• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hi Wayne here from north of Cochrane

Wayne

I have had one experience with warranty at KMS on a King Canada bench mounted belt sander. It came with a one year warranty and after 13 months the motor went up in smoke. I was prepared to go to battle with KMS and King Canada but when I took the machine into the KMS store the counter guy took one look at it, then went to the shelf and got me a new one. He said King Canada has great warranty and would not question his decision to replace the machine. KMS and King Canada will get more or my business.

This is the sander I bought.

https://www.kmstools.com/king-canada-bench-top-belt-disc-sander-390

After taking to bottom cover off it quite evident it was not made for sanding metal because there if nothing to keep the metal debris out of the motor, in fact the fan on the motor will actually draw the dust in. I'm sure that's what caused the failure of my first one. So I don't recommend this sander for metal but I'm happy with the warranty service I got. I'm still working on a way to protect the motor on the new one from another failure due to ingested metal dust.

Hi John,
That is great news! They are a long, long way from here but what you say will make it worth the trip.
Wayne

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
King has a store in Calgary? I thought they were only out east. The King lathe I was referring to in KMS Calgary is a bigger size (12x36).
https://www.kmstools.com/king-industrial-12-x-36-metal-lathe-with-stand-12933

Here is King Canada link
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm

I have a King 14x40 purchased mid-90's from Modern Tool Calgary. Its been a decent machine but really has seen light use until past couple years. Modern Tool used to be a King distributer back in the day for smaller lathes like this (mostly they are industrial big boy machines). Mine is Taiwan iron, generally considered a slight step above the first Chinese offering that started to arrive in that era. I found this same lathe under a variety of paint schemes & labels, both in Canada & USA. But the world changed. Modern Tool subsequently dropped King & pursued their own line China direct so they could directly control quality (and probably take out another middle man). They have a 14x40 & and a now that I look at it, a smaller one too, links below. They are good people, very machine knowledgeable, directly connected to parts, warranty work etc. So that's another viable option. This might be outdated info or sales talk, but I was told they spec'd/upgraded the motor & electrics direct with manufacturer to mitigate known teething pain.
http://www.moderntool.com/
http://www.moderntool.com/products/modern-cq6128x660a-lathe-11-swing-26-between-centers/

Back to King, I *suspect* they also have a blend of lathes depending on the size/model but you would have to chase this down. By that I mean, they may well be drawing from the same lathe sources as others. I mean they look so obviously similar. Now what they do to pre-screen or QC is for sales people to convince you.

Wayne

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the info. I like the modern tool 11 X 26 inch lathe but I noticed that they don't put their prices on them. I always think that if your afraid to put your price on something your advertising that your charging too much and hope that your quick talking salesman can close the deal anyway. That may not be the case, but then why not list a price?There is a Modern Lathe for sale on Kijiji for $1200.00 it would be interesting to see why he is selling it.

Modern cq6128 x 660 lathe
Good shape.
220v
New 2600$
For 1200$ obo
403 862 3043
Comes with 3 & 4 jaw chucks
And some accessories
MODERN 11″ Swing, 26″ Between CentersCQ6128X660A LATHE

King Tools in Calgary is located at 6311 - Center Street South

Wayne

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think I see whats happening. That address = KMS. They are listing themselves as a King distributer/depot/whatever.

Attachments

• 1-16-2016 0001.jpg
    1-16-2016 0001.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 4

Wayne

Yes, that's them. Here is their blurb...
KMS Tools is a Canadian retailer of power tools, woodworking, metalworking, and construction equipment. It was started in Coquitlam, BC in 1983 by Stan Pridham. As of September 2012, KMS Tools operates 9 stores across Western Canada. The company offices and distribution warehouse are both located in Coquitlam with the main store, car parts and the service department.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't be too concerned about Modern not posting prices, just call them. That's just a company on-line preference. The exchange rates are so volatile lately & maybe price variations tied to what they have in stock vs. what's coming. Also factor the delivery / pickup charges, even with Calgary based firms. You might see some variation there for 'all-in' costs.

Wayne

I suppose, although King's prices are all listed. Modern does have some interesting stuff. They need a lathe store in Cochrane. lol.

Wayne

I spoke to them at KMS Calgary. They are not King Canada but are a distributor for them. The guy I spoke to thought the 12 X 36 might be a little large for a hobby lathe. I was thinking it might be a little small. lol.
Wayne

John Conroy

Premium Member
I was looking for a 12 X 36 when I found my 14 X 40 for sale. I have done a couple of things on it that would not have been possible on a 12 X 36. Everyone I talked to before I bought said buy the biggest machine you can afford and have room for. I agree with that statement now!

Wayne

Hi John,
I agree whole heartedly with you. I would love to have a larger lathe but there is no way that I could ever afford it. Although with that said, I am going to have to get real inventive to move even a 12X36 into place. Almost a thousand pounds and top heavy as all get out. It looks like I may need to find a engine crane on wheels, but then that's another three or four hundred dollars I'd have to borrow. Heavy Sigh. LOL and I won't have bought any tools yet.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Some things to be careful of when moving a lathe. As you stated they are very top heavy. I moved mine by using a lifting strap wrapped completely around the bed so it choked down on the bed when lifted. Be careful to use blocking to keep the strap from touching the lead screw etc. The center of balance will be close to the headstock so you will have to experiment a bit to find the balance point. I used the tailstock, sliding it back and forth on the ways to fine tune the balance. Don't try to do this without help like I did! I was lucky and got mine done with no mishaps but there are lots of stories of people that dumped their machines trying to move them. I bet one of the Calgary members would give you a hand and maybe even lend you an engine crane. Here are some pics of my lathe move.

P4190913_zpsdf98faf9.jpg

P4190914_zpsfc13dc0c.jpg

P4190915_zps70b4cd0e.jpg

I welded up a steel base for mine with a 1" nut at each corner then used threaded rod to raise the whole base assembly high enough so the engine crane legs would fit under it for easy alignment. The steel frame stiffens the base a lot so you don't need the sheet metal cross brace between the pedestals.

P4200922_zps779644b0.jpg

Once it was sitting on the base I just turned the threaded rods a little at a time at each corner to let it down and level it. Don't forget to seal the hold down bolt holes with silicone or it will leak any oil in the chip tray onto the floor. Ask me how I know!!

In this pic you can see it is partially lowered and still has the sheet metal cross brace, I took it out later so I could install 2 shelves for storage.

P4200925_zps5e567bba.jpg

Here you can see it in it's final resting place with the shelves installed. The steel frame base also makes the footprint of the machine larger and more resistant to tipping.
P8110319_zps23a40613.jpg

Wayne

Wow, nice job!
The threaded rod legs are a great idea, not sure that I can pull that off though. Once you had the lathe on the stand and unhooked the lathe from the crane, how did you move it into position? You remind me of me...you knew better than to try to do it alone , and then did it anyway. lol. Where is the cheapest place to get an engine lift that will handle at least a thousand pounds? It's a pity they can't put the stand on wheels that then lift up off the floor like they do with large table saws.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I made up some wheels using 1" connecting nuts for the threaded rod, some 3/8" cold rolled round bar and some el-cheapo bearings I got at princess auto, about $2 each.

P9120623_zps1cc41afc.jpg

P9120624_zps18dc7cc8.jpg

P9120625_zps4301f79e.jpg

These worked OK for the lathe and my small mill but did not stand up to the weight of the 2500 lb Ferro mill. I made some heavy duty wheels to move that machine.

P2160773_zps13228f68.jpg

P5241060_zpsb0jccijc.jpg

P5241063_zpsz2o2k3lg.jpg

P5251066_zpstg2horiu.jpg

P7161124_zpsisurjjnq.jpg

Once the wheels are threaded onto the rod you just turn them with a wrench to the direction you want and push, the machine moves pretty easily of the floor is smooth and clean. All of this would be much easier with a pallet jack but I don't have one, nor do I have room for one. I bought my engine crane at Princess Auto for about $200, but you can probably rent one from an equipment rental place. I use mine a lot so it's worth while to own it. If you were closer I'd lend it to you.

Wayne

Those bearing wheels are brilliant! The heavy duty ones are the best but then you need a lathe already to make them. What type of welder are you using? Princess auto doesn't carry the engine lifts anymore, or at least I couldn't find one on line. There was a equipment rental place in Cochrane but they closed. I will have to try to find/borrow one. My wife sent my picture to Princess auto and told them not to let me in. I spend Waaaaaay to much money on stuff I might need in the future there.

Wayne

Thank You Good Sir! I used your link and Canadian Tire wants $369.99 for one. Jeez! For a one time use that is a bit pricey. I may have to contact the Langdon guy but that is light years away from here for an old guy. lol. I may wait until I can get one before I get the lathe as there is really no point in having it if it can't be set up and running. There might be a new hobby for me right there. patience... Nope that won't work. I'll find one somewhere.

Product #09-1086-2

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Wow lots of good commentary. I own the Cx701. I read all that stuff too before I decided to buy one anyway. Mine is very satisfactory. It's my first lathe and I already want a bigger model with the gear transmission and more capacity. But it's a very nice machine for $3K. It can do all kinds of stuff and I have had a great time using it and learning. I have some other craftex gear too and for the money I think it's great stuff.

All the other accessories you will need too really adds up. Tooling, drill bits, quick change tool post (really need that) micrometers, gauges, hones, live center, band saw. Oh and then you can join us in the great metal hunt! And curse metal stupid market with the rest of us. Recently I've been blowing a fortune on used books but toms machining, tubalcain, and others on YouTube are great to get started.

If you want to see mine working just let me know.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I rented an engine hoist for $50ish if I remember right from the rental place on Horton Rd. Radar's Rentals Calgary, AB

Wayne

Hi John,
I wish I had that info a day ago. LOL not to worry, I think I am going with the Taiwan made King lathe though. They were very helpful and have a service section. I kind of think some of what I've heard is the Chevy Ford thing but the thread that runs through them all is that the Taiwan lathes are more reliable for beginners. I would like to watch your lathe in motion in the future and would like to learn tips and traps from your experience as well.

Wayne

Wayne

I will find a hoist somewhere, no problem, it might just take a bit longer. There is a lot of stuff that needs to be properly thought out BEFORE the purchase of a lathe including, what size to get, where to put it, how to wire it in, how to move it in etc. All equally important issues. Haven't even got to what I'll build with it yet.