Hi there !!

Mark Miller

Hi I'm Mark I've just bought a 55 Chevy truck and I'm planning on doing all metal work myself !! So will be looking for lots of advice, my dad was a metal work all his life unfortunately he passed before I could learn everything from him. So now feel this is a way of staying with him.. I moved to Edmonton from the uk 2 years ago and had to leave a lot of my tools behind as they wont work here due to different voltage etc. Will be looking for Mig welder and other tools I have my compressor but need a new 3 hp motor for it can anyone suggest where I can get one ??
Thanks
Mark

Mark Miller

Hi John I went to princess auto and they can't match the rpm motor wise will that be a problem as its only running a compressor ??? Could I lower the hp at all ??
Thanks
Mark

John Conroy

Premium Member

John Conroy

Premium Member
What size are your the pulleys on the current motor and the pump? Example would be if the motor has a 3" diameter and the pump has a 9" pulley the ratio is driven divided by drive or 9/3 or 3/1. Divide the motor speed (2850) by 3 to get the pump speed would be 950 rpm. If you use the 1740 rpm motor to calculate the correct size pulley to get a pump speed of 950 rpm again divide driven by drive or 950/1740= .55. Now multiply the 9" pulley by .55 to get the new motor pulley size. 9 X .55=4.95 or 5". So you would install a 5" pulley on the new 1740 rpm motor to get the 950 rpm pump speed.

Mark Miller

Thanks john appreciate all the advice I can get !!! I'm guessing it works the same having a higher rpm I'd just put a smaller pulley on it ??? Also looking for advice/recommendations on a Mig welder should I also get a plasma cutter ?? I've seen some multi units are they any good ??? I had a 180amp esab unit at home in the uk with a full size argon bottle and 18" wire spool didn't get to use it much before I moved here gutted I had to sell it !!!

John Conroy

Premium Member
It would depend on how small the pulley needs to be with the higher speed motor. Too small and it will not have enough belt contact for good grip.

I have a Miller 180 amp mig welder and it has been great but if I was to buy one again I would seriously look at Everlast welders. forum member Kris Jensen is a licensed welder and uses Everlast welders in his home shop. You should talk to him about his recommendations. I am currently looking at buying a new tig welder and it will probably be an Everlast. Possibly this one as I could also use a plasma cutter.

http://www.everlastwelders.ca/multipurposeunit/powerpro-206.php

Jyman

Hey mark,

The 55 Chevy is a nice truck, I have a 48 and have done most of the work to it myself, what do you plan on doing to the truck?

Jon