Hello from Spruce Grove

Ron-Cairns

Hello to all the followers of this group!
Did you know that there is a metal working group that meets at Humpty's on the south side of Edmonton on the last Thursday of the month? We average about 30 members a month. We have active sub groups on various stuff including casting, edm, cnc and LinuxCNC and organized 2 shows a year.
Nice to join this group!
Ron

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi Ron. What time do you guys meet up on those Thursdays? What are the 2 shows you organize & do you have 2016 dates planned? Not sure I can do the drive for an evening meet, but for sure would like to take in a show, assuming the same gang would be there showing their projects. Are these also model engine dudes like Dave P? Any pics/links to past shows?

Ron-Cairns

Hi Ron. What time do you guys meet up on those Thursdays? What are the 2 shows you organize & do you have 2016 dates planned? Not sure I can do the drive for an evening meet, but for sure would like to take in a show, assuming the same gang would be there showing their projects. Are these also model engine dudes like Dave P? Any pics/links to past shows?

Hello Peter.
We meet the last Thursday at 7:00 pm at Humpty's Family restaurant, 4503 Gateway Blvd, Edmonton. Everyone is welcome. We usually have more members showing their stuff off at our Humpty's show. The date for this show is not set yet but it is usually in early October. For the Reynolds Metal Art show on September 17 and 18, 2016, we usually only have 5 or 6 people from our group showing there but we're always received by the other "artisans". Last year I showed my model of a 1910 windmill and launched my first book on early engine patents. Have a look at the Reynolds site for some pictures, http://history.alberta.ca/reynolds/specialevents/metal-art-show.aspx.
Dave Pape is still a very active builder in our group. What kind of stuff do you build?
Ron

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi Ron. Keep us informed on the October date, I'll make the trip for sure. Yes, I remember your models now. I think you had a contingent of onlookers. Next time I'll say Hi.
I saw Dave.P Edwards engine at a scale RC event near Indus (early 80's). So it was neat to see his projects some 30 years later. I've mostly been doing RC, but this past year finally decided to jump into 'metal' on a 5-cyl radial. http://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/radial-engine-build.68/#post-2331

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hi Ron. Keep us informed on the October date, I'll make the trip for sure. Yes, I remember your models now. I think you had a contingent of onlookers. Next time I'll say Hi.
I saw Dave.P Edwards engine at a scale RC event near Indus (early 80's). So it was neat to see his projects some 30 years later. I've mostly been doing RC, but this past year finally decided to jump into 'metal' on a 5-cyl radial. http://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/radial-engine-build.68/#post-2331
Same here, I would make the trip. Maybe car pool?

Just thinking actually, if we wanted to we could go hit up their meetup sometime too. Would be great if the show happened to be the same week of the last Thursday of the month. Two birds with one trip to Edmonton, haha.

JW

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sounds like a plan to me. As long as I'm not the guy in the rear seat of someone's motorcycle...holding some scrap metal for the swap meet :)

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I can't recall if I've asked, Do you ride a motorcycle? Making it a motorcycle trip would be sweet, but definitely no doubles. Haha

We would make the funniest pair, I picture us trying to pack a small I Beam. Lol

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nope, no bikes in my life unfortunately. Or maybe that's 'fortunately' or maybe I'd have shorter landing gear struts at this point in life :)