• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, Newmarket, April 6/2024. Discussion

Hello Everyone

LinsG

Hello from Red Deer. I've always been interested in learning how to do some milling work and might finally do some good research on a machine to possibly purchase. I've come across a few good threads which is why I decided to join so I'll start reading up on those before I start another thread.

Thanks!

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Ottawa On. Lots of great people on here with lots of great ideas and opinions.
Lots of great threads on mills and using them.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Ontario Farm Country. I grow rocks and use my machinery to repair the damage rocks do to my farm equipment.

This is an awesome forum. You will get lots of great advice here.

What kind of milling work are you wanting to learn about doing?

Is a lathe in your future too?

LinsG

Thank you everyone!
What kind of milling work are you wanting to learn about doing?

Is a lathe in your future too?
Im into radio control vehicles and would love to try making a working model engine of some sort. So I’m assuming a lathe would be needed as well at some point.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow..... That's a lofty goal!

Yes, you will need a lathe. In fact depending on what you make vs what you buy, you might want to get a lathe first.

If I were doing it (and I am not doing it), I'd make a component list and then decide what to source and what to make and maybe go from there.

Quite a few members on here make model engines and some are into R/C. Actually, I do R/C too (helicopters) but I buy my stuff already made. Anyway, my point is that some make engines and vehicle parts. You might do a search on radio or remote or model and see if you can find a few and then PM them. They could prolly give you better advice on priorities than I can.

LinsG

Wow..... That's a lofty goal!

Yes, you will need a lathe. In fact depending on what you make vs what you buy, you might want to get a lathe first.

If I were doing it (and I am not doing it), I'd make a component list and then decide what to source and what to make and maybe go from there.

Quite a few members on here make model engines and some are into R/C. Actually, I do R/C too (helicopters) but I buy my stuff already made. Anyway, my point is that some make engines and vehicle parts. You might do a search on radio or remote or model and see if you can find a few and then PM them. They could prolly give you better advice on priorities than I can.
Yes it’s not a right now goal, but you asked and I did download the Edward’s radial plans years ago. I have ground based r/c, a Raptor 50 Heli, Vario Astar gas half built, Aeroworks 75cc Extra, a 1/3 scale Waco that I want to build - would be awesome to build a radial to fit in that, especially since Moki engines etc have skyrocketed in price. Just to learn how to shave a layer of aluminum off a fresh billet would be great. We had a milling machine and lathe at my previous work but I never touched them.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes it’s not a right now goal, but you asked and I did download the Edward’s radial plans years ago. I have ground based r/c, a Raptor 50 Heli, Vario Astar gas half built, Aeroworks 75cc Extra, a 1/3 scale Waco that I want to build - would be awesome to build a radial to fit in that, especially since Moki engines etc have skyrocketed in price. Just to learn how to shave a layer of aluminum off a fresh billet would be great. We had a milling machine and lathe at my previous work but I never touched them.

Sounds like you are in great command of what you want. Just reach out anytime on the board or privately. We are all here to help!

I think helping others spend their money is one of our side hobbies...... LOL!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Welcome man...this forum is awesome to an extreme for a person such as yourself wanting to learn and eventually build a "bucket list" item. I'm betting every one of us members have been in the same boat.

And I'm only 30 minutes east of you ( I'm home 99% of the time & pavement all the way except the last 1/2 mile) and you are welcome to visit for coffee/bull session or look at & use some entry level machines before you purchase. I can show you what a hobby shop looks like in real life....crowded with machines, crud & cuttings from wood-steel-aluminum most anywhere you want to look...and a hundred different jigs built for long forgotten "jobs" that lean against the wall. For the life of me I cant remember what their for but if i do their ready LOL

LinsG

Welcome man...this forum is awesome to an extreme for a person such as yourself wanting to learn and eventually build a "bucket list" item. I'm betting every one of us members have been in the same boat.

And I'm only 30 minutes east of you ( I'm home 99% of the time & pavement all the way except the last 1/2 mile) and you are welcome to visit for coffee/bull session or look at & use some entry level machines before you purchase. I can show you what a hobby shop looks like in real life....crowded with machines, crud & cuttings from wood-steel-aluminum most anywhere you want to look...and a hundred different jigs built for long forgotten "jobs" that lean against the wall. For the life of me I cant remember what their for but if i do their ready LOL
Whereabouts? We have friends near Delburne, I looked at a house in the Pine Lake area yesterday. I’ll probably take you up on your offer sometime.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@historicalarms

Huh. For some stupid reason I thought you were over on the Manitoba / Ontario border! No idea whatsoever how I got that dumb idea!

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Hey, I was in Red Deer in 1985.
They had a rodeo at the time and a guy was forging his own horse shoe nails.
Have you heard of anybody doing that anymore ?