a DC clamp meter) but 200 on 120v AC supply (75a actual) is about the same as 100 (of 200) on 240v AC supply.

This is the welder I bought new in 1997. Waiting in vain for capacitors to fail. It is a beautiful thing to use, especially in vertical uphand.
Of course, Thermal no longer makes them. You can buy them used on ebay sometimes. I bought a 400 MST recently for a spare, still 400 amps, but configured to default to mig when you turn it on.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-21 074653.webp
    Screenshot 2024-06-21 074653.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 1
This puppy is 50 yrs old solid copper windings, u can fry large rods with it all day long and it wont pop a board. Nice stable arc with dig.
Chicken cordon blue baby.
Save your tough steak and snakes for stew
Ye the old transformer welders do weld smoother depending on the unit. the arc also doesn't has as much electrical noise either.

Most of the old transformer welders are made by same companies and just rebranded when it comes to the little welders.

One of the welders I used to come across when I used to do shutdown work locally was in Revelstoke sawmill and was one of these puppies. Would love to have one but the industrial machine are usually 460v or 600v and start at 100 amp breaker lol

DSCN0755.jpg

Edit.

You can make those Chinese welders do a lot of work if your crafty. And ye being super light is a big bonus. they may not last long sometimes but bang for buck is pretty good.

Last edited:
For all you fans of the sparky electronic lunchboxes..

I visited a friend in Quesnel this weekend.
He showed me his machine manufactured in Prince George BC by RJR equipment innovations with canadian made electronics

AC DC + tig + plasma cutter
He bought it second hand for $600.
It stopped working. He sent it to the manufacturer in p.g. to get fixed.
He told me the owner of the company fixed it himself and gave it back to him...free of any charge. The owner said they stand behind their product 100%
The price of a new unit is half price of a miller XMT but much more than Chairman Xi's offerings

For all you fans of the sparky electronic lunchboxes..

I visited a friend in Quesnel this weekend.
He showed me his machine manufactured in Prince George BC by RJR equipment innovations with canadian made electronics

AC DC + tig + plasma cutter
He bought it second hand for $600.
It stopped working. He sent it to the manufacturer in p.g. to get fixed.
He told me the owner of the company fixed it himself and gave it back to him...free of any charge. The owner said they stand behind their product 100%
The price of a new unit is half price of a miller XMT but much more than Chairman Xi's offerings
Don't get me wrong on this, but I'd be willing to bet rather a LOT, that none of that was made here in Canada. Let alone in PG. Been there. Assembled, at the longest odds, and likely assembled from several sea cans of like parts...

I was pretty surprised and skeptical to hear what my friend told me as well
Next time im in pg I will go find this outfit and check it out and report back.

Back