• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Northern Alberta

AB_Winter

I have 15+ years of professional design experience using Autocad, Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor, and other software. It's been several years now, but I do have some experience with CNC programming. Unfortunately, I haven't spent much time actually building things, at least not using metal. I've decided to start putting a home machine shop together to remedy this.

I am a hobby furniture maker and I'm exploring lathe options that would be suitable for both wood and metal. I could plan for two lathes, but my workshop is less than 600sq feet and already contains some tools and equipment such as a welder, workbench, wood storage, tools storage, bandsaw, and dust collection system. I plan to spend a couple of weeks browsing the forums, and I will likely have additional questions to post on this subject.

I'm not certain about which sort of projects I would like to concentrate on. I often find that my furniture designs are limited to existing hardware options and it would be nice to have the ability to build hardware to match the design, and not the other way around. I also occasionally have a need for custom tools or jigs. Other projects that interest me are clocks, telegraph keys, antique radio tuning mechanisms, flutes, and uilleann bagpipes.

AB_Winter

Welcome from Calgary. What do you consider northern Alberta to be?
Great question, and I'm not exactly sure of the answer. I'm in the Grande Prairie area, and I always find it funny when some people refer to Edmonton as northern alberta. I guess someone from high level would say the same about Grande Prairie.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Ontario Farmland.

As far as I know, there are no wood/metal lathes. The speeds, tools, and access requirements, rigidity, and workholding are all too different. I do make the odd wooden part on my metal lathe but only because I need to. But I doubt you could ever turn metal on a wood lathe. If you don't have the room, I'd try to decide which you want most and live without the other.

deleted_user

Super User
I have 15+ years of professional design experience using Autocad, Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor, and other software. It's been several years now, but I do have some experience with CNC programming. Unfortunately, I haven't spent much time actually building things, at least not using metal. I've decided to start putting a home machine shop together to remedy this.

I am a hobby furniture maker and I'm exploring lathe options that would be suitable for both wood and metal. I could plan for two lathes, but my workshop is less than 600sq feet and already contains some tools and equipment such as a welder, workbench, wood storage, tools storage, bandsaw, and dust collection system. I plan to spend a couple of weeks browsing the forums, and I will likely have additional questions to post on this subject.

I'm not certain about which sort of projects I would like to concentrate on. I often find that my furniture designs are limited to existing hardware options and it would be nice to have the ability to build hardware to match the design, and not the other way around. I also occasionally have a need for custom tools or jigs. Other projects that interest me are clocks, telegraph keys, antique radio tuning mechanisms, flutes, and uilleann bagpipes.

Just my unsolicited two cents, if you plan to use lathe to turn any furniture parts like spindles, or accessories like platters and bowls, well you will want a dedicated wood lathe. With a good chuck, tool rest and steady hand you can even turn things like brass, and plastics like delrin, and ABS, and composites.

ps welcome from Toronto

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
With a good chuck, tool rest and steady hand you can even turn things like brass, and plastics like delrin, and ABS, and composites.

Well, I can see cutting plastics N stuff, but you cut brass on a wood lathe? I'm VERY IMPRESSED!

How do you handle keeping brass cylindrical without a compound?

deleted_user

Super User
Well, I can see cutting plastics N stuff, but you cut brass on a wood lathe? I'm VERY IMPRESSED!

How do you handle keeping brass cylindrical without a compound?
wide flat cutting tool. that and i turned mostly knobs on the wood lathe. oh and small cannons for ship models

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Great question, and I'm not exactly sure of the answer. I'm in the Grande Prairie area, and I always find it funny when some people refer to Edmonton as northern alberta. I guess someone from high level would say the same about Grande Prairie.
Welcome to the group. I’m originally from the North Peace, I think that is still only half way up Alberta. But I’m now definitely in the southern Alberta.

AB_Winter

Welcome aboard. Some of us here make furniture as well. I'm more on the fabrication side of the metalworking, but occasionally venture into the furniture realm. Here's one of my attempts, but it's more on the beginner's side: https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/small-furniture-project.2323/#post-29557
Compared to the construction 2x4 and deck screw furniture projects that I see people trying to sell locally, I would say you're far beyond the beginner level with this one. It looks great. The zebrawood grain works really well with the metal. I've been considering getting into some hybrid metal/wood projects. Wood suitable for furniture making is pretty expensive here, but there is an abundance of scrap metal available, so it would be a cheap option for me.

AB_Winter

Just my unsolicited two cents, if you plan to use lathe to turn any furniture parts like spindles, or accessories like platters and bowls, well you will want a dedicated wood lathe. With a good chuck, tool rest and steady hand you can even turn things like brass, and plastics like delrin, and ABS, and composites.

ps welcome from Toronto
Thanks, this is really helpful.