• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Help choosing material

Didn’t this become a problem when whichever flavour of disliked politician imposed the GST tax grab on us? I’ve dealt with companies that don’t want any part of it and delegate the task to the couriers who are happy to do it for their “dinger” fees?

D :cool:

Maybe. But I really don't think that would stop most companies. They just ship US Post who don't care or by a carrier who is happy to ding you and me. US Post just transfers everything to Canada Post who is left to handle customs under the international post agreement.

Most US companies didn't skip a beat when GST came along. But there were a few who handled dangerous goods or regulated goods who got dinged by the US government for improperly EXPORTING regulated goods. That's why I think this all happened. Not GST. I don't know for sure of course, but I recall reading the policies of companies who refuse to ship to Canada, they don't mention HST. They do mention ATF and dangerous goods.

Maybe. But I really don't think that would stop most companies. They just ship US Post who don't care or by a carrier who is happy to ding you and me. US Post just transfers everything to Canada Post who is left to handle customs under the international post agreement.

Most US companies didn't skip a beat when GST came along. But there were a few who handled dangerous goods or regulated goods who got dinged by the US government for improperly EXPORTING regulated goods. That's why I think this all happened. Not GST. I don't know for sure of course, but I recall reading the policies of companies who refuse to ship to Canada, they don't mention HST. They do mention ATF and dangerous goods.

Now that you mention it I think ITAR/dangerous goods may have had something to do with it. Never miss a chance to give credit to the politicians for their VAT grab though…. :rolleyes:

I’ve found some companies can be coaxed to ship by the post office but others will swear it’s too expensive or can’t be tracked etc. Funny story, I managed to get the right person at Shars for my last shipment and it came via the PO and as a bonus somehow bypassed customs!

Now that you mention it I think ITAR/dangerous goods may have had something to do with it. Never miss a chance to give credit to the politicians for their VAT grab though…. :rolleyes:

I’ve found some companies can be coaxed to ship by the post office but others will swear it’s too expensive or can’t be tracked etc. Funny story, I managed to get the right person at Shars for my last shipment and it came via the PO and as a bonus somehow bypassed customs!

I hate the taxes too. Please don't stop bashing them!

I've also been getting the odd shipment escape taxes. There is supposed to be a de-minimus value that gets passed through customs without tax. Doesn't seem to me like it is followed.

Wanna get really pissed off? It's only $20 for Canadians. But it's $800 for Americans!!!

Nonetheless, in practice it seems to be more like $150.

I hate the taxes too. Please don't stop bashing them!

I've also been getting the odd shipment escape taxes. There is supposed to be a de-minimus value that gets passed through customs without tax. Doesn't seem to me like it is followed.

Wanna get really pissed off? It's only $20 for Canadians. But it's $800 for Americans!!!

Nonetheless, in practice it seems to be more like $150.

Interesting. My Shars order was about $80 but recently I had a shipment via Royal Mail for about $250 that was taxed plus a dinger fee of $10 which still beats the couriers.

I remember some of the politicians mooting a higher exemption level, maybe we can hope for the upcoming election? That would save the cost of collecting which has to be more than the tax it brings in…..

check out Reship (there are others). Gives you a US address and they will consolidate shipments, remove all documents and you fill out the declaration and send it however you want. Take advantage of inexpensive US domestic shipping, consolidate several shipments then have it mail it to yourself at whatever declared value you pick.

I remember some of the politicians mooting a higher exemption level, maybe we can hope for the upcoming election? That would save the cost of collecting which has to be more than the tax it brings in…..

My worst tale is a warranty claim on some specialty 3d printing resin. For some nonsensical reason the vendor put a $13 value on it and sent it DHL. DHL charge me the $1.69 tax + an $18 service fee.

THAT is what law makers should make illegal, the front stoop extortion. Any fees should be baked into the price when the customer has choice, at the time of shipping.

Fortunately not a life changing event for any of us, but it irks. It's so universally hated, I bet a politician could get some good mileage out of campaigning to make it illegal.

THAT is what law makers should make illegal, the front stoop extortion. Any fees should be baked into the price when the customer has choice, at the time of shipping.

That’s exactly the thing but it’s not the courier at fault (except for the cost of their fees), it’s the vendor that won’t do the import paperwork, collect the tax and hand it over to the government. If they did then the couriers could do what they do best - transport the goods. Digikey, MCM and the like do it every day. Not much the politicians can do about a company in a foreign country that doesn’t want to play!

Dumping the problem onto the couriers means they have to charge something to pay for their work and they charge what the market will bear.

BTW, the couriers have on line access to all the paperwork at CBSA via the waybill so they can clear a shipment with the click of a mouse from their high rise office somewhere downtown whereas you or I have to schlep all that paper to a border point of entry office to do the same thing!

Dumping the problem onto the couriers means they have to charge something to pay for their work and they charge what the market will bear.

100%, but they knew exactly what that fee was going to be when they took the order. It should have been disclosed at the time of shipping and or added into the price of getting it to you (not the taxes, but the fee). Then with transparency and while you still have a choice there is a chance for competition to limit price or you have the option of just deciding to pass altogether. Its waiting until they areon the stoop that imo is an unsavoury business practice.

Its waiting until they areon the stoop that imo is an unsavoury business practice.

Quite a few of my suppliers don't even tell you who they are using to ship with.

I don't find out till it arrives. Sometimes they will provide a tracking number that will tell you who is delivering it. And sometimes I get an email from UPS congratulating me for using the best service in the world and also telling me I can pay their outrageous fees in advance on-line. God how I hate those emails.

Back