• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Ottawa, Ontario

Brent H

Ultra Member
Keep your eyes open for a 11 or 13 inch metric standard modern. They pop up from time to time and are a good quality machine. I have no patience for the metric threading on the lathe and quite frankly if the original metric idiots had just expressed the metric threads as threads per centimeter it would make life so much easier. Must have been one big brain fart when they decided that fractions were so taboo......ahhh the arrogance of science....

Anyway, many of the Standard Modern lathes of older generations (like the 10/12 Utilathe or the 11/13 Series 1000) have different configurations and combinations between full metric, a combination of metric dials and imperial gears or metric/imperial change gears. Probably because of their use in the Military and the schools. There was a nice 11 inch full metric on kijiji Ontario several months back for about $1800

typically if you blink you will miss the deals though.....vicious market out there for the older lathes.....

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Janger : those are nice beasts as well - just about bought one, and would have if another guy did not accept my offer on the Utilathe

Fermic

The kijiji link might be taken according to the view counter.

I'll try my best to find any standard modern but I might become impatient and go with any new lathes.

trlvn

Ultra Member

Wonder why that hasn't been snapped up in the 15 days it has been listed?

$_59.JPG

One of the pictures seems to show it is (or was) 3 phase at 200-some volts for 1.5 HP. I wonder if the red plug is feeding a phase converter? D@mm I wish I had a standalone shop!

Craig
BTW, I got drunk in Heidelburg on a university pub crawl. I'd like to say I have fond memories...but that day is kind of hazy!

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YotaBota , that looks like a newer 11" might be capable of receiving change gears? should be a d-4 chuck mount, which is more common- definitely worth the call

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I've been in contact with them about the lathe myself. Apparently the the headstock is REALLY noisy and it's not metric, they won't sell them individually. I have an ad here on the forum looking for anyone interested in the milling machine to go in with me.

Tom O

Ultra Member
The Harrison is a nice lathe I bought one from Modern tool ( without tailstock ) for $2500. Back around 94 it came with a hydralic copy attachment, for a tailstock we made a new base and swapped between a Standard Modern lathe. It was only used to make anvils for English wheels.

Fermic

Hi everyone again, I finally refined my choice of lathe and I have decided the project for the lathe itself too : manual-CNC lathe with parts like in by buying at Grizzly G0602 which costs the price of King Canada 10x22 after duties and custom brokerage.

The G0602 or King Canada is perfectly usable and cost less by omitting the dedicated power feed which in the future I can upgrade their motor with AC Servo, plus parts to turn it into manual CNC Lathe with ballscrews. Details of modifications will be with CNC Lathe Design without drilling to the original lathe and combing the code source with the youtube video, because I can edit the code or pick better hardware for it.

The lathe harrison is going to ask 550V, so I have swap out the motor or use VFD for that. 2nd Kijiji link is sold out.

Last edited:

Fermic

Update, I just bought Grizzly G0602. It will ship in January 2021, I have time to decide to cancel it. I hope I won't get surprise fees along with duties and taxes.

Something to note, this lathe has recently got the carriage dials, before this Jan 2020 this model did not have it.

Also, I have been reading various books to learn many things : Machine Shop Trade Secrets, Metalworking Doing it right, How to run the metal lathe from south bend.

Fermic

Things happened and I changed my choice then I did go get a different brand of metal lathe.
Emco Compact 8 with mill head with some missing parts that I will find or rebuild them.

It wasn't easy to carry this lathe downstairs with my father, down there without any broken arm. It sits on a reinforced desk with panels, not anchored down.
The tool post is eh, it works but my 3/8 HSS tooling is sitting far below the center line, I just don't want keep using it.
So, I am looking any places that sells the quick change tool post Multifix for my lathe.

IMG_20201229_085615.jpg
IMG_20201229_185219.jpg
IMG_20201229_185232.jpg