• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hello from Steven in Winnipeg- I’m a little slow…

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
As is customary, here’s a little bit about who I am and why I joined this forum.

I’m about 4-7(?) years away from retirement so am starting to obtain the tools I’ve always dreamed of. I’ve almost exclusively done woodworking in the last 40 years, but I very much enjoyed metalworking in my teenage years.

My main hobbies are:
  • The Hawker Hurricane (Collecting drawings, photos of construction, books, a little bit of modelling)
  • Working on our cottage during the warmer months (It’s been under renovation for about 30 years…)
  • Classical Guitar (I’m not actively playing at the moment unfortunately)(If I do take up playing again, I’m might end up making another guitar or two when I retire?)
  • Playing in the workshop…
When I was a teenager in Australia, I had access to my step fathers metal fabrication shop (welders, drills and saws, but no machining tools) and I had a great time learning how to use them. I also had a fantastic time building control line model planes and flying them (actually there wasn’t a huge amount of flying, it was more like excavating the local cricket pitch). During high school I loved using the lathes and shaper and so began the dream of one day owning my own lathe. I think these early experiences are why I get such huge satisfaction out of making things.

Then came university, girlfriends, moving to Winnipeg from Australia, getting married, work, cottage etc. etc. etc.

I’m an Electrical Engineer by trade, though I probably should have been an Aeronautical engineer because of my aircraft interests. I did actually think of doing Aeronautical engineering but decided against it because there were very few jobs in Australia for aeronautical engineers and I didn’t want to move overseas… I get great humour from the irony that I moved to Canada… Although at work I get to design things which others construct, I find it’s nowhere near as satisfying as making something with my own hands.

My wife has a few cheap floor lamps, probably from Walmart, which she really likes. One by one they have broken and when the last one broke I said “This would be really easy to fix if I had a lathe. Which I’m going to get anyway when I retire, so I may as well advance my plans a little bit”…

For a bit of fun, here’s my lathe chronology:
  • 1982: Steven plays with a lathe at high school.
  • 1996: Steven moves to Winnipeg from Australia. Our “starter” home is tiny and my workshop is maybe 10’x12’. I probably could have squeezed a tiny lathe in there, but all my tool budget was spent on tools to work on the cottage.
  • 2013: We FINALLY move out of our starter home and my workshop greatly expands to about 1/4 of the basement.
  • 2018 summer: My wife’s lamp breaks, and I start seriously thinking about getting a lathe, something small and relatively inexpensive like a Taig or Sherline. (No, I didn’t purposely break the lamp, the final breakage was curtesy of the cats…).
  • 2019, July: After a most enjoyable year of investigation, I place an order for a 12”x24” gear-head lathe (a Precision Mathew’s PM-1224T)(a 24” bed version of their PM-1236T) This was quite a change from “relatively small and inexpensive”, and for this I have my fitter-machinist brother-in-law to thank.
  • 2019, Early Winter: I show my wife a picture of what the “lathe I’ve ordered to fix your lamps” looks like. It would take several pages to describe the next part of the story, so I’ll just say that her reaction was what I was expecting, and also not what I was expecting.
  • 2019, December: My lathe arrives in North America, but I still have a few projects in my workshop so the company agrees to store it for two months. Around February/March they shut down as Covid spreads…
  • 2020, April 28: My lathe finally arrives in Winnipeg!!! I am amazed at how heavy 900lbs is and I have absolutely no idea how I’m going to get this into the basement. I’ve got plenty of time to work that out though, since cottage season is starting up, my woodworking tools are heading to the cottage and I’m not going to have much time to play with a lathe anyway.
  • 2020, Thanksgiving: Finally the cottage is shut down, and I can start putting my plans into action.
  • 2020, November: I WAY over prepare for moving the lathe. I probably spent enough money on lumber for the ramps to winch the lathe into the basement that I could have purchased a spare Sherline lathe.
  • 2020, Mid November: Winnipeg moves to pandemic level red and any thought of having friends help me with the move is put on hold.
  • 2021, July: Finally COVID numbers are dropping and I can have friends help me, but it’s cottage season now, and all my tools are at the cottage…
  • 2021, late September: Work is settling down, cottage season is drawing to a close, my tools are back in Winnipeg and finally I move the lathe downstairs. It goes mostly smoothly, except for the last part. The last part where I lifted the lathe off the ramp at the bottom of the stairs and the lifting straps slipped was terrifying. I had designed the ramps so they could be split and lowered to give me more headroom to crane the lathe off the ramp, but it was a long day, I was getting tired and naturally this is when shit happens… All’s well that end’s well though, no one was hurt, my lathe is not damaged and it’s safely in the basement.
  • 2021, December: I’ve assembled the lathe on the stand. Learn’t how to lift the lathe up with pry-bars and wedges to get wheels underneath it and rolled it into it’s final location.
  • 2022, March 18: The lathe has been run in and I finally use the lathe to turn something.
I’ve still got to level the lathe, and have purchased a couple of clamp kits to try out. Tomorrow I’m going to pick up some offcuts from a fellow Winnipeger and then start playing in earnest!!!! I’m getting excited!
It’s taken a lot longer than I though it would from ordering to getting the lathe into my workshop, but I’ve sure been enjoying the journey since the cats broke my wife’s last lamp.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
You spin quite an introduction Steve.
Welcome to the CHMW from SW Ontario.

I apprenticed as a general machinist right out of high school for 4 years, spent most of it it working on an Ex-Cell-O #604 knee mill.
The recession of the mid 1980s led me back to school for Engineered & Process Design and my pilot licence for small single engine planes.
I spent work-terms at Kellogg’s Engineering on Dundas Street in London, followed by 7 years at
Big O Tile where I designed their corrugators for up to 44” plastic pipe. The executives had a habit of sending their managers to the Ivey Business School at UWO in London.
20 years of process equipment projects and we are settled nicely in the South Kitchener area.

Where are you from in Australia ?
I ask because I have many relatives there and one of our recent clients is refurbishing a ‘Mihandra‘ Flying Bus that is used all over the Aussie Outback.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Welcome from another newly-lathed guy who rationalized his way into more lathe than is needed to fix the odd bit around the house ;-) I made no mistake.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Welcome from Ontario!

I can really sympathize with delays you faced getting your new lathe into its intended position. My round column mill languished for an awfully long time in the garage before finally making it into the basement. Glad to hear you got past the holdbacks and are set to join the rest of us in turning good metal into 'learning experiences'! ;)

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from corn country south of Chatham Ontario.

Great story! Covid has changed all our lives in so many ways. A few are even for the better. Can't wait to see a few pictures of your bride's new lamps.....

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Hey, someone else that completes projects on the same sort of timeline that I do lol. Welcome from the east GTA Ontario

Snocrusher

(Greg)
Welcome from just north of Wpg. in St Andrews.
My first introduction to a lathe was also in the school's metal shop where I made cannon.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Thankyou @YYCHM , @whydontu , @LenVW , @Chicken lights , @plalonde , @trlvn , @Chip Maker , @David_R8 , @Susquatch , @Dan Dubeau & @Snocrusher for your welcome!!!
You spin quite an introduction...
...Great story!..
Glad you got a chuckle out of my introduction. If I'd been told it was going to take me about 2.5 years from ordering to installation in the basement, I wouldn't have believed it. But here I am....

...I apprenticed...my pilot licence for small single engine planes.
...Where are you from in Australia ?...
That's quite an interesting career. I used to have my pilots license too, great fun.

I was born in Melbourne, but spent the majority of my time in a town called Sawtell (sort of like a suburb of Coffs Harbour), on the east coast of Australian that's roughly half way between Sydney and Brisbane. It's a sub-tropical area where summer is about 25-30C (80%+ humidity...ugh) and winter is about 15C...

You chose Winnipeg??!? Out of aaaalllll the cities in Canada, Winnipeg won out? :D
Funny story (to me...), when I met this cute Canadian girl and was thinking of visiting her in Winnipeg I went to a library where they had an atlas donated by the Canadian Wheat Board. I found what looked like a glaring error in a graph that showed the average temperature in Winnipeg of -20 in winter and +20 in summer... I laugh at my naivety...

... Glad to hear you got past the holdbacks and are set to join the rest of us in turning good metal into 'learning experiences'!...
I like that expression!!!

...We love to see pics here!...
Can't wait to see a few pictures of your bride's new lamps.....
No problem, however based on my current track record it will be a while... My hope is that by next winter I'll have enough experience to fix my wife's lamps: single point thread the new couplers and put the beading on them with a graver or form tool.

Hey, someone else that completes projects on the same sort of timeline that I do lol...
That's great to know that I'm not alone here!

Welcome from just north of Wpg. in St Andrews....
Wonderful that there are others from Manitoba here on the forum!

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
In 1994 . . . I visited a client’s operations that was 30 miles North of Melbourne off the Hume Highway. After we spent a few days in Sydney and a week in Cairns. I had a chance to fly a Cessna 172 over the Barrier Reef and Green Island. That was one of the best thrills I had with my pilot licence Because it was prior to the expansion of the airport and Karanda was still a small farmers market.

Free2fish

Welcome Steven from a fellow Manitoban. I went the Sherline route for a retirement hobby but have hit a slight detour with the recent purchase of a 3D printer. Toys for boys!
Harry

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
…I had a chance to fly a Cessna 172 over the Barrier Reef and Green Island. That was one of the best thrills I had with my pilot licence…
That sounds like a great adventure!!! I learn’t to fly at the Royal Newcastle Aero Club which is in a town called Rutherford about 40 minutes train ride and 20 minutes bike ride from Newcastle (If I recall correctly). It was an uncontrolled airfield where you looked left, looked right and then took off. A lovely place to learn at a relaxed pace.
…have hit a slight detour with the recent purchase of a 3D printer...
I’m sorely tempted to get a 3D printer. I’ve been playing with Fusion 360 for my interest in the Hawker Hurricane so it’s almost irresistible to be able to model something up and have a machine print it!

Thanks @6.5 Fan and @Hruul for the welcome!