• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from America

Hi. My name is Michael. I'm an office manager at a non-profit in Detroit, MI. I've slowly been reading/re-searching and acquiring tools so that I can get into metal working. My primary interest (right now) is in scale models of vehicles. I just acquired my first real lathe (an Emco Maximat Super 11) and am in the process of planning the setup for my home shop.

deleted_user

Super User
Welcome from Toronto.

My family hails from the Detroit-Toledo corridor... I got into metal working for live steam and model making. There used to be large show in Detroit but I haven't seen if it has been held in the last 10 years or more.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Hi Michael,
Lots of advice and assistance in this group of hobbyists.

In did visit the Garden City area for hockey games years ago.
Has the Detroit core been experiencing an urban renewal ?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi Michael, welcome!

I worked a good chuck of my career in Detroit.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Welcome!

Does whoever runs this place regret making it "Canadian"? Though I do find the members here more awesome than usual...I wonder if a bigger audience would help.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome!

Does whoever runs this place regret making it "Canadian"? Though I do find the members here more awesome than usual...I wonder if a bigger audience would help.

There is a forum history if you want to know how it all came to be.

Clearly our Calgary roots show through.

I enjoy having folks from other countries as members - if for no other reason than to add an international flavour.

But I also like the Canadian flavour very much. We have different issues in Canada - not the least of which are material supply and tool availability, used equipment, rules & standards, etc etc.

I belong to several US forums that I enjoy too for different reasons like experience, broader perspectives, bigger audience, more members, etc. etc.

But truth be told, CHMW has become my goto forum for many reasons not the least of which is the blend of great humour, the colour of the comments, the availability of good aluminium advice, the fact that many members are neighbours, and last but not least the Canadian "ou" spelling of all the above..... ;)

I would not vote for any deliberate attempt to expand our focus. Practical Machinist fills that role just fine.

Perhaps it might help to put it another way. I would never dump CHMW in favour of Practical Machinist or any other more international forum.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Welcome!

I often think of my second favourite (@Susquatch this "ou's" for you) forum, snowblower.com, which started in Toronto, but actually has more of its 28,000 members in the USA than in Canada. In fact, it has tons of members around the world and many in countries such as Sweden, Norway, Germany, etc. So there was a evolution there, and perhaps we will go through something similar on this forum over time as well. Having said that, I believe snowblower.com has paid staff, whereas we use volunteers.

I can't say enough about the admins (I'm not one of them) on this site, and thank them for keeping what has become a daily part of my life fun, educational and social. At least one of the admins here has a background in communications so I'm sure if there were a goal to become more international, it could be easily achieved. But it is lots of work (especially if you are not being paid :) )

It a good question you ask. Either way, we love it when non-Canadians join and certainly welcome our American friends. If you can be bribed with Maple Syrup or (superior) Canadian beer, there are members who would love to chat about cross-border machinery scouting with you.

Welcome.

@Jwest7788 @Alexander @Janger

Last edited: