Hello from America

From my perspective, I think having a Canadian focus is great and like others said, makes it something different from Practical Machinist and other sites. At the same time everyone has been very welcoming to me and I think that's the right approach. Canadian focus, but welcoming to people from other countries and territories who find the site.

If I can somehow be helpful to anyone looking for machinery in the US just send me a chat and I will see what I can do. I found this forum in the first place because I was having a hard time locating Rusnok mills in the US. For some reason a regular google search didn't turn up this site, but when I did a google image search for Rusnok images posted within the past week this site finally came up and I was able to get in touch with a member who had one for sale.

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
From my perspective, I think having a Canadian focus is great and like others said, makes it something different from Practical Machinist and other sites. At the same time everyone has been very welcoming to me and I think that's the right approach. Canadian focus, but welcoming to people from other countries and territories who find the site.

If I can somehow be helpful to anyone looking for machinery in the US just send me a chat and I will see what I can do. I found this forum in the first place because I was having a hard time locating Rusnok mills in the US. For some reason a regular google search didn't turn up this site, but when I did a google image search for Rusnok images posted within the past week this site finally came up and I was able to get in touch with a member who had one for sale.
Heck we’ve even let in people from Quebec. It was all downhill from there :D

Welcome aboard

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Well I certainly wasn't denying I like the Canadian aspects of it...the people here are super friendly and helpful and I'm starting to recognize more and more of the regular posters.

Was just a thought given this new user was from the US, if it was unfortunate we didn't have those in say Michigan which is a closer neighbour to us Ontario folks than someone in say BC even.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Thanks for the shout-out @CalgaryPT ,

Yeah, when this forum was first started, I was already frequenting another well-known 'hobby machinist' focused forum and was aware of other players in the space.

The Canadian focus actually even started smaller. At the very very beginning, this was "Southern Alberta Hobby Metal Workers", but within a few weeks, the folks involved agreed that we may have been looking too close to home and expanded the scope across the nation.

There may come a time when we look at a similar process, but no plans on my end for now. Definitely, anyone is welcome in my books though.

~ JW

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Well I certainly wasn't denying I like the Canadian aspects of it...the people here are super friendly and helpful and I'm starting to recognize more and more of the regular posters.

Was just a thought given this new user was from the US, if it was unfortunate we didn't have those in say Michigan which is a closer neighbour to us Ontario folks than someone in say BC even.
I could see positioning this group as targetting Canadians and Canadian-Spirited folks
i.e. Future Canadians:
--> Somewhere between poutine and free healthcare to fix poutine-induced health concerns, anyone could be at risk of becoming Canadian one day. haha