• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Help 300lb table crane - must be some mechanical engineers around here?

Tool
not that i have or likely ever will have a 16" chuck

I have a 13.5 chuck, so it is relevant to my practice. - so I could use a short cheater, but I prolly won't. I have a concern that too many people clamp too hard on things.

I have a 13.5 chuck, so it is relevant to my practice. - so I could use a short cheater, but I prolly won't. I have a concern that too many people clamp too hard on things.
I agree. People should put an indicator on things, and calibrate their Umph sometimes. It would probably be hard to visualize on a lathe chuck, but pretty easy to see how much deflection you can put into something with a mill vise (which should translate). I did that with the last young guy I trained. He was a big strong kid, and his stuff was always "out" just a little. We were trying to figure it out, until I watched him snug something up one day in the vise, and the lightbulb came on, and the indicators came out. We re calibrated him, and all started working out........Screws can impart a tremendous force, which can work against you when trying to machine things precisely.

If you zero out on the fixed jaw, then clamp your part in like you're in an arm wrestling competition that reference plane is no longer @ zero.....

Back