Hello from Newcastle, Ontario

Shadow

Well, I was going to add something along the lines of Ask if he will take a deposit to hold it for you. My experience is that good deals don't last. You gotta call, get the address, jump in the car, be the first one there, and bring a fat envelope of money. The only time they don't sell fast is right after you buy one.

Truthfully, if you want to get a nice machine you have to know what you want and you need to get there yesterday. That can be risky, especially with a long drive, but it doesn't seem to work any other way.
That has been my experience as well.
I guess the things is, I'm still trying to figure out what it is I'm looking for.
It's also really difficult for me to recognize a good deal yet.
The search continues.

DaveK

Several decades ago I participated in a news group (text-only predecessors to forums) on the Internet called rec.crafts.metalworking. There were some fascinating folks there (not me) and in many ways they got me started down the home shop machining and backyards casting path ... damn them ! Anyway, there was a very knowledgeable and friendly machine dealer name Dave Ficken, owner of Meridian Machinery, who helped many of the local (not sure where he was from, I suspect US eastern seaboard or maybe the rustbelt) amateurs out in all sorts of ways. If it helps he wrote up some advice that might come in handy ( a very very old link that still works !!!!) :

Dave <-- first saw the World Wide Web when there were about 75 total sites ... and no, I did not drop any zeros

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Dave <-- first saw the World Wide Web when there were about 75 total sites ... and no, I did not drop any zeros

Very cool link, and a big hello from another web Pioneer. I first used the web before it was public and one of the first public uses was what they used to call bulletin boards. It has been an amazing ride from a small group of interconnected pioneers to the truly world wide web that it was called very early on but really wasn't and actually is now. LOL!

Shadow

Several decades ago I participated in a news group (text-only predecessors to forums) on the Internet called rec.crafts.metalworking. There were some fascinating folks there (not me) and in many ways they got me started down the home shop machining and backyards casting path ... damn them ! Anyway, there was a very knowledgeable and friendly machine dealer name Dave Ficken, owner of Meridian Machinery, who helped many of the local (not sure where he was from, I suspect US eastern seaboard or maybe the rustbelt) amateurs out in all sorts of ways. If it helps he wrote up some advice that might come in handy ( a very very old link that still works !!!!) :

Thanks for sharing that link. Very helpful info for a newbie like me.

DaveK

Very cool link, and a big hello from another web Pioneer. I first used the web before it was public and one of the first public uses was what they used to call bulletin boards. It has been an amazing ride from a small group of interconnected pioneers to the truly world wide web that it was called very early on but really wasn't and actually is now. LOL!
The 75 sites were all over the world, but of course they were all text-only pages ... with blue-text to indicate it was a link to another page. I was able to connect with NetNorth (and on to BitNet) as part of my work with a networking company. The world has evolved a tad since those days :)

Dave

deleted_user

Super User
Hello to everyone.

I've worked as an industrial mechanic/millwright for the last 34 years. While I'm certainly no expert, I've always enjoyed using lathes and a mills at work to do my own little home projects.
As I'm approaching retirement, (and will be losing any access to a machine shop), I've been thinking about getting a lathe and a mill for my shop at home. I just started looking into the possibilities. I'll probably start with buying a lathe. I found this forum while looking for reviews of lathes.
I'm open to any suggestions that anyone may have.

This is what I THINK I want:

-definitely no bigger than a 1440
-220 volt single phase
-I don't want to be changing belts to change spindle speed.
-coolant system
-digital readout would be nice

Looking forward to learning.

Welcome from Toronto.

Did you get that 12x36 lathe?

I ask since my brother and I own a 12x36 gap bed lathe the same size and very similar in construction. The first thing I'd say is make sure you can move it safely and without damaging it. We've had to move ours 4 times now... it is nerve wracking even with knowing just what to do.

That is an ideal size in my opinion, but I'd try to find a decent older model and convert to a 3 phase motor and a VFD. We just made the switch on our lathe. Best decision ever.

If you didn't get that lathe let me know and I'll keep an eye out for you. I know someone who may have an older but very nice Logan they may sell.

Shadow

Welcome from Toronto.

Did you get that 12x36 lathe?

I ask since my brother and I own a 12x36 gap bed lathe the same size and very similar in construction. The first thing I'd say is make sure you can move it safely and without damaging it. We've had to move ours 4 times now... it is nerve wracking even with knowing just what to do.

That is an ideal size in my opinion, but I'd try to find a decent older model and convert to a 3 phase motor and a VFD. We just made the switch on our lathe. Best decision ever.

If you didn't get that lathe let me know and I'll keep an eye out for you. I know someone who may have an older but very nice Logan they may sell.
No. That lathe was sold.
I'm still looking.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I guess the things is, I'm still trying to figure out what it is I'm looking for.
welcome to the forum. Problem is you'll get so many different views you'll be more confused than ever.

A couple of thoughts

1) I'd be less inclinded toward a lathe with running coolant (water soluble like 99.9% of its). While I love flood on a mill or grinder, the nature of the geometry usually means the ways aren't soaking in it. With a lathe, it just can make a mess of things and it isn't that necessary. A lot of lathes that have coolant their whole production lives are in pretty rough shape.

2) Accessories and tooling. i would wait for deal that has a good three jaw, four jaw, faceplate traveling and fixed steadies, drill chuck, centres and hopefully collets and a taper attachment. You get this stuff for pennies on the dollar when its all package but will go broke accumulating it all afterward.

3) don't let the 600V 3P scare you off. They can be the perfect deal; that it is 600 3P scares away a lot of the competition. Do know what you are doing however before working with 600V. (its not that hard) or get some help.

4) whatever you get, its not forever so don't sweat it too much....at some point you need certainly over clarity.

Shadow

welcome to the forum. Problem is you'll get so many different views you'll be more confused than ever.

A couple of thoughts

1) I'd be less inclinded toward a lathe with running coolant (water soluble like 99.9% of its). While I love flood on a mill or grinder, the nature of the geometry usually means the ways aren't soaking in it. With a lathe, it just can make a mess of things and it isn't that necessary. A lot of lathes that have coolant their whole production lives are in pretty rough shape.

2) Accessories and tooling. i would wait for deal that has a good three jaw, four jaw, faceplate traveling and fixed steadies, drill chuck, centres and hopefully collets and a taper attachment. You get this stuff for pennies on the dollar when its all package but will go broke accumulating it all afterward.

3) don't let the 600V 3P scare you off. They can be the perfect deal; that it is 600 3P scares away a lot of the competition. Do know what you are doing however before working with 600V. (its not that hard) or get some help.

4) whatever you get, its not forever so don't sweat it too much....at some point you need certainly over clarity.
Thanks for the advice.
I certainly agree that the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.