• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hello from Rockyview, AB

SparWeb

I found this forum and was surprised to see many members from Calgary and the Alberta area generally.
Seemed like a good place to sign up to see what people in my area are working on, and how they're using their equipment.
I have a very busy day job, but on evenings and weekends I find it very relaxing and satisfying to be making things.

I'll be browsing about for a while, asking questions, and then I hope to come back to this thread and post a few pictures of my shop and past projects.

FYI, Rockyview is the county that surrounds Calgary on 3 sides, like a horseshoe. I'm in the eastern arm of the horseshoe between Irricana and Keoma.

SparWeb

Let me try to attach a picture or two that should capture some of it...

Attachments

• _MG_9276 HUB-s.jpg
    _MG_9276 HUB-s.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200426_121232a.jpg
    20200426_121232a.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 15

SparWeb

So I have some eccentric hobbies, and one of the things I love about them is that they give me an excuse to buy tools and equipment that I then get to learn how to use.
Then when I learn to use that stuff, I come up with even more interesting things to build. And the cycle continues.

I have a Miller 180 MIG welder, plenty of drill presses, grinders, and hand tools for metalworking and woodworking.
I got this lathe as my "2020" project since I was cooped up at home all the time.

Attachments

• 20200915_230147 Panel.jpg
    20200915_230147 Panel.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 10

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I have some eccentric hobbies, and one of the things I love about them is that they give me an excuse to buy tools and equipment that I then get to learn how to use.
Then when I learn to use that stuff, I come up with even more interesting things to build. And the cycle continues.
Well you've come to the right forum to enable your desires and interests!

SparWeb

The point is to do as much as I can myself - the underlying goal is to learn to make stuff. Producing electricity is just a side-benefit.
This year's project has been to give the turbine a much taller tower than i than before. Around me you can see trees, and they are still growing taller. It's a bit of an arms race, really.

This tower has parts turned on the lathe, on a welded frame. The screw piles were installed by a contractor, of course.

Attachments

• 20211024_161409s.jpg
    20211024_161409s.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome! I'm still fairly new to the forum and have found it contains a great bunch of guys.

Nice lathe!

Tom
Vancouver Island

SparWeb

A few years ago, a friend gave me one of these.
I wonder if you can guess what it really is...

Attachments

• 20191017_205642 - Copy.jpg
    20191017_205642 - Copy.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 16

SparWeb

It's called a duplicator. Yeah, "pantograph" too.
A stylus is put on the left arm, and two cutters on the right cut identical parts.

When delivered to me, it was just a jumble of parts, from a guy who had seen it used years before and inherited it in pieces, but never put it back together.

I needed to give it a table, and then fix the collets.

Attachments

• Frame with Rails.jpg
    Frame with Rails.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Test_2_Baluster_Cleanup.jpg
    Test_2_Baluster_Cleanup.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200603_171952_cutter.jpg
    20200603_171952_cutter.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210227_145621 - Copy.jpg
    20210227_145621 - Copy.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 3

SparWeb

Ended up able to do this:

That was just a dry run. I haven't actually made real prop blades with it yet. As you know, the prices of craftsman-grade wood like cedar have gone through the roof in the past year or so. It's on its way down, but I'm not keen to buy a big stack just yet.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Crap, you beat me to the reveal. I was gunna say wood duplicator. Now I'm just an also ran...... :rolleyes:

The screw piles were installed by a contractor, of course.

"of course"???

You will find a mix of people here who would challenge that statement....... It's amazing what others do. I bet a full 1/3 of us would do that part too.

Lest I forget, a huge big welcome to you from farm country south of Chatham Ontario!!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've never seen one in real life and only a little bit in videos but those things look like cool tools from what I've seen so far.

SparWeb

I'm really looking forward to using it "for real" soon.
It was just a gift from a friend, not really a planned project of mine, so it's here mostly looking for a job to do.
The original manufacturer of the machine still has a website but they don't make machines like this any more.
Any interest in suggesting a part to duplicate?
Many examples online show it carving statues, animal figurines, gun stocks, and stuff like that.
Some inspiration from youtube (
) suggests that I can get a set of letter profiles, and after placing them on a board, the carver can make a one-piece profile sign. Two at a time, in fact.

SparWeb

Howdy Kevin,
You're almost next-door, as things go in these parts.
Long ago, I took several flying lessons from the Winters in two of their ultralight Merlins.