• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hello from Steven in Winnipeg- I’m a little slow…

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
When I had my lathe show up, the first challenge was to learn how to move something that was so heavy! That was a whole other learning experience in itself.

First I had to get it off the two pallets it was delivered on:
2D28D00A-0529-4577-B0CE-BE1D700D57BB.jpeg

I had a long discussion with my fitter-machinist brother-in-law about whether to pull it apart or keep it in one piece to move it down into the basement. Since I didn’t know what I was doing I followed his advise and started working on how I’d get it down there.

And of course as is normal for me I way over designed everything. Here’s the pieces of the ramp ready to be assembled onto the stairs:
027CA1B1-AAF1-4D87-9611-22ED9C6369AB.jpeg 71976EF3-132D-4AAC-8419-57F23BE22925.jpeg
And assembled:
49B576B6-9931-4489-B7D8-AD29D1A89664.jpeg

And on the way down, one person at the bottom winching it down, one at the top restraining/letting it down:
9A261D8F-3E02-488C-AE4E-9F8ED3228D86.jpeg

And almost safely at the bottom of the stairs:
B42D709A-FC31-4FE7-A5C6-ACCE2FAA2DBE.jpeg

I don’t have any pictures from when I almost tipped the shop crane over 15 minutes after the above photo was taken, I was kinda busy. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have called it a day and did the final part the next day not when I was dead tired and starting to not think straight…

I hope you didn't dismantle that system. It'll be handy to bring the mill down, and the shaper, and the 2nd lathe, etc :D That slope looks pretty slippery....
.....and since he is going to be using it a lot, he might want to think about one of those little 2000 lbs winches to replace the come along. After all, a guy wants to look forward to new tool purchases....:D

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Ive been looking.....

The main hurdle isn't the printer. Its the computer and 3D Cad software......
IMO that's where they really start to become usefull is the ability to model, and print your own idea. There are a lot of neat and usefull things you can print online, but I can count on both hands (maybe need a toe or two) the amount of downloaded models I've printed from someone else in the years since I bought my first one. I'm going to break that streak shortly as Jr and I want to build an arduino controlled robotic arm together, and HE wants to print it himself. And I don't want to design it lol.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
IMO that's where they really start to become usefull is the ability to model, and print your own idea. There are a lot of neat and usefull things you can print online, but I can count on both hands (maybe need a toe or two) the amount of downloaded models I've printed from someone else in the years since I bought my first one. I'm going to break that streak shortly as Jr and I want to build an arduino controlled robotic arm together, and HE wants to print it himself. And I don't want to design it lol.

I think you missed my point Dan.

You said:

Buy one. They are so cheap, fun and useful every house should have 3 :D

I have to buy a computer to use it.

I have to buy an annual
License for Compatible 3D Cad software to use it.

In other words, the 3D printer is NOT CHEAP at all!

But ya, I'm watching, and thinking, and hoping!

Snocrusher

(Greg)

I have to buy an annual
Not so, some free CAD software for 3D modeling:

Blender

DesignSpark Mechanical

FreeCAD

Fusion 360

Meshmixer

Onshape Free

SketchUp Free

Tinkercad

Can't help you with the Free Computer though.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member

You said:

I have to buy an annual

It's not quite that bad.
For free on Linux or Windows PCs is FreeCAD 0.19.
Fusion 360 is free with certain conditions.
For not a lot there's Alibre ATOM which is buy once and it's yours. If you want updates then you pay but it's not a repeating license.
https://www.alibre.com/buy-now/

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member

You said:

I have to buy an annual

Didn't miss your point, But I think you missed mine (and the overall joking tone of my post) There are free cad systems out there, the slicer software is free. Just an investment in time to learn it all. I didn't know you didn't have a computer. Don't think I could be faulted for that. I honestly assumed you were typing from one, but perhaps you're relaying your messages to someone that has one using a horse messenger, tin cans on a string or carrier pigeons? :D

I'm not saying they're free, I'm not saying they will cure world hunger. Just saying they're pretty cool tech for the amount of money you need to lay out.

Sorry Steven, I'll stop wrecking your into thread trying to get you to spend your money on stuff :D.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Impressive carpentry!

Free advice FWIW. I cant quite tell by the picture but whenever I see straps anywhere near feed/lead screws I feel it my obligation to say take precaution. Some lathes have a bed / rod geometry whereby straps wont make contact with the rods. Consider those a gift that protects us from ourselves. But many other machines allow the straps to squeeze them once the lathe weight cinches the the straps straight. No good becomes of this. Even slightly bent rods will show up as machining problems, irregular surface finish, unequal carriage feed (power feed and or threading), stressed bearings/bushings, potentially shifting or stressing the worm gear & carrier bracket inside the carriage housing.... These parts all cost money to replace or remedy.

Its better if you can attach some kind of extended blocking to underside of lathe bed where the straps have no chance to do this. Smarter guys than me might have some good safe ideas as to how to accomplish.
Hope the move went well.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-03-28 9.33.21 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-03-28 9.33.21 PM.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 6

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Didn't miss your point, But I think you missed mine (and the overall joking tone of my post) There are free cad systems out there, the slicer software is free. Just an investment in time to learn it all. I didn't know you didn't have a computer. Don't think I could be faulted for that. I honestly assumed you were typing from one, but perhaps you're relaying your messages to someone that has one using a horse messenger, tin cans on a string or carrier pigeons? :D

I'm not saying they're free, I'm not saying they will cure world hunger. Just saying they're pretty cool tech for the amount of money you need to lay out.

Sorry Steven, I'll stop wrecking your into thread trying to get you to spend your money on stuff :D.

So, my humour sucks. Too dry to get the humour without being there I guess. Certainly not meant to be argumentative.

I really didn't miss your point Dan. Nor did I miss your joking tone. In fact I laughed out loud. Especially at getting three!

My choice of humour was dry because it did have a serious side to it. I realize that most of my problems are self imposed. So I like to laugh at myself.

Believe it or not, I've been using rapid prototyping systems (that's what they used to call 3D printing back when it was prohibitively expensive for hobbiests) for something like 30 years. Starting with paper layered glue systems, then stereo lithography (laser activated resin layers) to ABS wire/thread systems (sort of the fore-runner to modern 3D printers). I even worked on the development of a sintered metal system that we hoped could make production parts.

It's hard to get my head around how the prices have tumbled. Back when we were pioneering them, nobody could have ever guessed they would become so cheap or so ubiquitous. You are absolutely right about how cheap 3D printers are today.

When industry started doing real-time global collaborative design, rapid prototyping really took off. It provided a way for team members on the other side of the world to build prototypes and develop solutions to their part of the big picture without flying back and forth for meetings and lab visits.

I'm glad I don't have to do that kind of stuff any more. And I am REALLY glad prices have crashed to the point where you can actually call a 3D printer cheap!

For the most part I was using dry humour to complain about the current situation for me personally. You are allowed to laugh at me.

Yes I have a computer. I used to have 5 of them. The only one I have right now is dedicated to MS Flight Simulator. That's the only game I play (if you can call it a game). Loading other software onto it screws up flight Simulator so I keep it clean and don't run any other software on it. As phones have become more powerful, I've more or less stopped using computers. Thus from a fellow who designed, built, and programmed his own computer before there were any!

Instead, I do ALL my forum and other on-line stuff like banking, wordprocessing, shopping, etc on my smartphone. I run my home automation, my security system, my farm gps guidance system, diagnose my car, listen to music, calculate machining parameters, do stress analysis, and a million other things on my smart phone. Believe it or not, we also have two network file servers here and two networked laser printers that my wife and I print to from our phones as needed.

But Sadly, ...... Unless I'm mistaken, my smartphone isn't gunna run a 3D printer. At least not yet anyway. Next month maybe. At least I hope so. There is no good reason that it couldn't. Just that nobody is doing it yet (that I know of).

I always assumed 3D Cad was huge bucks. I'm surprised to hear there is anything free out there that is actually worth using. I had a 2D Cad program on my old computer but I really hated using it. I used Catia on a super-workstation before I retired so I was spoiled rotten. Everything else I have tried seems like riding a kids tricycle compared to flying a fighter jet. I can accept that for hobby use but again, everything seems to cost way too much for too little. I also know that there are 3D Cad programs that will let you design things free as long as you don't save them. Seems like a really stupid way to con people into buying/leasing the full version.

So ya, I want a 3D printer, but I really don't want to have to buy another computer let alone be tied down to one spot and have to use a keyboard on a desk again. I love the freedom and portability my phone gives me.

I'm also annoyed at the annual licensing system the Cad companies have started adopting. I want to buy it and own it. I don't want to rent it.

Lastly, I worry about getting stranded by a CAD company that baits me into using their software and then suddenly changes horses and wants big bucks to keep using it!

So that's my story Dan. I'd love to know what free Cad software you use and why you like it. And I'd like to hear your thoughts about its future viability too.

I'd also like to know what printer you would recommend and why.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My apologies too! Wish I was older and more mature. I wouldn't get side tracked so easily..... ;)

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
…the approach you used to slide the lathe down the stairs.
…I hope you didn't dismantle that syste…
....think about one of those little 2000 lbs winches to replace the come along…
I had to think long and hard about whether to post pictures of how I got the lathe downstairs. I way over prepared and didn’t want to come across as a total nut job… Partial is ok though, I’m used to that…
Towards the end of the ramp build I was cursing that I didn’t pull the lathe apart, I must have spent enough money on wood that I could have purchased half of the next expensive tool I’m coveting.
But I was already pregnant with the scheme, so I continued and I now have some pictures to shake my head at.

The come along’s actually worked really well, plus one of them has already gone to the cottage to help pull trees in the direction where I want them to land. I think they were rated for 2000lbs, after the lathe was about 1/2 way down I winched it a couple of feet back up again without very much effort.

It all went as planned, except for the budge overruns and except for when I was tired and stupid and nearly dropped the lathe. But apart from those, it went smoothly.

…FWIW. I cant quite tell by the picture but whenever I see straps anywhere near feed/lead screws I feel it my obligation to say take precaution.
Thanks for the concerned advice. Here’s a picture from another angle that shows how I had another support under the lathe to keep the slings off the lead screws etc.:
76E1B96F-C521-4770-ACA4-0B66E0F87A60.jpeg

At the risk of derailing Steven's thread any further…
My apologies too! Wish I was older and more mature. I wouldn't get side tracked so easily.....
LOL, I’m happy for any thread I’ve started to be derailed especially since I really want a 3D printer too. Now your politeness means I’m going to have to look in another thread for advice on how to spend money on one.
(My sense of humour is a tad dry too…)

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Duplicate response due to timing out when posting… Perhaps there’s a character limit on posts…?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Duplicate response due to timing out when posting… Perhaps there’s a character limit on posts…?

Ive posted way bigger posts than that. Prolly more likely to be your browser refreshing when the forum server wasn't expecting it.

I hate long posts...... So please write lots of them!

I gotta confess that your sled making is amazing! Do you get a volume discount? ;)

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

You said:

I have to buy an annual

Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists. There are a few restrictions but nothing to worry about. You do need a decent computer. 16gb of ram but that is not expensive these days.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member