• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Help choosing material

Megar arc 5040dd

I need some advice and opinions on what material to use for a table saw arbor nut? The nut that holds the blade on the arbor of my table saw stripped out a while back. A replacement was nonexistent. It is a lesft hand 5/8" 18 acme. I ordered a tap over a month ago and it finally arrived to day so now I can make a new nut finally. I just don't know what I should make it out of. The last nut was made of steel and after about 30 years of use the threads basically pulled out of the nut. I am worried that if I make the next nut out of steel then I run the risk of damaging or wearing out the threads on the arbor and that would be a real pain to take apart and replace. But I also need it to be strong enough that it doesn't just pull the threads out of the new nut right away. My first that was maybe brass but or some type of bronze?

Please I am open to all suggestions and advice.

Id personally use mild steel plate, 1/2 or 3/8, partly because thats all i got laying around. I dont think its the kind of nut that needs to be torqued to high heaven as it tightens on itself like an angle grinder nut. Should be good enough for another 30 years. The arbor threads are alright? I image theyre a touch harder than the nut, which is what you want.

Just had a look at my saw and it's a 5/8 acme as well and is only 1/4 thick. Mild steel should be okay since, as @quitereal mentions, the nut will tighten itself so no need to go cromag on it.
You could make the nut out of hardened 4140 and the in 30 years the spindle thereads will strip, and you can make another spindle. Me, I vote for soft mild steel also

12L14 will be easy to machine and will stand up as well as 1028/A36. Or use 1144 (1-1/4” x 1’ rod US$24 from McMaster), which also machines nicely.

Or buy an 18-8 SS 5/8”-18 LH Jam Nut:
IMG_8161.jpeg

Or regular nut:
IMG_8162.jpeg
(Bolt Depot only has LH nuts in SS)

Granted that takes the fun out of it.

12L14 will be easy to machine and will stand up as well as 1028/A36. Or use 1144 (1-1/4” x 1’ rod US$24 from McMaster), which also machines nicely.

Or buy an 18-8 SS 5/8”-18 LH Jam Nut:
View attachment 51907

Or regular nut:
View attachment 51908
(Bolt Depot only has LH nuts in SS)

Granted that takes the fun out of it.
The thread is 5/8" 18 lefthand ACME. I was able to find regular 60 degree left hand nuts but not ACME so I went with ordering a tap. That way I am also set if it happens again. I am not a business so I can't order from McMaster but even if I could I can't even begin to imagine what shipping would be on a piece of 1-1/4" x 1" rod :eek: I can get 12L14 locally I would have to check if they have it in a large enough diameter. I have never used 12L14 but here it machines nice I would just have to make sure I mark any leftover stock so I don't use it on something in the future that needs to be welded.

The thread is 5/8" 18 lefthand ACME. I was able to find regular 60 degree left hand nuts but not ACME so I went with ordering a tap. That way I am also set if it happens again. I am not a business so I can't order from McMaster but even if I could I can't even begin to imagine what shipping would be on a piece of 1-1/4" x 1" rod :eek: I can get 12L14 locally I would have to check if they have it in a large enough diameter. I have never used 12L14 but here it machines nice I would just have to make sure I mark any leftover stock so I don't use it on something in the future that needs to be welded.
I have ordered from McMaster-Carr in the somewhat recent past and while it can be pricey for items that are otherwise unobtanium it can be a life saver.

I need some advice and opinions on what material to use for a table saw arbor nut? The nut that holds the blade on the arbor of my table saw stripped out a while back. A replacement was nonexistent. It is a lesft hand 5/8" 18 acme. I ordered a tap over a month ago and it finally arrived to day so now I can make a new nut finally. I just don't know what I should make it out of. The last nut was made of steel and after about 30 years of use the threads basically pulled out of the nut. I am worried that if I make the next nut out of steel then I run the risk of damaging or wearing out the threads on the arbor and that would be a real pain to take apart and replace. But I also need it to be strong enough that it doesn't just pull the threads out of the new nut right away. My first that was maybe brass but or some type of bronze?

Please I am open to all suggestions and advice.
What make of saw is it?

Sorry, missed "acme" in your original post (just saw that Mike's was an Acme). 12L14 should work fine and it is a please to work with from a machining perspective.

I just used Bolt Depot & McMaster as I am familiar with them and can find pricing. I am also certain you can find 1144 locally, but don't know what range of diameters so you can buy something that will be useful in the future while not having to machine a lot away to "discover" the hex.

EDIT: assuming it is actually 5/8”-8 Acme, McMaster has them in stock, so other, local sources should also:

IMG_8164.jpeg
Based on other non-structural “carbon steel” products I have purchased from McM, this is probably 12L14.

Last edited:
Unfortunately neither of those state the thread pitch, type of thread, or if they are left hand thread that I could see. There are a wide variety of 5/8" arbor nuts out there for table saws as 5/8" is the most common table saw arbor size. They come in many different tread pitches and a few brands even did their own proprietary threads. depending on if the saw is right tilt or left tilt will determine if the arbor nut is right or left hand threads. most tend to be right hand threads these days.

Back