• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Help choosing material

I agree with the post suggesting 12L14.It is soft, but has plenty of strength. It is the least likely to live long term without stripping the arbor.

That is a right hand nut as the saw is a left tilt saw. Not all but most moder saws that I have seen are left tilt with right hand arbor nuts. Atleast in the job site and contractor style saws. I'm not sure if people prefer left tilt saws or what the reason. I have a king job site saw and it is also right hand. I watched kijiji for a long time hoping I could just pick up a right tilt saw and take the nut off of that or even the arbor and nut. Eventually I gave up and decided to make my own.

Are you sure it's Acme? 5/8 18 is standard UNF V thread.

A careful look at the thread profile on the shaft shows it to be Acme? I can't think of a reason I can think of why they'd put an Acme thread on a table saw arbor vs a V thread;

I agree with the guys, make it out of soft steel, 1018 or 12l14. Far easier to replace a worn out nut in the future.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's Acme? 5/8 18 is standard UNF V thread.

I can't think of a reason I can think of why they'd put an Acme thread on a table saw arbor vs a V thread.
20240826_113559.jpg

I am not 100% sure since it is to small for me to really take and measurements off of but I don't believe it is a 60 degree V thread. I am purely basing that on the uniform flat tops of the threads so I could be wrong.

you are right, it's not a V thread! The numbers are sort of close to a 16mm x 1.5mm trapezoid thread (metric acme), further complicating things. Does the 18 tpi thread gauge mesh perfectly?

One more time with feeling, out to the saw again.

Please remember that all the measurements noted are from my saw and may need to be adjusted to work with your saw.

This time I took the nut off the arbour and did some measuring. The arbour is 5/8 in dia but it just looks like the threads were cut with an acme profile but not to full depth. The nut on the other hand will take a 5/8 standard V tap but hole is drilled to .550, normal 5/8 thread would be drilled to .530 (17/32), a 5/8 NC tap will go thru the nut okay but is loose. It almost looks like the nut is drilled oversize, then tapped leaving the flat spot match the arbour threads. In your case all the numbers will relate to the 5/8 fine thread.
You may be able to get away with a regular nut and bore/drill it out to around the .550 mark and try it. Get two nuts and work upto the .550 area and see if that works. The second nut is just a spare in case of an oops with the first one, not that I've ever done anything that silly. ;)
If you have access to a thread micrometer or thread wires the arbour could be measured to see if it is an acme thread ,it doesn't look like a true acme profile.

Unless things are different north of the 49th, McMaster will ship to anyone. They will even ship open account.

Things may be different North of the Border.

One of my brothers was a mine maintenance manager. He told me of a time when MC wouldn't sell to Canada PERIOD. He used to have to ship to a sister company in the US and then to Canada. They relaxed that to sell only to businesses in Canada.

I have had an MC account for millennia. But I didn't use it till a few years ago. I ordered under my account which triggered a review. I had to prove I was a business operating in Canada. I sent them a copy of my Business Information Registration. The parts arrived the next day.

I THINK...... this is all about clearing customs. They are not any different than many other US companies that refuse to do business with Canadians because there are too many US laws that can get them in trouble. Mostly I hear about ATF rules, but there are others.

The there are also many companies that refuse to sell directly to a Canadian - Leupold, RCBS, and others come to mind. Apparently they want to protect their distributors.

It's a complete stupid dog's breakfast.

you are right, it's not a V thread! The numbers are sort of close to a 16mm x 1.5mm trapezoid thread (metric acme), further complicating things. Does the 18 tpi thread gauge mesh perfectly?
I don't have an acme thread pitch gauge but did use a regular thread pitch gauge and as I recall I believe it was 18. It was a couple months ago that I measured it. I am pretty sure I also checked with a metric thread gauge to see if it fit any of those. I can go out to the shop and double check. I took my best guess with what I could measure and got a tap. Now that I have the tap for 5/8"-18 acme left hand that's what it is getting. If that doesn't fit I will turn up a new arbor to match the new nut. When I am trying to match unknown threads i will tap a test piece out of some scrap and then cut it in half and hold the half nut against the threads and see how they mesh.

I had to make a decision and do something I spent months trying to track down a replacement part. Settled on building one and then decided to take the gamble on ordering the tap. It was a pricey tap for a one time job but will hopefully be worth it.

I did find a couple of 5/8-18 LH Acme taps on eBay, but unless the photo’s are just “representative” they sure don’t look like 18 TPI:

IMG_8171.jpeg

I did find a couple of 5/8-18 LH Acme taps on eBay, but unless the photo’s are just “representative” they sure don’t look like 18 TPI:

View attachment 51936
I think the photos are generic. I believe you are able to get a variety of sizes and pitches from the same seller. I got mine from ebay I don't recall the seller. I believe it was around $80 ish with shipping. It's a chinese tap straight from china but should get the job done it only needs to tap a couple of holes.

Things may be different North of the Border.

I have had an MC account for millennia. But I didn't use it till a few years ago. I ordered under my account which triggered a review. I had to prove I was a business operating in Canada. I sent them a copy of my Business Information Registration. The parts arrived the next day.
With apologies for the side track:

I did an order recently under my business name. When I was setting up my account (basically a MCM login) I gave them the business name but no business number etc. and it went fine.

I think there’s another thread where people have made up a business name (e.g. non-registered/proprietorship: Josephine's Quality Machine Shop) and that went fine too. I think they want to weed out the unwashed public and the business name separates the adults from the children (I bet @140mower saw what I did there ;)).

I THINK...... this is all about clearing customs. They are not any different than many other US companies that refuse to do business with Canadians because there are too many US laws that can get them in trouble. Mostly I hear about ATF rules, but there are others.

It's a complete stupid dog's breakfast.

Didn’t this become a problem when whichever flavour of disliked politician imposed the GST tax grab on us? I’ve dealt with companies that don’t want any part of it and delegate the task to the couriers who are happy to do it for their “dinger” fees?

D :cool:

I registered a business name with BC Registries and got a business number. McMaster Carr said my address was a residential address and I told them that's where my business office is located.
They said OK and shipped. I think I've ordered at least three times from them.

Back