• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hello from Cuba

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I just assumed @jcdammeyer has been walking in circles for 2 weeks. He got deliberately lost in paradise and finally decided to try to keep track of where he has been.

I can't zoom in to see if there are any numbers on the tag. If so, that might tell us how many times he went around that particular circle.

They really are very cool roots!
Actually, just within sight from one tag there is another way in the distance. They are visible pretty well when going in either direction. If they weren't there and you didn't have a compass it would be very easy to get lost and travel in circles. The distance from the parking lot to the beach isn't really far but it's a good two hour hike. I have lots of photos of that short getaway...

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Actually, just within sight from one tag there is another way in the distance. They are visible pretty well when going in either direction. If they weren't there and you didn't have a compass it would be very easy to get lost and travel in circles. The distance from the parking lot to the beach isn't really far but it's a good two hour hike. I have lots of photos of that short getaway...
We like photos.....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
John,
I didn’t know you had Kiwi experiences.

My wife worked in Auckland, New Zealand with KPMG for a couple months while I was accessing a business in Melbourne, Australia.
New Zealand is on my list for a revisit.

It is one of the very few places I would go to again. If Canada went bad (heaven forbid) I'd even move there.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I was joking! I had no idea that's what they really are!

Truth be told I thought maybe they were marking trees for future removal to improve the overall health of the forest.

Go Figure!

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member

Tom O

Ultra Member
So if it is for locating direction is there a different Color tag on the other side?
Just wondering if it is like the moss grows on the north side of the tree tale.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
So if it is for locating direction is there a different Color tag on the other side?
Just wondering if it is like the moss grows on the north side of the tree tale.
No. Not that I remember. It was so easy to get lost. Often there was no trail so to speak. So just line up to the next marker and head in that general direction. Other places there were trails. Not sure I remember in the darker parts if there even was moss on only one side.

We are definitely going to have to back.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Speaking of the 90’s . . .
We were in Cancun and my buddy went diving to the ‘Cave of the Sleeping Sharks‘.
The rest if us stayed at ‘Senior Frogs’ and drank. LOL

As a follow up, I an back. Had a great time, good food locals where great.

HOWEVER, while we lived like kings there the locals are definitely doing without. It is actual funny (in the very negative sense of term) what they have and don't. They can get electronics and cell phones and have interent. They don't have medicine, food, cooking oil consistently, soap and essentials that we take for granted. Even those that make money with tips, can't get it because it is not available.

Remember this when you go it is a great place to go, but respect those there they do their best to make it that way.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
As a follow up, I an back. Had a great time, good food locals where great.

HOWEVER, while we lived like kings there the locals are definitely doing without. It is actual funny (in the very negative sense of term) what they have and don't. They can get electronics and cell phones and have interent. They don't have medicine, food, cooking oil consistently, soap and essentials that we take for granted. Even those that make money with tips, can't get it because it is not available.

Remember this when you go it is a great place to go, but respect those there they do their best to make it that way.
When we went to Cancun in the 1990s I brought a $10 ‘Blue Jays’ cap and gave it to our Hotel Purser at the start of our week. We had the best tables at dinner and other extras . . .all week !!