• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hello from Northern Alberta

AB_Winter

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've decided to go with a medium sized wood lathe for now, and I plan to buy a smaller metal lathe later this year. I found a wood lathe that has an optional bed extension when needed, but doesn't take up a lot of space. It's heavy enough to be stable, but could be moved to a corner of the shop for storage when not in use. Hopefully this will allow me to arrange things in a way that will allow me to fit two lathes in my limited space.

deleted_user

Super User
a couple of months ago a nice older wadkin lathe came up for sale in alberta... if you can wait they come up from time to time priced between 750 and 1500 usually depending on how fast it needs to be moved. They're well built cast iron, and often have 550 volt motors on them. They're a good medium to heavy lathe that will last you a lifetime, and retain their resale value.

see this example... Im not suggesting you buy this particular one.

wadkin lathe for sale in PQ

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
If anyone wants a good wood lathe, and has just won the lottery, then check out Oneway lathes proudly made in Waterloo Ontario. They are very expensive, and very very stout. Highly regarded by their users, who tend to be pros, but not widely known otherwise.

deleted_user

Super User
If anyone wants a good wood lathe, and has just won the lottery, then check out Oneway lathes proudly made in Waterloo Ontario. They are very expensive, and very very stout. Highly regarded by their users, who tend to be pros, but not widely known otherwise.

Haha how did you know my plan to pay for a oneway?

I'm actually accumulating scrap parts to make a oneway style lathe

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I do mostly machine work. When I do occasional woodwork, I haul my table saw outdoors. I find that sawdust , cutting fluids and welding are just not good companions. I'd look at a way to have two sperate machines.