Hello from Newcastle, Ontario

Shadow

Hello to everyone.

I've worked as an industrial mechanic/millwright for the last 34 years. While I'm certainly no expert, I've always enjoyed using lathes and a mills at work to do my own little home projects.
As I'm approaching retirement, (and will be losing any access to a machine shop), I've been thinking about getting a lathe and a mill for my shop at home. I just started looking into the possibilities. I'll probably start with buying a lathe. I found this forum while looking for reviews of lathes.
I'm open to any suggestions that anyone may have.

This is what I THINK I want:

-definitely no bigger than a 1440
-220 volt single phase
-I don't want to be changing belts to change spindle speed.
-coolant system
-digital readout would be nice

Looking forward to learning.

Shadow

Welcome from Calgary. How much room do you have shop wise?
Ahahaha!
Not much right now. My shop is 18 1/2'x29', but it's got 3 motorcycles and a bunch of other stuff in it.
I will have to get rid of a couple of bikes and get rid of some other stuff to make room.

Shadow

Welcome from Hamilton ON! Are you looking for new or used machines?
I see advantages to both new and used.
The problem I have with used is that I don't know what I'm looking at, or even what I really want.
Kijiji seems to have machines that are quite small (lacking some features that I want), or quite large machines that I don't have room for, nor the 600 volt, 3 phase power that I would need to run them.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Welcome to the ‘Hobby‘ Club.
Lots of experiences in this group that has members across Canada.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hello to everyone.

I've worked as an industrial mechanic/millwright for the last 34 years. While I'm certainly no expert, I've always enjoyed using lathes and a mills at work to do my own little home projects.
As I'm approaching retirement, (and will be losing any access to a machine shop), I've been thinking about getting a lathe and a mill for my shop at home. I just started looking into the possibilities. I'll probably start with buying a lathe. I found this forum while looking for reviews of lathes.
I'm open to any suggestions that anyone may have.

This is what I THINK I want:

-definitely no bigger than a 1440
-220 volt single phase
-I don't want to be changing belts to change spindle speed.
-coolant system
-digital readout would be nice

Looking forward to learning.

Welcome from farmland south of Chatham Ontario.

I assume you know that a 3 phase 220V motor is totally possible, has many advantages, and is relatively inexpensive to do running off of the 220V single phase that most home shops have using a VFD?

Shadow

Welcome from farmland south of Chatham Ontario.

I assume you know that a 3 phase 220V motor is totally possible, has many advantages, and is relatively inexpensive to do running off of the 220V single phase that most home shops have using a VFD?
Thanks Susquatch, but you can't assume that I know anything.... especially electrical.
I don't know anything about VFDs, but will look into it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Check out a few YouTube videos. Just search vfd.

A VFD will allow you to run a 220V 3phase motor on single phase. Depending on your needs, it will also give you some variable speed too.

trlvn

Ultra Member
@Shadow This was just posted on New Year's Eve...

s-l640.jpg

It is a bit of a hike from you but maybe meets your needs?

Incidentally, one of the pictures says it was purchased from Powermaster Machinery. Turns out they are only a few minutes from my place:

I have no experience with them but they apparently offer both new and used metalworking equipment. FWIW,

Craig

Shadow

s-l640.jpg

Incidentally, one of the pictures says it was purchased from Powermaster Machinery. Turns out they are only a few minutes from my place:

I have no experience with them but they apparently offer both new and used metalworking equipment. FWIW,

Craig
Thanks Craig.
That looks like a possibility.
I think I need to do some more research before I pull the trigger. I also need to make some more room in my shop.
Probably not until the spring when I can sell a couple of motorcycles.

Shadow

s-l640.jpg

Craig
I keep looking at this lathe. I like the size of it. It has everything I want except a coolant system, which should be a fairly easy modification.
I can't seem to find much information on Morton lathes.
Does anyone have any experience with them?

trlvn

Ultra Member
I can't seem to find much information on Morton lathes.
Does anyone have any experience with them?
No experience, but it seems this line is made by Frejoth (Taiwan):

Scroll down to "AC Inverter Precision Lathe" which might be a similar 12X36 model.

You might want to contact Powermaster in Mississauga since it appears they originally sold the machine.

Have you emailed the guy offering it?

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The lathe looks great.

The trouble is asking the seller questions is hard to do for a machine like that. They might lie but what do have to lose?

I'd start by outright asking the guy if there is anything wrong with it?

Anything missing?

Change gears all there?

Properly maintained?

Why is he selling it?

What does he have to facilitate loading?

What is his address and when can you go and look at it?

Price? Will he take less if it's cash?

The description sounds good. No tooling, but so what? That's usually the norm for a new machine.

I don't think there is a lot you can get by talking to the seller on the phone anyway. Sooner or later you have to go look for yourself. That's when you get to look at the details. But you have to get there first. And sometimes sellers will outright tell you why it's not worth your effort to go look.

In other words, you have to call, and if it doesn't end there, you have to go look.

Shadow

The lathe looks great.

The trouble is asking the seller questions is hard to do for a machine like that. They might lie but what do have to lose?

I'd start by outright asking the guy if there is anything wrong with it?

Anything missing?

Change gears all there?

Properly maintained?

Why is he selling it?

What does he have to facilitate loading?

What is his address and when can you go and look at it?

Price? Will he take less if it's cash?

The description sounds good. No tooling, but so what? That's usually the norm for a new machine.

I don't think there is a lot you can get by talking to the seller on the phone anyway. Sooner or later you have to go look for yourself. That's when you get to look at the details. But you have to get there first. And sometimes sellers will outright tell you why it's not worth your effort to go look.

In other words, you have to call, and if it doesn't end there, you have to go look.
Thanks for the advice, but I just heard back... the lathe is sold.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for the advice, but I just heard back... the lathe is sold.

Well, I was going to add something along the lines of Ask if he will take a deposit to hold it for you. My experience is that good deals don't last. You gotta call, get the address, jump in the car, be the first one there, and bring a fat envelope of money. The only time they don't sell fast is right after you buy one.

Truthfully, if you want to get a nice machine you have to know what you want and you need to get there yesterday. That can be risky, especially with a long drive, but it doesn't seem to work any other way.